YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   No cat questions? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/no-cat-questions-144247/)

94toy4x4fever 05-02-2008 09:15 PM

No cat questions?

I have a 94 toyota pickup with a 22re Im running a pacesetter header and a flowmaster 40 series muffler with no cat. Truck sound great. I put a new engine in it about 1200 miles ago. Took it to get the emissions checked and it dident pass. Could no cat be the reason for this or is it some other part of the emissions? Also truck is running rich and pings

DeathCougar 05-02-2008 09:59 PM

You took the cat out, then expected it to pass emissions?

Do you even have an o2 sensor anymore? Or did you yank that out too :roll:

FredTJ 05-03-2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 94toy4x4fever (Post 50820723)
I have a 94 toyota pickup with a 22re Im running a pacesetter header and a flowmaster 40 series muffler with no cat. Truck sound great. I put a new engine in it about 1200 miles ago. Took it to get the emissions checked and it dident pass. Could no cat be the reason for this or is it some other part of the emissions? Also truck is running rich and pings

Mmmmm, no cat, running rich and "pings" and you're wondering why it won't pass emissions ..........

Fred

94toy4x4fever 05-03-2008 01:31 PM

yeah I took the o2 sensors out. Right... how stupid could you be? I dident do the exhaust. I know when I bought the truck that there should be a cat. So what should I do I dont want to lose the sound of the truck!

FredTJ 05-03-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 94toy4x4fever (Post 50821040)
yeah I took the o2 sensors out. Right... how stupid could you be? I dident do the exhaust. I know when I bought the truck that there should be a cat. So what should I do I dont want to lose the sound of the truck!

Ah, record the sound, fix the truck, ride with iPod in ears with recorded sound. :think:

Really, how "cool" can a 4banger with no cat sound ?
The cat's not going to change the sound that much anyway.

You could always take the truck back to whomever sold it to you and have 'em fix it. They have to as it's illegal (Federal) to sell a vehicle with any of the factory emission equipment removed or not working.

:)
Fred

unclejstoy 05-04-2008 07:58 AM

:saw:

Noltz 05-04-2008 08:40 PM

Go have a universal cat welded in. They're ~$200 installed. If the 02's are out of it, you'll need to reinstall those. You might lose a bit of the sound, but there's no honest reason to run without one on a street vehicle.

Trustyrusty 05-05-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ (Post 50821059)
Ah, record the sound, fix the truck, ride with iPod in ears with recorded sound. :think:

Really, how "cool" can a 4banger with no cat sound ?
The cat's not going to change the sound that much anyway.

You could always take the truck back to whomever sold it to you and have 'em fix it. They have to as it's illegal (Federal) to sell a vehicle with any of the factory emission equipment removed or not working.

:)
Fred

Um actually, A cat WILL change the sound of ANY vehicle IMMENSELY... I took mine off and it made my exhaust much louder and raspier.. Not to mention crisper instead of sounding like a wet fart. I didn't gain any horsepower though, and I think I might have lost 1-2 mpg, really If I had the cash I'd just get a high flow one, but I don't really care.

Booosted Supra 05-05-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty (Post 50822504)
Um actually, A cat WILL change the sound of ANY vehicle IMMENSELY... I took mine off and it made my exhaust much louder and raspier.. Not to mention crisper instead of sounding like a wet fart. I didn't gain any horsepower though, and I think I might have lost 1-2 mpg, really If I had the cash I'd just get a high flow one, but I don't really care.

agreed, my truck is louder and raspier with out one, but like you i dont care enough to spend the money for a high flow one or taking the time to put it in, im a 3v powered truck though