YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   New Yota owner with questions (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/new-yota-owner-questions-290982/)

scheuvront1993 09-16-2015 07:09 PM

New Yota owner with questions

Hello all, thanks for reading my thread, I have a few questions. First of all I've been the owner of a '94 4Runner 3.0 5spd for almost 2 weeks now.. and my life has been a living hell ever since. Overall the vehicle is in fair shape. The engine runs very well for having 220,000 miles on it, aside from needing valve cover gaskets. However since I've owned the vehicle I've changed the alternator, MAF, and just tonight the slave cylinder. I'm not really sure if the slave was my issue? I was having a very difficult time shifting. I would grind in almost every gear, every time! Also If I was in first or reverse, with the clutch on the floor the vehicle would take off, as if I were disengaging the clutch pedal.. but the clutch is still on the floor. So I thought it was the slave cylinder but I just lost 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse out of nowhere. The clutch was just recently replaced before I bought it so I don't think it was that, I thought perhaps the slave? So I put one on, but it will NOT bleed for anything, after trying to bleed it for about 30 mins with no success I just gave up for the night. I was getting little squirts of fluid but not much and the master cylinder didn't seem to lose a drop. I have absolutely no clutch pedal at all. It goes down to the floor with no resistance and will not return itself. So, any help at all would be great. I really need to get it back up and running. Thanks everyone

wyoming9 09-16-2015 11:52 PM

:coffee: Most times the Master and Slave should be changed together why they were not changed with the new clutch who can say.

Also I god idea to change the rubber hose as well

Just how are you trying to bleed it ??

Poor connection will allow it to draw air and not leak.

Dirt in the threads bad bleed valve .

Just what brand slave cylinder did you get some of the Chinese made products can be quite poor quality.

Buying a used vehicle is most often like this things tend to get neglected.

tj884Rdlx 09-17-2015 06:47 AM

Id recommend aisin or oem brand clutch master and slave replaced together and bleed over and over - and over again.

I tried cheaper parts and wound up regretting it and replacing within a day.

Sounds like you got a truck someone drove to death then passed on. Keep in mind that today's Chinese cheap parts are very hit or miss. Some you are better off rebuilding the oem, or buying Toyota parts from a discount dealer online, or at least confirming you buy OE manufacturers like Aisin and Denso.

Do yourself a favor, compression and block test it before you start dumping money in. If the truck was previously neglected, a clearer picture of the engines health is worth investigating. Good luck! Enjoy that new rig!!

wyoming9 09-17-2015 11:14 AM

:coffee: I don`t know I never seem to have trouble bleeding things pretty often once and done .

Terrys87 09-17-2015 11:25 AM

You can adjust the push rod on the back of the Master Cylinder to get a little more travel on the push rod if needed. What brand of parts did you use? Aisin is about the only way to go. I have had a tough time with aftermarket parts in the past.

On a 22re motor there is a spring attached to the clutch and brake pedal to help them return. I am sure yours should be set up the same way. It could be missing. Some of your issues could be the work the previous owner did. There are some hack jobs out there.

I had nearly the same problem with part store replacement parts and would be willing to bet you got some bad parts. Change your Master and Slave Cylinder out in pairs. When I do a clutch job, I automatically change the slave cylinder anymore.

scheuvront1993 09-17-2015 12:17 PM

Thanks for the input all, the slave is a "perfection clutch" brand, and I'm going to put a master on it in a little bit, it is also "perfection clutch" I am however beginning to lean towards the clutch. I was told it had a newer clutch.. but people lie. I don't think I would only lose a few gears if it was just my slave.. so I'm pretty sure my clutch has taken a crap!

wyoming9 09-17-2015 01:36 PM

With your new master cylinder installed .

It should build pressure when you pump the clutch before you open the valve.

Just how were you trying to bleed it??

Odin 09-17-2015 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by scheuvront1993 (Post 52289283)
I thought perhaps the slave? So I put one on, but it will NOT bleed for anything, after trying to bleed it for about 30 mins with no success I just gave up for the night. I was getting little squirts of fluid but not much and the master cylinder didn't seem to lose a drop.

You may have asked and answered your own question.

If you're truck has 220,000 miles it needs to have the clutch hose replaced too.

I know it's hard to spend money twice replacing a part that should work because it's new. The advice that was given above about purchasing the Aisin brand clutch master and slave cylinder is correct. There is an extremely high percentage of out of the box aftermarket clutch master and slave cylinder failures for these trucks. It is well documented by repeated clutch failure threads over and over and over again on this site!

Take that slave cylinder back if you still can and purchase Aisin parts. Aisin parts are what these trucks rolled out of the factory with. Don't expect them to be expensive either. If you purchase the parts from a dealership they will be- simple, DON'T DO THAT!

You can find the part numbers that you need by looking here http://www.aisinaftermarket.com/
Use the part number to compare prices over at rockauto.com and amazon.com. Yes Amazon sells these parts and more but know your part numbers before shopping. It's hard to beat two day shipping if you have a prime account or know someone that does. The last time I had someone order something for me through their prime account it was delivered by the post office on a Sunday.

If there's absolutely no way you can wait and must have the parts RIGHT NOW!!! then try NAPA and then CarQuest, stay away from the others.

Since you're new here I'll add that if you start having brake master cylinder problems you should purchase Aisin there too.

Terrys87 09-17-2015 06:17 PM

Just last week I had to replace a clutch slave cylinder https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52286765 I had to have my truck for work and had to get a part store replacement. It failed as the threads on the replacement would not seal on the trucks supply line. I was able to take the piston out of the part store and stick in the Aisin housing and it is a temporary fix until I get my Aisin replacement in.

You being new to the site and unaware of replacement parts. Go with OEM parts. They can be bought for about the same price as part store. I get my spark plugs, cap, rotor, oil filters, and rotor bug from the dealer. My Denso plug wires I get from ebay. Amazon, Parts Geek, Rock Auto and other online stores have OEM parts for about part store prices or cheaper but better quality.

Even your Aisin clutch slave cylinder should be replaced when doing the clutch as brake fluid is harsh on the seals. When you pull the transmission, the piston in the slave cylinder is going to move further then its normal movement and tends to fail after that.

Most of learned the hard way like you currently are now, but in the long run you will come out further ahead. Bosch and Moog may be good for domestic brands but never on a Toyota.