YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   The Great Debate (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/great-debate-233606/)

BigRed59 04-15-2011 04:46 PM

The Great Debate

What's up guys? Me again

I am still torn between getting a body lift or suspension lift.. I want to be able to clear for bigger tires, perform well off-road, and look good.

I am considering body lift because it's cheaper and does the job.

I am considering suspension lift because it would 1) look better than the body lift and 2) allow for better performance off road

I just want to go up to 33's and have a little flex. I know the stock suspension can flex but everyone I have talked to says body lifts are a complete waste of money. Suspension lifts are the better option, but for double, and in some cases, triple, the money.

What do you guys think?

1988 4Runner, 3VZ-E, Auto

BigBearSteve 04-15-2011 04:49 PM

Are you serious??:saw:

Spend you're money on suspension!!! :domo:

sebastianholmes 04-15-2011 04:59 PM

yes he is serious. how much lift do you want? you can do bj spacers and an aal to get 2 inches of lift suspension or go 2 inch body. or do both of those. i would NOT recommend a 3 inch body because it causes other issues like extending the gas filler and you shifters are super short. also do NOT get a bracket lift of any sorts. if you want 4 inches of lift get both of what i said earlier. its better, and costs WAY less. again, its all about how much lift you want. and what size tires you wanna clear.

Andrewb1369n 04-15-2011 04:59 PM

I know exactly what your talking about but if your going to do a lift do it right don't cut corners go suspension lift. Save money til you can afford it but don't go body lift.

sebastianholmes 04-15-2011 05:01 PM

why not go body lift? i dont understand why everyone hates them so much...

xxxtreme22r 04-15-2011 05:04 PM

Body lift alone = doesn't perform any better than stock. Unless your doing a drivetrain lift, then you will have more clearance under the center of the truck than stock.

Bracket lift = doesn't perform any better then stock. Unless you don't use the bump stop extensions then you will get more travel then stock but is not good on CV's.

BJ Spacers and Spring lift = Better travel then stock therefore performs better then stock. AAL may or may not give you more travel or the lift you want/need in the back depending on how flat your springs are.

BigRed59 04-15-2011 05:05 PM

well, from what i've seen, body lifts don't look too bad. haha. and that's the only thing keeping me from going suspension lift, is the fact that they cost $700+ for a good 3" lift

sebastianholmes 04-15-2011 05:09 PM

get this

http://www.wabfab.org/IFS-Lift-Kits/...ypage.tpl.html

and this

http://www.wabfab.org/Body-Lifts/1-B...ypage.tpl.html

BAM 3 inches of lift for around $400. or just get the first link, that probably all you need for now.

Am i awesome or what? :D lol

bobby_duce 04-15-2011 05:10 PM

bj spacers and aal are like $200.

xxxtreme22r 04-15-2011 05:11 PM

BJ spacer/Diff drop = $130 gives you about 2-2.5"

2" lift springs in factory location = < $300 (OME Springs)

5" (1" lift shackles) + Degree Shims = $80

That's a 3" lift that's gonna give you more travel then a 4" bracket lift and costs less than $600.

IMO AAL's aren't worth it. 2" AAL might actually only give you 1" overall from factory due to sagging rear springs. And AAL's typically provide a harsher ride and don't flex as well as new springs will.

sebastianholmes 04-15-2011 05:14 PM

xtreme has a good idea too. Bit in my opinion you don't need a diff drop since you have manual hubs and they aren't always turning you cvs... Well I think you have manual hubs. Fill us in. Lol

streetlancer 04-15-2011 05:38 PM

My 2 cents?
Due a 1"-1.5" body lift. If you find yourself needing a little more travel use low pro bumpstops;It keeps the ifs stock and stronger.If you feel the need to go higher couple that with bj spacers and uncrank torsion bars to stock or +.5" height. Good set of leafs out back and your set.

wifes4now 04-15-2011 06:36 PM

if you are low on cash, just slap a 2" body lift on it for now and when you more money get a good susp. lift later

James Woods 04-15-2011 06:44 PM

I am thinking of doing a body lift right now because I want to eventually lift the drive train about 2 inches, I have already bashed my gas tank and that was on the first trip

streetlancer 04-15-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods (Post 51703922)
I am thinking of doing a body lift right now because I want to eventually lift the drive train about 2 inches, I have already bashed my gas tank and that was on the first trip

Do it!! I just finished mine today and will be doing drivetrain lift aswell. Greatly increases ground clearance plus more room for engine swap...

James Woods 04-15-2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by streetlancer (Post 51703931)
Do it!! I just finished mine today and will be doing drivetrain lift aswell. Greatly increases ground clearance plus more room for engine swap...

Yeah, I have to get my motor running tip top before I start doing anything else I think, but to me, doing a 2 inch body lift and 2 inch drive train lift will get more clearance than doing a drop bracket and I think it may be either the same price or even a little cheaper or a lot cheaper depending on how your fab skills are.

sebastianholmes 04-17-2011 05:44 AM

if you do a drivetrain lift you lose all the extra room for an engine swap because the morotr gets lifted too

BigRed59 04-17-2011 03:30 PM

thanks for all your help guys. sebastianholmes, yes. i have manual hubs. lol. i think i'm just going to get all my other stuffs done and go for a suspension lift. they look better, get more clearance, more flex, and still allow me to run bigger tires.

James Woods 04-19-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sebastianholmes (Post 51704599)
if you do a drivetrain lift you lose all the extra room for an engine swap because the morotr gets lifted too

You don't actually have to lift the engine also, it's just preferred, also if you do a 2 inch body lift and a 2 inch drivetrain lift, it puts the engine in the stock location in regards to the body so you don't actually "lose" any room at all.