YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   newbee to YT need help with 85 22re (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/newbee-yt-need-help-85-22re-208134/)

tskinnyp 03-27-2010 05:10 PM

newbee to YT need help with 85 22re

i have a 85 4runner efi a/t. its nice my dream truck since i was 8. nehow i just switched out the motor in my truck and now haveing problems getting it started. it'll fire but stop as soon as i let off the key. im not sure what i did wrong. but i need to get it running springs here i like the mud. plus i need it at work. can ne one help i think its wiring or vacume line would neone with 85 22re help pictures if the wiring harness under the efi placement of such and pictures of vacume lines would be helpful but opinions or ideas do help. yes the head was removed so timing might be an issue but im sure i did so correctly.
im glad to see so many yota fans

yotaman85 03-27-2010 05:18 PM

welcome.. make sure the power is getting to the ecu from the "on" position on the ignition..

Western Canuk 03-27-2010 11:26 PM

Go to the 86-95 Trucks and 4runners forum and search 'build' or 'rebuild' if you haven't already. There's some threads of people here that have rebuilt the 22RE engine with tonnes of pictures.

welcome to the board!

MuddfreaksOffroad 03-27-2010 11:36 PM

check all your basics, spark, fuel and air. if its turning over and not starting then it could be your not getting fuel or spark. I dont think its wiring, unless you wired it wrong. check the timing if possible. other then that search around.

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 06:54 AM

well i have a friend who works on nothing but yotas i went over n found a cross i did in the vac lines. after goin over it i fount that the power wire on my alternater was arcing. im goin to get that tested today. thats all i found that could be wrong. i got it to fire but it shuts down as soon as i let off the key

MuddfreaksOffroad 03-30-2010 08:47 AM

still? id get a new ignition switch, they arent terribly expensive but if u get a new one it will rule out the switch being bad.

91_TOYOTA_4x4 03-30-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MuddfreaksOffroad (Post 51406450)
still? id get a new ignition switch, they arent terribly expensive but if u get a new one it will rule out the switch being bad.

or you could replace the engine and rule that out lmao i couldnt resist haha

anyways welcome to YT dude :D im not really sure were to help you at but i would do what they have said, check fuel, spark, exc.... is your fuel pump working? do you have good spark? timming? check the basics o and i bet you have already checked but meh whatever i guess see if you have blow fuses? thats all i can think of or tell you. good luck

MuddfreaksOffroad 03-30-2010 10:52 AM

lol ya that could work too a bit more work then what i was thinkin but??? lol a ignition switch isnt hard to do lol unless ur not mechanically inclined but ya id check fuses and fuel pump do a fuel pressure test. that might help u with the fuel pump thing.

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 11:16 AM

i did swap the motor ha. thats what started this all. its not the ignition it fires and it was workin before the swap

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 11:18 AM

everything was working even the motor before the sway i just wanted to put in a motor that didnt have 430893 miles on it. i should of listened to my father if it an't broke dont fix it

MuddfreaksOffroad 03-30-2010 11:23 AM

wait u really did a motor swap? hahah thats funny

jammer1313 03-30-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85 (Post 51403946)
welcome.. make sure the power is getting to the ecu from the "on" position on the ignition..

i agree since it does start, sounds like you lose elect power when not in the start position...

and after all the above don't work, lift the radiator cap and push another yota under it...lmao...ya'll crack me up...makes my day...

:lol:

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 04:46 PM

not so funny whenits my daily driver. i swaped motors cause my paw needed a head hes dieing of canser and his insurance shut down with out notice so hes selling his 92 pickup to pay for the kemo. and so when he dies nana would have alittle money

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 04:47 PM

im a small town country boy with limited tools and know how. and no one to help me on this

91_TOYOTA_4x4 03-30-2010 05:25 PM

well i think we have given u some good places to check but without me actually there and no videos of what is happening when u try and start it, i cant do too much. sorry about your grandpa dude thats sucks more than i can imagine. i would come by and help if i lived near you

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 08:24 PM

thankx. but that is a good idea ima get a video on here if i can

4Crawler 03-30-2010 08:57 PM

Might try the fuel pump test jumper:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump

If that helps, check the Air Flow Meter:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml

tskinnyp 03-30-2010 09:13 PM

thankx and by the way i bought that 3" body lift from you looks great still need send back the shifter bracket and sterring and bumper to get the a/t 4wd bracket. ill get it to you asap. jus been tryin to get my truck running. by the way best kit ever bought and great service. i will be ordering more from you. well as soon as i get my truck workin. im goin to post video on here if possible to get everyone a hint as to whats goin on. thankx everyone for your help i wish there was a club or group over here for yota owners

85TurboRunner 03-30-2010 09:50 PM

I just read through your thread and was thinking AFM or fuel pump but 4Crawler beat me to it. So yeah check those things out.

91_TOYOTA_4x4 03-30-2010 10:30 PM

sounds good dude, get that video up and we will go from there :P