Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

If you were to do it all over again, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to do it all over again, what would you do?

Hey guys,

Basically I've been into Honda's for a while, but living in south western BC there is a lot of bad weather and even more room to use a 4x4 in the mountains etc.

I've read up on a bunch of FAQ, most of it is too technical for what I'm looking for. I just want a direction of where to go.

I'm looking to buy a 89-95 Toyota pickup. Extended cab. I do a lot of commuting, but would also like the performance to do some mild off-roading. Nothing crazy.

I'm asking, what would you do, if you could start from scratch, with the knowledge that you have from doing your own thing?

What engine? I've read about the 22re, I like the idea of a 4 cyl for the gas mileage.
Does the pickup come stock with the 22re or is it a swapped engine?
Auto or 5spd?
What tires?
What lift? 2", 3" 4"?
Performance modifications?
Other modifications?

Any other hints or pointers?

I'm looking for something clean, decent looking, decent performing, and decent on the wallet.

I'm looking to spend between 5-7k.

Thanks alot guys.

Last edited by 9ine; 12-03-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 PM

for a commuter with MILD off road i would get a stock (yes from factory) 22re 4 cylinder 5 speed truck. get 4:56 gears from a runner or v6 pickup. put an aggressive set of 31-10.5's on it with zero lift. put a locker in the back and get a bud built cross member. you will have solid traction and ground clearance for a near stock rig and would not have to deal with the after math of huge tires or mutilated suspensions. My ride is a 93 ext cab 5 speed 22re. 2 inch toy tec "lift" with 33's a rear locker and aor bumper and soon to be bud built cross member and 4:88 gears when i rebuild the set that i have. this set up works very well for me but i put extra stress on steering components with the bj spacer lift. if i could do it again i would have bought rock sliders and the bud built cross member a long time ago. but you will be very capable in mild off road situations with a locked rear and 31's. and by that i mean youll be able to hold your own with the average 4 inch lifted rig with 33's of most makes. my .02
Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 PM

I'd start with stock and rust free and go from there. Chances are better it hasn't been beaten on if there's no lift, and you can make sure it's done safely and correctly when you do get one.

Four cylinder 5 speeds are peppier than the automatics. Everyone else here knows more about the wheelin' upgrades than I do, so I won't comment there. I drove an 86 for over 150K during my college years, and it was fairly decent in stock form with 31's. I went places my buddy's stock YJ couldn't.

Good luck with the truck you choose. You'll find that like Hondas, these are solid vehicles.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM

Definatly go for the 5speed. I had an automatic in mine and it was gutless so I swapped a 5speed in. Much better now
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
For that much money you'll be able to get a very well taken care of pickup for that year range. You could even get a nice tacoma if you looked around. The 22re came stock (along with a 3.0 v6). The 2.7 four cylinder in the tacoma is a good engine too. Can't go wrong with whatever you choose.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

STAY away from the 3.slow... especially the 2nd gen 4runner. They are heavy, and gutless. I know from experience! (Plus working on a 3.slow engine bay is a PITA. No room!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd definately start with the 22RE and a 5 speed. Upgrades in order of importance for mild offroading would be:

1. ARB air lockers rear, then front (assuming their available?)
2. 31-10.50 Hankook DynaPro ATs or Goodyear DuraTrac ATs or even 245/75-15s.

Free spinning differentials are the biggest hinderance to a stock 4x4, no matter the make or model. Those lockers are going to run over $2000 installed, new. However I think it is by far the most bang for the buck. I don't like the idea of an auto locker on snow and ice, I know others like them just fine, but I don't.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 PM

So,

To have a capable truck, I should look at a minimum of installing lockers, at least in the back, as well as some good tires?

Should I worry about doing any exhaust work/intake/cams etc.? I have read that it hardly ads any gains. I also don't want a loud annoying exhaust that is common on honda's when you upgrade them.

For armour, what do you guys recommend? I heard not to get nerf bars, or side steps. Rather I should get rock sliders and some custom bumpers?

Thanks alot guys,

Kyle
Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 PM

All depends on how much you want to spend, sliders are a good idea, skid plates, a winch bumper would be fairly high on my list too, which normally includes a bumper upgrade. A purpose built set of bumpers will help your approach and departure angles. If your not trying to turn monster tires, no need to upgrade the engine components, the factory stuff last forever.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd buy an old 70-89 K5 blazer.
Lifts are at max 500 bucks..
And starting point is a D44 with a 350/350 combo..
Not saying i don't like my toyota.
But if i'm building a wheeling rig, i really don't want to justify spending over 5G to beef up an axle, do a solid axle swap and another 3g for a bigger engine..
Can get an old K5 for cheap, a lift for cheap, etc etc. After all, it's a beater to get over some rocks.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not have bought my 86 turbo truck .It had a good maintenance history but I just bought at the wrong time. Lost my butt on that truck.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peow130
I'd buy an old 70-89 K5 blazer.
Lifts are at max 500 bucks..
And starting point is a D44 with a 350/350 combo..
Not saying i don't like my toyota.
But if i'm building a wheeling rig, i really don't want to justify spending over 5G to beef up an axle, do a solid axle swap and another 3g for a bigger engine..
Can get an old K5 for cheap, a lift for cheap, etc etc. After all, it's a beater to get over some rocks.
I had an 85 K5 Blazer, mine had the 305 with 700r4 trans. That truck did amazing in the mud with bald 35 BFGoodrich A/Ts on it, I miss that truck.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Everybody loves the extra offroad capability that comes with lockers, but they're not cheap. Since you said just a little "mild" offroading, I'd really recommend testing it out before dropping that change. You might be perfectly content with the stock capability and save yourself a few hundred.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 AM

I know you're thinkin pickup, but for that price range you oughta be able to find a 3rd gen 4runner 'limited' with a factory E-locker. That truck'll do anything you want and you won't have to drive around on slippery roads with an automatic locker, which is kind of a bummer. And I belieeeeeve that truck came off the line with 31's (correct me if I'm wrong, 4runner gurus).
The other advantage to the 4runner on snowy roads is that it's got more weight in the back, so you got a little better performance in the wet & twisties. And a roof is not to be underrated.

All that said, I get the pickup thing. I got one. If you're set on it, I'd go stock height and 31X10.5 BFGs or Wranglers. If you want a little more wheelin ability, add a rear locker. But if you got one, you'll use it. And then you'll end up in situations where you really wish you had rock sliders. So if you don't want your truck to look like it's been used for batting practice, I'd get a set right away.

But if you're only doing mild offroading, and you want to be able to use your 4WD on slick asphalt, I'd stay away from a lunchbox locker. Open diffs can get you further than some folks would have you think. Especially if you air down before you wheel.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:01 AM

The K5s are nice offroaders, but they are also big and won't fit well on many of the tight trails around my area. I think it will also be a lot harder to find a K5 period, much less one that you won't have to drop a bunch of money into to make it reliable. I love my 3rd gen 4runner so I 2nd that recommandation, but the Limited trim is just a bunch of plasic body cladding and leather seats. The SR5s came with rear lockers as a factory option also and they look better IMO. For engines, you can't go wrong with a 22RE, 2.7L, or a 3.4L V6. The 22RE and 2.7L both get mid-20s mpgs on the highway and the 3.4L get high teens - low 20s but it has a lot more power than the 4 bangers. Like Lysmachia said, avoid the 3.0L V6, it's got the power of a 4 and gets the mpgs of an 8 (worst mpgs-to-power ratio of all the 80s/90s Toyota engines) and it has lots of head gasket issues.

Lockers are great (I have front and rear ARBs), but those can be added whenever so I would worry about getting the right truck 1st and get used to how it does off road in stock form. Then you can decide if they are necessary or not for what you want to do. With $5-7K to spend, you could get just about any 90s Toyota truck or pickup you want. If you're wanting it for offroading, consider the '85 and earlier pickups and 4runners - they have solid front axles from the factory.

Last edited by brian2sun; 12-08-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
a bigger budget....
Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Get a pickup, bob the bed, make some cheap sliders and rear bumper, weld the rear, and beat the piss out of it. Everything i have done/am doing is getting expensive! and i need that money for other things.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

my $0.02, leave er bone dry... I am originally from chicago and now live in Tucson az via 4 years in flagstaff. I have seen all weather and conditions in my STOCK 92 4runner with not a problem to speak of that wasnt caused by stupidity (but even then it seems to get er done). I have the 3.slow with a 5spd. factory gears and no lift on 31x10.50 BFG AT's.
If you are only going to "mildly" off road (you do know that's only going to apply to the first time you take it off road, if that long dont you?) you will not have any problems with the stock configuration at all. I have put mine through hell, abuse, water over the hood (yotas have GREAT door seals i noticed, not a drop inside..lol) high centered on snow banks. wondered how the hell im gonna get out as people are asking " how ythe hell did you get here" as they come by on their quads. basically, rocks, sand, snow, mud, dirt and even air.
Totally stock 226,000 miles and never stuck yet (got a lil skeered a few times but never stuck)
if it has to be a truck the T100 is fine... whatever you get, MAKE SURE it has locking hubs. This generation came with either or and the ADD is nice but you have no freewheel spin, axles always turn...hubs, 5spd, motor really doesnt matter much, the performance is very similar in both the 22re and the 3.slow but there is a weight diff. that plays both ways good and bad, mileage is too similar to make the decision for you.

BUT, if you are looking at spending the amount you said, you should be able to find a 96 to 99 runner or tacoma...some have elect. locking diff in rear (rare but yes) and the 3.4 v6 is christ compared to the 3.0.
sorry so long....ramble ramble...home injured from work, bored..lol
OH, YOUR BIGGEST FACTOR on "mild" off roading (lmao) is going to be TIRE SELECTION
might i suggest the new BFG KM2.... for the pattern and ability they are quiet yet VERY aggressive.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

all ytou need to do is basically buy tires for the lil yota 4x. the rest is easy, as long as you have 4lo...lol
I've thought and thought about spending some BUCKS on my rig, alot of guys do. It just seems to me that it hasn't yet been neccessary for me to change gears, lift, modify or pilfer my rig as it does just fine on its own, and i do get into some interesting predicaments...hey guys, think of all the pics we didnt take in 4lo...lol...
look through some of the profiles with stock rigs as mine, check their pics, if you dont think you'll be doing anything crazier than what some of us do stock.
SOMETHING TO REMEMEBR IS THAT 88-95 TOYOTA 3VZE ENGINES HAD A HEADGASKET RECALL. If you make this choice call a toyota dealer service center and ask if the VIN from that car has had the recall procedure done. if not buy it...lol... on Toyota foots the bill on new top end gaskets and maintenance to replace them at NO cost to you.

Last edited by DIRT CLOD; 12-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:05 PM

if i could i woulda saved the money i spent on lift,tires rims,sound sytems, other useless stuff and saved for a 3.4 swap and 5 speed swap