YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   prerunner vs. rock crawler 1990 pickup (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/prerunner-vs-rock-crawler-1990-pickup-209823/)

toral789 04-17-2010 08:07 AM

prerunner vs. rock crawler 1990 pickup

fhi im new to this site and ive been navigating around looking at different pics and what really catches my eyes are the prerunners, ive also benn trying to find what components make up a prerunner and cant find any threads, even though i'd like a prerunner look i want something that crawls like a damn spider... if its possible, any help would be much apreciated... also im a noob at this so if this isnt possible just give me a dose of reality:saw:
my truck is a 1990 toyota pickup xlt cab 4x4 sr5

WILLTHISIFSGOHIGHER 04-27-2010 03:26 AM

Thats a two world deal there prerunning and crawlin. I think those prerunners are way cool lookin, and man can they fly across the desert but I just wouldnt be able to justify spending that much money on a 2wd. That is just my opinion, Im a little more chill with it and I like to be able to crawl, and be able to go just about anywhere and not get left behind. So I say build a rig for what you like best and then sit back and enjoy it. Good luck!!

xxxtreme22r 04-27-2010 04:48 AM

FYI most prerunners toyota or otherwise are built on 4WD chassis.

Yotakid23 04-27-2010 10:35 PM

I started out liking the prerunners too, but trying to build a crawler stemed from where i live, I dont have deserts to speed across, but i do have hills and rocks. Also, at first I know looks are important but I promise funtionality will end up being much more important I promise. Just have fun with it, and I wouldnt ask other people unless its like a tech question, just because in the end its your truck, so make it how you want it

peow130 04-27-2010 10:42 PM

Most pre-runners are long travelled pickups.
You can get long travel and still do rock crawling if you keep the front diff and stuff..

whutface 04-27-2010 10:58 PM

They way I wanna go is get one of the long travel kits that use the t-100 cv's. that way you get badass long travel and still keep 4wd

yotaman85 04-27-2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by whutface (Post 51432786)
They way I wanna go is get one of the long travel kits that use the t-100 cv's. that way you get badass long travel and still keep 4wd

+1. build a pre-runner and keep your 4WD. you will want your sway bars for the high speed stuff but will not want it for a trail rig. get some quick disconnect sway bar links from wabbfabb and get the long travel kit from blazeland. its a very good setup and will let you do both without compromising.

ckblum 04-28-2010 06:40 PM

You won't be able to run the stock sway bar with the LT kits, it is over 3" wider per side. Besides that I don't think any of the desert guys even run sway bars on their front ends and only run rear sway bars with 3/4 links. You don't need it going fast, if anything you want the opposite so that each side works more independent of each other without a sway bar connection them.

yotaman85 04-28-2010 06:52 PM

the blazeland kit uses moded stock arms, so you still have the mounting points for the swap bar. and if yoar gonna be driving a long travel truck on the street you better have sway bars, or the first time you swerve to avoid a dog you will be in a hairy situation..

BlazeN8 04-29-2010 08:46 PM

You can use the T-100 sway bars on the Blazeland LT. But, the extra track width of the Long arms makes things fairly stable without them. If you like sweeper turns on the mountain roads and the body roll sketches you out, then it might be worth it. Also, make sure you get the T-100 brackets. The diameter of the T100 bars is larger. The attacment at the arms will simply bolt right in. Attachment at the frame needs some simple modification. (2) of the (4) holes bolt right up but you will need to drill and tap for the other (2) holes. And yes, get some sway bar disconnects for the trail. I think Northwest Offroad still carries disconnects specifically for Toyotas.