Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need help - 3vze 3.0 V6 in 95 4Runner

Old 05-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help. Smashed spark plug

I am having a couple of issues on my 4runner. I can’t find a thread that talks about it and it won’t let me start one so I’ll tey here. First, my truck had this misfire so I towed it to our shop and I found a smashed spark plug in cylinder 1. Cylinder 1 also had no compression while all the others had 150psi. Before the misfire it made a ticking sound. (I have a 3vze 3.0 V6). Second problem is I converted my truck to manual. Originally auto. I swapped in an R150F transmission and got every thing working on except my automatic locking hubs and my speedo. My hubs just need to be a temporary fix because I’m planning on doing a solid axle swap next summer. However the speedo needs to be permanent. I believe the automatic had some kind of mechanical one and the manual has an electrical connection. The donor truck was a 91 4tunner and my truck is a 95

Last edited by Schwifty; 05-08-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK; Smashed spark plug is bad, really bad, as in tear down bad. Second issue is probably you forgot the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. (very easy to do) Speedo is easy just get one for a '95 with a stick, they were made so it should not be hard to find one.

Depending on your skills and budget an engine swap maybe in order. If you are really really lucky you broke the rod down low and the piston hit the plug on the exhaust stroke as it over sped, and the piece attached to the crank is too short to hit the block.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM

So I talked to my buddy (Toyota master mechanic) and he said it’s likely not a rod. He wasn’t sure what else it could be but he was almost positive it wasn’t a rod going out. What else could it be? I’m very handy and can rebuild an engine. I’ll be taking off the heads next week after I’m done with school. Is it possible that the valve just got stuck down? I just want an idea what to expect. I’m a college student with not a lot of money and this thing is my daily drive and I’ve put to much into it to sell
Old 05-07-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by skypilot
OK; Smashed spark plug is bad, really bad, as in tear down bad. Second issue is probably you forgot the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. (very easy to do) Speedo is easy just get one for a '95 with a stick, they were made so it should not be hard to find one.

Depending on your skills and budget an engine swap maybe in order. If you are really really lucky you broke the rod down low and the piston hit the plug on the exhaust stroke as it over sped, and the piece attached to the crank is too short to hit the block.
I am never that lucky.

Edit: Do you have a hole in your block or a serious sudden oil leak?

Last edited by thefishguy77; 05-07-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I am never that lucky.

Edit: Do you have a hole in your block or a serious sudden oil leak?
no sudden oil leaks. So I have zero compression on cylinder one but the other two on the same side have good compression at 150psi. I got a borescope today from harbor freight and it doesn’t look like there’s a single impact point from the plug on the piston head. There’s a bunch of little spots all over the piston head. Cylinder 5 on the same side also has the same marks. Piston 3 looked normal. I’ll post pictures of the pistons on separate posts in just a second.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:29 PM

This is the smashed plug. It’s only got one tiny hit. If it were the piston hitting it then the smash mark would be on the very top of it and not off to the side. Because the piston is coming straight at it and not at an angle like that
There’s no point of impact on the piston head where the spark plug would have impacted had the piston struck it. That large pea sized dimple is supposed to be there. These pictures are upside down due to the borescope orientation. Spark plug impact would have been in the middle of the piston head towards the bottom end.

Last edited by Schwifty; 05-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well; you are missing a piece of the piston. And the piston did hit the plug, though not as hard as I thought. Nice bore scope, looks very much like a really bad pre-ignition issue.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
Well; you are missing a piece of the piston. And the piston did hit the plug, though not as hard as I thought. Nice bore scope, looks very much like a really bad pre-ignition issue.
haha with regards to the bore scope it was the cheapest one at harbor freight. And yeah I’m just going to give up on this engine. A buddy offered me his good long block for $100 so I’m just going to do a light rebuild on that one.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m suspecting:
1-a burnt valve,
2-missing part of piston/valve, stuck between valve and head, same chip got between plug and piston first then stuck between valve and head ?
Can you see the valves with your scope?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Budman1
I’m suspecting:
1-a burnt valve,
2-missing part of piston/valve, stuck between valve and head, same chip got between plug and piston first then stuck between valve and head ?
Can you see the valves with your scope?
no unfortunately not.theres no way to see the valves without removing the heads. After I get the old engine out I’m going to dismantle it to see if it’s worth fixing as a back up or to sell. I’ll let you know what I ind so if someone else runs into the same problem they will know what to expect