Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

My 1988 Pickup / 1988 FSM discrepancies.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 1988 Pickup / 1988 FSM discrepancies.

Happy new year all! I'm in the process of labeling my engine in prep for removal. Never done this before so I'm learning as I go.

I've noticed two discrepancies btw my 1988 Pickup 22re and the 1988 Pickup FSM I have. Feeling like it's important I understand these discrepancies in case someone swapped the engine at some point. Mainly, I don't want to be working out of the wrong year FSM and setting myself up for issues when I reinstall, etc.

Discrepancies:

#1 Oxygen sensor is located in exhaust manifold on my truck. The FSM says that oxygen sensor position is for Turbo models. Also, I discovered my oxygen sensor is not attached to any harness. I suppose it's possible someone swapped the manifold at some point and stuck a dummy sensor in there?

#2 On my truck the VSV hose routing doesn't seem to match what I see in the FSM. Also, I'm not sure this is relevant, but the A/C was removed from the truck when I bought it.

In the drawing below, looks like one hose from the VSV should go clear to the other side of the intake.

And for general reference, here's a photo of my engine. Seem like an '88?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you didn`t own this from brand new no telling what might have been done during the life of the truck.

Just take it one step at a time.

Do you have a nest of Possums under the seat?? That is never a good sign.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
older 22re's have the exhaust sensor in that position on the manifold... it definitely needs to be connected.

are there any other o2 sensors, say, down by the catalytic converter?

the red arrow pointing to the item screwed into the intake manifold... I believe that it's there to speed up the idle when the ac is on, and/or to speed up the engine when the power steering is being used at engine idle speeds... unless you are going in for a smog check, you can remove it and plug everything, it shouldn't have an effect on how the motor itself runs... I can't use it, because I have trail gear power assist steering and no a/c.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 AM

I have a O2 port there, too, with dummy sensor stuck in it. I believe the manifold was swapped while my dad owned it. Never had a plug under hood that didn't have a home, and the wire on the sensor is clipped off. I'm an 89 federal emissions 22RE. Just one O2 sensor, upstream of cat.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
that makes sense, because the o2 sensor by the cat is so far from the engine that it has to be heated(2-wires, I think)... the sensor by the head should be unheated(single wire)... I wouldn't imagine that the factory ever used both on any vehicle, it's one or the other.

federal smog could be different from ca smog, at least it can be on other makes and models, so what is factory for a ca smog '89? i'm guessing that it'll match your federal smog engine, so that manifold sensor may not be the right year for '89... gotta look it up in the proper fsm, and I don't have an '89 fsm.

good call!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
My 88 with Federal emissions had the O2 sensor by the cat. Nothing on the manifold.

The A/C idle up lines looked like yours in the pic. Did not look like your diagram.

I sold the 22RE and stuck in a 3.4 or I would go take pics for you.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
88 and newer has the O2 by the cat converter and the 87 and older have them in the exhaust manifold.

Looking at your engine, it seems like you are missing a VSV switch or two. I have an 88 and can look at it when I get home.

After looking at your pictures,(picture with red arrows) I think I can see one of your injectors. 88 have a red top injector. Yours appear white if I am looking at it right. If the top of the injector is white, those are on the 85-87 models and would explain why you are missing a VSV on the valve cover. The white injectors also have a wire clip that holds the connector on to the injector. If there is a wire clip and white top injector, I say you have an 87. What does the door tag say for production date? I think September (maybe August) was when they switched years. I could be wrong.

Edited to add more info....

87 has the same white square plug with the wire clip that is the same design as your Cold Start Injector, AFM, TPS... but its TE/E1 test port is on the passenger side fuse box. The 85/86 use a round test port on the drivers side. I can post pics later if you need me to when I get to my home computer.

By identifying your injectors, O2 sensor and harness (test port), you should be able to identify your year.

If you have squeeze tabs that release the injector harness from the injector, then it is 88 or newer.

88 is a one year only injector. The 89 and newer 22re is red also but have a different fool proof tab so as you cant put in the wrong injector.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-05-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Terrys87 is right about the 88 being unique as far as injectors and I think ECM and the injector resister ? I think it's called.

I found another 88 for parts and when I sent my injectors in for service found out SOME early 88's were the same as 87's and earlier. I had two different sets of 88 components. My 88 was built in NOV. I don't know where the cutoff is.

I sold my engine complete with harness, exhaust, everything, including my spare parts to a guy with an 85 or 86. He said the spare harness and ECM and other stuff were the same as his.

Last edited by aztoyman; 01-05-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 88 injectors have a different resistance ( actually all 3 have a different resistance). The injector resistor has the same resistance on all three setups if I recall right. I'm guessing the computer is designed for the difference as I have yet to find any other differences in the wiring itself.

Here are the 3 types of injectors. The white one is 85- 87, the 88 looks just like the 89 and up but the fool proof tabs are different. I dont remember which one is which but 85-87 is 1.5-3.0 Ohms, 88 is 1.0-2.5 Ohms, and the 89 and newer are 13.4-14.2 Ohms. Do a resistance check to see which ones you have. Notice the tabs, one set is sitting above the electrical connections on the injector and the tabs are below the connections on the other one.( red injectors).

Name:  injector4_zps7d5196d1.png
Views: 335
Size:  909.3 KB

The 85/86 have the round test port. The 87 will have the square test port.
Applies to 87 and up.
Name:  T1E1.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  71.1 KB

The Diagnostic port for the 85-86 is on the Drivers side inner fender and is nothing the same as the 87 and up. Here is T1 and E1 jumped. The codes and engine flashes are the same as the rest of the trucks on the dash.
Name:  86diag.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  70.7 KB

Codes...http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/...es/index.shtml
Old 01-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Wow, everyone - thanks so much for the replies (and sorry for the delay)!

I thought this post had only received 1 response. Guess I misunderstood how the email notifications work. My bad entirely!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Three different emission packages on these trucks...

Cali
Federal
Canadian

So you must know what you have and then look at the right diagram. However, some things still might be different.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM

re: Terrys87 and injector styles. Here's a photo of mine. Looks like I don't have the 88 style, but rather the 85-87 variety.

I'm going to look into the diagnostic port, thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I cant see your fuse box on the passenger side to see if there is the square test port on the fuse box. From what I can see you have an 87. 88s O2 senosr is near the catalytic converter.

Your thermostat housing has a sensor in it which I thought was just 85 and 86 but I could be wrong. Is it hooked up? I see a green wire coming from it but cant see if it connected. Somone could of replaced it from a 85/86 parts truck.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-30-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 AM

Hey Terrys87,

Ya, the sensor in the thermostat housing was hooked up when I removed the engine. That wire though, seemed to have been spliced/repaired at some point...

Here are some photos of the fuse box. I'm not seeing the square test port there (correct?) ...

And here's the driver's side...

I'm thinking you're right about it not being an '88 engine, but let me know what you think w/ these latest photos. To summarize the things that point to this being an entire engine swap:

- Injector style is 85-87
- An 02 sensor (disconnected) in the exhaust manifold
- An 02 sensor in front of the cat (appears to be hooked up)
- Test port
- Sensor in Thermostat housing
- Other emissions discrepancies w/ the '88 FSM (#2 above)

Last edited by Jason H; 02-01-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The square test port on the passenger fender is not showing and is easily seen. I am assuming you have the 85/86 harness. The O2 sensor for these years of harnesses should attach around the brake booster area. The O2 sensor is a single wire connector on it.

I don't see the clear/yellowish round test port that is in Post#9. Is it there and I just am not seeing it? The bodys are all the same, it is just the wiring that really determines which actual year it is in this generation of trucks. The newer they are the more emissions was added. I wonder if this may have been a carbed truck and someone converted it to EFi or just replaced the harness for some reason as it was damaged.

One way to see if it was a carbed truck is below the wiper motor in the corner of the firewall and fender, is where the injector harness comes out. Does it look like it was done at the factory or is maybe not quite a perfect circle cut. A carbed truck does not have a hole in the fire wall and it has to be cut out for the injector harness. That can be a tell tale sign if it was carbed as it is difficult to get it to look factory smooth.

The O2 sensor in front of the cat is 88 and up so that does have me confused a little as well. The sensor goes thru the floorboard for an 88 so I would double check to see it is actually hooked up.

All in all, it looks like it was a descent job done to convert it. Being a June of 88 truck makes a late year 88. I think it is August or September that they change to the next year. It doesn't have all of the VSVs that the 88s have. I have an 88 as well and I think it has 3 VSVs on it.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason H
Happy new year all! I'm in the process of labeling my engine in prep for removal. Never done this before so I'm learning as I go.

I've noticed two discrepancies btw my 1988 Pickup 22re and the 1988 Pickup FSM I have. Feeling like it's important I understand these discrepancies in case someone swapped the engine at some point. Mainly, I don't want to be working out of the wrong year FSM and setting myself up for issues when I reinstall, etc.

Discrepancies:

#1 Oxygen sensor is located in exhaust manifold on my truck. The FSM says that oxygen sensor position is for Turbo models. Also, I discovered my oxygen sensor is not attached to any harness. I suppose it's possible someone swapped the manifold at some point and stuck a dummy sensor in there?

#2 On my truck the VSV hose routing doesn't seem to match what I see in the FSM. Also, I'm not sure this is relevant, but the A/C was removed from the truck when I bought it.

In the drawing below, looks like one hose from the VSV should go clear to the other side of the intake.

And for general reference, here's a photo of my engine. Seem like an '88?

If it's 4x4 the o2 sensor is in the pipe under the drive seat