YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   EGR mystery (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/egr-mystery-306944/)

gilesitis 02-09-2019 03:17 PM

EGR mystery

As i continue to try to make sense of what my 3VZE runners PO has done to this truck, I noticed the EGR valve is missing a connector. I discovered it is the egr temperature sensor. At first I thought they might have tried to do some hack job Egr delete but it’s still on the vehicle (just missing the sensor connector).

Question is this some sort of egr mod that you’ve seen before? Or do I need to reconnect a temp sensor wire? I am imagine this could cause performance issues.

millball 02-09-2019 06:02 PM

You don't say what year your truck is and whether it is federal or cali spec. Not all emissions regimes used an egr temp sensor.

Don't think the temp sensor actually exerts any control, but only lights check engine light and sets code if low temp indication shows that there is no egr flow when the ECM says that there should be flow.

You got a wiring harness plug and no sensor on the egr, or you got a sensor on egr and no harness plug???

gilesitis 02-09-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by millball (Post 52417905)
You don't say what year your truck is and whether it is federal or cali spec. Not all emissions regimes used an egr temp sensor.

Don't think the temp sensor actually exerts any control, but only lights check engine light and sets code if low temp indication shows that there is no egr flow when the ECM says that there should be flow.

You got a wiring harness plug and no sensor on the egr, or you got a sensor on egr and no harness plug???

1988 model and I don’t believe it’s Cali specific. It has been in the southeast since the dealership.

i don’t have the sensor on the egr and I could not find a vacant harness plug

millball 02-09-2019 06:21 PM

I don't think your '88 truck ever had an egr temp sensor.

I've got a '92 FED/CANADA spec 3vz that has NO egr temp sensor and I have a '95 FED/CANADA spec 3vz that DOES have the temp sensor. Both are 4Runners.

gilesitis 02-09-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by millball (Post 52417908)
I don't think your '88 truck ever had an egr temp sensor.

I've got a '92 FED/CANADA spec 3vz that has NO egr temp sensor and I have a '95 FED/CANADA spec 3vz that DOES have the temp sensor. Both are 4Runners.

I think this mystery is solved, thank you. I also just read something that supports the temp sensor is only for Cali spec.

Do you you know how I could check to see if the egr valve is stuck?

millball 02-09-2019 06:31 PM

With the engine idling, apply vacuum to the egr valve diaphragm and the engine should run very rough, or even stall.

This proves egr function. A valve stuck partially open often causes rough idle,

gilesitis 02-09-2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by millball (Post 52417912)
With the engine idling, apply vacuum to the egr valve diaphragm and the engine should run very rough, or even stall.

This proves egr function. A valve stuck partially open often causes rough idle,

Thanks, not sure how to do that, but I’ll keep researching it.