Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

ICE like air conditioning wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICE like air conditioning wanted!

I have a 86 4Runner and I would like to put in AC... It looks as if it has had AC at one time before the motor rebuild, but I figured if I have to install a whole new system, why not make it as freezing as possible. I have to commute here in So Cal, and it gets damn hot inland, and I am not worried about how much of a loss of HP I will have or gas mileage. It was 118deg out there the other day, and I live by the beach, so that is like a driving into a oven!

Also I was looking to put in a metal racing type custom dash, so factor that in to play as far as hooking everything up, and if you have any input on where I can find a dash like that it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your not going to find a metal dash anywere, thats something you will have to custom fab your self. For the a/c, just find a truck or 4Runner of the same year with a/c and swap everything over.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:05 PM

is there a kit that I can buy from anywhere that has all of the complete parts for it?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, you've got a 4Runner... So without cooling the whole thing are you sure you're being realistic?

You've already got r12 so that's one plus... The other, a bigger compressor, I'm not sure you'll like...

Then you'll start a "22R has no power with AC on" thread... And we'll be right back to that word, "realistic", again...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 AM

^^x2
not much you really can do. think of all the open air you have in the passenger compartment to cool and then think of how much of an AC you have hanging off a window to cool a room off of the same size.

now if you put the AC back to factory and make sure all your weather stripping and glass runs are tight, that'll make a difference, but don't expect miracles from a tiny pump and a 4-banger
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
lol, I have wondered about a roof mounted RV-type AC thing though...

And truth be told, a friend just bought a Isuzu NPR with a refer body...

The thing gets a insulated space about as big as a 4Runner down to 30-40 degrees...

The compressor isn't really special or huge, but I bet it's got a lot of compression on it. And it is relatively big...

The condenser or whatever the thing is, is about 4-5 feet wide though.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 08-31-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM

Oh, and take up the carpet and get a sound and temperature insulator. It will also help with keeping the inside air in.

And insulate the top more.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 AM

bigger condenser up front and evaporator would help. More surface area for the air to cool and heat transfer to cool. Possibly another smaller evaporator in back. You could keep the pump size the same but it would cycle longer to build the same pressure in the system. AC charge would have to be experimented with because the normal pound or so of refrigerant wouldn't cut it.

so many variables!

If you're at all techie orientated, try to mock up the solar panel setup on the new prius that runs a fan while you're out of the vehicle that basically takes in outside air when it's hot. it's designed to lower the temp inside the vehicle so the ac doesn't have to work so hard right off the bat.