Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie needs advice/specific info on t-cases for 1uz vvti swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs advice/specific info on t-cases for 1uz vvti swap

Hi, guys. I'm new to Toyota trucks (and 4x4s in general) and I need some advice. I wasn't sure if this belongs in here or in the Engine Swap section, but it seems like the information I'm after is pretty basic, although apparently hard to find. I've been scrounging around this and other forums, FAQs, read the Marlin T-Case Bible, but I couldn't find the information I'm after, so I'll ask for your help.

Question 1: On the T100 auto chain drive t-case (A340f), the trans output shaft fits into a female spline on the t-case. Is that coupler sleeve removable? It looks like a separate piece but it won't come off easily. Is it pressed on?
**EDIT - This sleeve IS pressed on and was easy to remove with a standard bearing puller.**
This sleeve:

Question 2: Does a gear drive t-case need a face seal between the trans and adapter housing? Does it need a shaft seal? If I make up an adapter plate to bolt up the new trans, do I need to worry about the t-case leaking all its fluid out the front? The EPC diagram shows a face seal, but I'm guessing it is for the trans and not the t-case?

Question 3: What is the diameter of the G58 26 spline t-case input shaft? The A650e uses a 26 spline output shaft that is 1.34in/34mm OD. Is it possible that they use the same spline? Is there a top-shift version of this t-case?

Question 4: Do either the RF1A or G58 t-case use a compatible driveshaft flange to the T100, or can I just swap the flanges to the new t-case?

Question 5: Do you know of any other (Atlas, Jeep, etc) t-cases using a 30mm/26 spline input? Google couldn't find any...

Question 6: Does the t-case to transmission coupler need to be fixed axially? If the coupler can "float" will it cause any major issues? Does it need to be pressed/pinned/bolted/welded onto one of the shafts to avoid movement?

A little background information, but this is otherwise irrelevant to my questions, so to save time I put it at the end.
I recently picked up my first Toyota truck - a 94 T100 3VZ auto 4x4. Long story short - the head gasket blew, it's been done once before on the Toyota recall, and I have decided to just replace the motor. I've been toying with the idea of a 1uz since I bought the truck.

Fast forward a little and I got a really good deal on a 1uz vvti engine/trans/etc that I couldn't pass up. I know from some research that it would have been a lot easier to just go with a non-vvti motor, but here I am... Now I need to figure out a way to connect this trans (A650e 5 speed auto) to a t-case. I've got access to a machine shop, and I plan to make the adapter parts, but I need some basic information to decide which way to go.

The most obvious answer seems to me to take the output shaft out of the A340f, cut it down, and weld it to the A650e driveshaft yoke to couple the two together. Problem is, by my measurements, this will push the t-case back by about 5 inches, and I don't really want the shifter there. It also ruins an otherwise good transmission that I could sell.

The next idea I have is to take the coupler sleeve (from Q1) off the stock t-case and weld it to the 1uz driveshaft yoke. This would bring the t-case forward, but since it is top-shift, I'll have to figure out a way to modify the adapter housing or hold the shifter.

That's why I'm also considering other options for transfer cases.

Thanks for reading through all of this and thanks a lot for your help,
Chris

Last edited by gzus13; 03-20-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 01-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This may be better answered in the engine swap section. There is a Toy/Lexus V8 section, I believe.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks. I wasn't sure where this really belonged. Is it considered poor etiquette to just copy this post in the other section? Or should I get a mod to move it? I think I'll leave it here for another day or so to see if I get anything else.

Maybe I would get a better response if I broke up the questions and asked them in their respective forums; T100, early pickup, and the rest in the fab/engine swap section.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:31 AM

I have some idea

Callme 408 3934454 I will explain you how you can done it and check 1uzfe in to 1st gen 4runner or 1uzfe into pick up
Attached Files