Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

im looking for tire advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like i said TWO times already...i wasn't meaning to be a jerk, sacastic, or anything like that and its pretty clear that others agree. If you knew me, i'd say the same thing in person and you wouldn't have thought anything about it. Some people just take things way to far out of context. Sorry for your misunderstanding.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Banned

if you're going to have that attitue, get used to being told to search. tire selection does not vary year to year. hell, it hardly varies from one generation to the next. the more you learn and understand on your own, the better off you'll be down the road.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hytech_redneck
well obviously this thread has caused alot of arguements. i should have researched and found this somewhere else. but u know there are better ways to tell the newer guys to post in the right spot. i figured being that my truck is a 94 i may catch the attention of other 94 owners. anyways if u go back and rea the first reply to this thread u can see how this guy was being very sarcastic and replying with a rediculous attitude. thanks to everyone who gave advice. im looking towards bfg for sure now probably the mud terrains. anyways there are just a few guys i would prefer not to meet on the trail. why people have to be jerks is beyond me.
dude, stop being so gosh darn sensitive. seriously, does this one thread you started sour your opinion of the forum and some members that much? if so, move on.

people get told to search all the time...99% of the time because a new member like yourself asked a very generic question about a topic that has been covered so much that its pointless to rehash it again---even just "one more time"---that's what rocket was pointing out to you.

if you really feel that you want to find your info somewhere else, please feel free to do so. but i guarantee you that if you ask "what tires should I buy?" on any other forum, you'll get the same response and/or get your head handed to you. also, if you feel that because of this thread, there are certain people that you dont want to meet on the trails, that's your perogative too.

otherwise, i hope you take the time to understand how this place works because there are a lot of people, including me, who are more than willing to go the extra mile to help you if you take the minimum effort to help yourself.

thanks,
bob
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so what tires should I buy?????
Old 04-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

on a serious note, I've been looking everywhere for a 33x10.50R15 Mud terrain tire, and the only ones are BFG A/T and M/T. I know I'm not due for tires for a long time, but I'm thinkin for the future.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, very seriously limited selection in 33x10.50-15

Choices are:
Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT (run by Keggo and myself)
BFG A/T and M/T (run by all kins of people)
Super Swamper
LTB (34x10.50)
Trxus M/T (255-85R16)
TSL Bogger
TSL Radial
TSL Thornbird
Old 04-03-2006, 08:11 PM

Obviously you haven't been around for the last 2 years to see that my so-called "ass" response is used in similar ways by other members for people that don't use common sense.
Actually I have been around off and on for 3.5 years.

And what I did see was you responding with advice to a tire question, without telling him to search. Air pressure is also a common question.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/33x10-5s-15x8-79316/

Sometimes people, espically new people want to post to talk about their specific truck. Anyone can do a search, but there is no personalization about it. Dont need to down a newbie right off the bat. If he want to ask a question let him, if people are tired of the post ignore it, it doesnt bother you if it takes up a line on the page does it? Not every post will deal with you and your truck or experiance, let some of them go.

Yes it is possible to take words in posts wrong since there is no inflection with reading so I think we all just took your sarcasim the wrong way, no harm no foul.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 PM

on a serious note, I've been looking everywhere for a 33x10.50R15 Mud terrain tire, and the only ones are BFG A/T and M/T. I know I'm not due for tires for a long time, but I'm thinkin for the future.

I beleive I read in another post that Dunlop is making one now. There is also a TSL Thornbird ( ), and TSL radial 33x10.50, and one of my favorites, a bit smaller, 32x10.50 TSL Radial.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Seems like the BFG M/T would be the best choice for street and off road. I've heard the rubber is a soft compound and wear quick. I'll just have to wait and see. I can't decide on whats next to save my life. BJ spacers and 33x1050s, or SAS, gears, dual e-lockers, and 35s, or a Sonoran rear bumper, or a M8000, etc....
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM

When BFG redid the MT a few years back to make it the KO, they did soften the compund for better grip, however I havent heard if it drop tire life that much. I know two people with the 32x11.50, one set in on a taco that is city driven, (and driven hard) and are wearing very well, I think he will get 50K+ from them. the other set is on a heep and he will also get 50K+ out of them.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 PM

i currently have the dunlop mud rovers. i will never buy these again. they wore really fast and wore very unevenly. i have about 27-28k on them and they are bald as an eagle on my street driven 04 silverado. i have them on my 94 runner as well in a bigger size and they are doin the same thing. 50k on those bfg's is sounding very appetizing. sorry for the confusion earlier. and i know how it is sometime things are takin wrong when they are typed rather than said. i know this because when the g/f is mad at me she texts me rather than calling me so im afraid ill make it worse if i reply because sometime things are read wrong. sorry for everything guys i hope i didnt make any enemies.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:19 AM

*Hijack on*
sometimes people can be a bit impatient about newbies asking old questions. Although there is no need to be rude about it, people continually are. There will always be newbies and there will always be confused people, so why not just say "please search" and not have to add any witty or dick comments. I just see it continually and dont understand why the pros dont just lay off and simply say "please search" and leave it at that!
*hijack off*

NOW back on the topic
Since I dont wheel much, most of my input will be about on-road driving with aggressive tires.
When i went from my 305/70/16 BFG MTs to 265/75/16 Pro Comp MTs, I noticed that the pro comp MTs exhibited much much more sway on the freeway, im assuming this is from a less stiff sidewall than the BFG MTs. My pro comp MTs do fine in the mud, but here in socal we dont get too much sticky mud. My BFG MTs did however exhibit much better wet pavement traction but that may be because they were way larger than the 265s and covered a greater surface area (more traction). Both sets of tires are safety siped but the factory grooved sipes on the pro comp MT are gone almost gone at 6k miles, 3k mile intervals for rotations and balances.

Moral of the story: BFG tires have worked better for me. My next tire will probably be the yokohama geolander AT because they are cheap but they kick ass from what i've heard from many people!

Last edited by BornChaos; 04-08-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:54 PM

thanks born i will take that into consideration.