YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   One Locker(aussie)...Rear or Front. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/one-locker-aussie-rear-front-161642/)

MATTSRED 12-13-2008 08:43 PM

One Locker(aussie)...Rear or Front.

IFS and planing on getting an aussie locker (just one) soon and heard people saying its better to put in front.........

but have heard its better to put into the rear?¿ :think:

overall im thinking the front makes more sense to me but would like some info /

some past experience.. :D

jsn_stockard 12-13-2008 08:47 PM

Rear. Front makes steering harder and cv stress

MATTSRED 12-13-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by jsn_stockard (Post 50998545)
Rear. Front makes steering harder and cv stress

steering harder....already dont have power steering :hillbill:

good points though..

scuba 12-13-2008 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by MATTSRED (Post 50998549)
steering harder....already dont have power steering :hillbill:

Join the club... I feel ya pain man..
anyway...
I find my rear axle to get air more then a front tire...I think...So id say rear..

:dj:

toyNG 02-24-2009 09:37 PM

bringing back an old thread...

From reading this post, and many others like it on this site, it seems that most people recommend getting a rear locker before a front. The most common reason I've read is that a front locker has the tendency to grenade the IFS and steering.

However, the Aussie website seems to recommend getting a front before the rear. Here are some quotes.

"If a vehicle has an IFS (Independent Front Suspension) system then the front installation will result in a dramatic increase in 4WD capability. This is because all IFS vehicles have very limited suspension movement (wheel travel and articulation) resulting in easily lifted wheels and a loss of front traction. Installing a front locker will solve the deficiency. "
"A front installation will usually yield the greatest improvement in off-road capability. This is due to the general requirement of increased in traction under hill climbing or rock crawling. Under full climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels carry a much greater weight (weight transfer) and therefore, the front carries less weight and tends to break traction very easily.

Once one front wheel starts to spin the other wheel stops turning and the whole front diff ceases to provide traction. At this point the load is transferred to the rear diff as if the vehicle was a 2WD and due to the increased load the rear wheels tend to spin and the vehicle stops. If you can stop the front wheel from spinning you have solved the traction problem. In addition to the traction performance a front installation does not introduce any changes in handling characteristics. "

these quotes are found here http://offroadlockers.com/faq.php/TM1cf368/1cff/.html

The reasoning on the Aussie website sounds pretty convincing. Does this not apply to our trucks? just wanting to gather some thoughts...

tc 02-25-2009 09:40 AM

I think the Aussie article is dead on - I TOTALLY agree that a front locker makes a bigger difference than a rear locker, but it also has more downsides - potentially more stress on the CV's and front diff than the stronger rear components, increased steering effort and turning radius, etc.

As for the thought of "if I install a front locker, my CV's and front diff will spontaneously grenade" ... it's absolutely not true. While there is potential to wedge a tire and send a ton of torque to it with a locker, that situation is totally avoidable. A locker will PREVENT damage in a lot of unavoidable situations by limiting the shock loading - with an open diff, when the wheel comes off the ground, it spins 2x faster. When it comes bouncing down, there is a sudden shock load as it slows to 1x speed or even slower depending on traction on the other side. With a locker, it only spins 1x speed and likely the vehicle is moving at that speed, so there is little shock loading upon the impact.

hooligan750 02-25-2009 10:02 AM

from my experience I had an 01 taco with a rear elocker and it worked very well I could go a ton of places with ease that my brother in his unlocked runner couldnt go. It seems to me that a smart driver has an easier time placing his front tires so they are always in contact with something but in doing so does not aleays create an optimum situation for the rears, so if the rear is locked you dont have to worry abour rear tire placement as much. That and it makes for cooler burnouts in the parking lot. my vote is for the rear.

Randy1 02-25-2009 12:06 PM

I have an aussie in the front and love it. Still waiting for them to make one for the V6 4 pinion rear. It does pull to the side in some situations so I don't drive it in 4wd on the hwy unless it's so icy that everyone is driving under 50 mph. A rear locker tends to push the truck straight ahead in slippery situations making it tough to take tight corners, while a front locker pulls it in the direction the front wheels are pointed. I find I can walk the truck thru bad spots where I would have had to rat on it before. I would have installed a rear locker first but was set on an aussie after reading the writeups. Aussie lockers are everything they claim to be imo.

mooner 02-25-2009 12:30 PM

I was also at this cross road and made my decision and have never looked back!
Front first!
Yes I agree that it will put more stress in certain situations but also relieve the over spinning issues(regards TC) but the advantages are there. If you have manual hubs you can disconnect the whole front form spinning and relieve all stress untill you are on loose ground and need your 4x4, also you can lock just one or the other if need be. I dont know if it makes sense to anyone else, but to me having somthing pulling you through(front tires) rather than pushing(rear tires) would work better. My 2 cents.
I just know my set up works well, aussie locker up front and factory lsd in rear.

littlecommando 02-25-2009 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mooner (Post 51070989)
I was also at this cross road and made my decision and have never looked back!
Front first!
Yes I agree that it will put more stress in certain situations but also relieve the over spinning issues(regards TC) but the advantages are there. If you have manual hubs you can disconnect the whole front form spinning and relieve all stress untill you are on loose ground and need your 4x4, also you can lock just one or the other if need be. I dont know if it makes sense to anyone else, but to me having somthing pulling you through(front tires) rather than pushing(rear tires) would work better. My 2 cents.
I just know my set up works well, aussie locker up front and factory lsd in rear.

it might just be me, but only locking one hub doesnt seem like a good idea
:think:

im not experenced though, maybe one of the elder yotatechers will chime in here

toyNG 02-25-2009 01:36 PM

Randy1 and Mooner: How does the front aussie affect the steering? How is it during slow speed rock crawling? How about on moderate speed fire roads?

The Aussie website describes the steering changes as a slight tightening and self centering effect. But I've heard other people describe it as a complete bind in which the tires are almost not movable.

littlecommando 02-25-2009 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by toyNG (Post 51071037)
Randy1 and Mooner: How does the front aussie affect the steering? How is it during slow speed rock crawling? How about on moderate speed fire roads?

The Aussie website describes the steering changes as a slight tightening and self centering effect. But I've heard other people describe it as a complete bind in which the tires are almost not movable.

it just makes both wheels turn at the same speed, so it will be harder to turn.

tc 02-25-2009 02:09 PM

Locking one hub won't hurt anything, but makes the truck pull like CRAZY to the other side!

toyNG 02-25-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by littlecommando (Post 51071045)
it just makes both wheels turn at the same speed, so it will be harder to turn.

:chairfall I guess my question "How does the front aussie affect steering" was misleading. I wasn't trying to get an explanation for the mechanism of the steering effect. Instead, I was wondering how the steering behaves with the front locker. I'll reword the question as "How have the steering characteristics changed after installing the front locker?"

Randy1 02-25-2009 03:54 PM

In mud, snow, sand I don't notice it's there as far as steering goes. On fire roads I don't usually notice it either (but on those I usually shift from 2H to 4H and leave the hubs locked) . On acceleration it has a self centering effect but on deceleration the steering will pull to one side just after letting off the throttle. At slow speed on rocks/gravel it pulls as one tire often has good traction while the other doesn't. IMO the extra effort is just a small inconvenience. I might get an OME steering stabilizer and see if that helps, but I don't really need one. Of course there is no difference in 2 wheel drive (in fact I leave my hubs locked all winter with the tc in 2H).

slisdexia 02-25-2009 06:15 PM

sorry to threadjack, but I'm assuming that the issues with lockers in front don't occur on solid axles? true?

tc 02-25-2009 06:18 PM

Everything said above about IFS is true for stock SFA too ... if you have 30 spline Longfields and hydro-assist, the effects are minimized, but the basics are still the same.

slisdexia 02-25-2009 06:45 PM

dang! end threadjacking

mooner 02-25-2009 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by toyNG (Post 51071037)

I have found myself, it reacts pretty much the same as the discription stated by the aussie web site, but a little harsher, strong centering effect and tightening compared to OEM. As stated It does tend to pull,and the sound it makes when ratcheting...... I thought I blew up my diff the first time I heard it! kinda freaked me out the first couple of times I used it. I dont use the 4x4 on road and I have warn locking hubs open unless off roading, why put all that extra wear on the cv's & boots when you dont need to. works great going slow or down the fire roads.
Now that I know how & when to use it properly I wouldnt be without it. For the price, on this set-up I think It can't be beat!:bigok:

toyNG 02-26-2009 01:41 PM

Randy and Mooner:

Would using 4x4 on fire roads at speeds of around 15-20mph result in increase difficulty steering (just requiring more elbow grease), or would it severely impair steering to the point of making it dangerous to use 4x4?

Btw, welcome to yotatech!