Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Potential buyer/ general questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential buyer/ general questions

I am in the market for a toyota pickup as a beater truck for back and forth to work and hunting, firewood, etc. Aka, something I don't mind scratching and denting, rather than my newer model tacoma. I am a novice on automotive/toyota knowledge, once you get past basic maintenance. With that being said, I've looked all over Craigslist and Facebook market and found a few pickups within my price range, but I am not 100% sure of what I'm looking at, and don't want to be fooled or buy junk. I was just wanting some general info on what to seek out in a truck, what to completely avoid, etc. I know most of these trucks are 30 years old and lots have wear and tear from that. There are lots posted that are beat to death, lifted way too high to be my daily driver, too nice/expensive for my budget.

I've found one in particular that I like. Has a cheesy camo job, but looks to be a solid truck. Motor supposedly completely rebuilt, several other small things with 285s, which is about the stance I'd like. It appears to have a lift but after talking to the guy he says he's not sure if it has a lift or he can't identify it. But looking at the back bumper, it sits a little lower like when you have a body lift. I'm not crazy about body lifts, at least not more than an inch or two, plus I just hate seeing the frame. I would rather have a mild suspension lift and maybe crank the torsion bars just a little to fit the tires. What do you guys think? And about this truck in general? Anything more I should ask him before going to look at it an hour away? Anything I should look for if I go look at it in person?

Truck link:
https://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/6021960143.html
Old 03-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Oh man there's just so much...

Rebuilt engine and new transmission don't mean much unless you know how well the engine was rebuilt and the condition and mileage of the transmission. Receipts? Or was a home job? Always scary.

Depending on where you are, check for frame rust holes and rot. Check close for oil leaks.

Feel how tight or loose it feels when driving. Make sure to test the 4wd.

If he pleads ignorance on too many things about the new and rebuilt stuff, I'd be very cautious. Why did it need a rebuild at only 180,000 or so miles? I mean it happens, but if the truck was abused, there will be more abuse parts.

Price is very dependent on location. So just look around more on craigslist and see what similar trucks are going for. Hard to tell anything from the photos, really. They aren't very good.

See how much "slop" there is in the shifter. Tight or loose? Depending on your year Tacoma, you just won't know how these trucks should feel, and what should be concerning. I guess my best advice would be, if you decide to go see it, try real hard to find a friend who has experience with older Toyotas.