YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   easiest way to remove cranshaft pulley (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/easiest-way-remove-cranshaft-pulley-305166/)

Republic77 07-24-2018 12:30 PM

easiest way to remove cranshaft pulley

22 re out of truck, taking off pulley for installation on new motor.
tips, tricks?
No compressor right now, got hand tools and breaker bars.
Thanks in advance!
Edit: rope in cylinder, or make tool to lock flywheel?
Any others?

wyoming9 07-24-2018 12:53 PM

With a Helper to put a bar through the drive shaft

I have used a pipe wrench on the drive shaft years ago

I cheat and spin it off with my impact

Republic77 07-24-2018 01:32 PM

Thanks Wyoming,
I tried the rope trick and it worked, shoulda done a better search before I posted.
My trusty compressor took a dump on me, so I am doing things the old fashion way.

thefishguy77 07-26-2018 08:37 AM

Another way I have done it out of the truck is with a short piece of angle iron and pull 2 of the small pulley bolts. Go get long enough grade 5 or better replacement bolts that allow you to connect the angle iron through properly aligned drilled holes. Then put a big breaker bar on the nut and break it loose. But when possible I use the starter method for breaking them loose.

Republic77 09-17-2018 08:57 PM

Alright, now that my flywheel and crank pulley are off,the new parts are ready to go back on,
what is the easiest way?
Motor is out of truck, do I start with the flywheel, or crank pulley?

How do I fix the crank in place while I am doing the first end?
Also, I do not have a compressor so is it gonna be a very long bar to achieve proper torque?
Thanks in advance!

thefishguy77 09-18-2018 06:18 AM

I think I torqued my crank pulley bolt last when I did my engine last time. Got it as tight as I could with a 1/4" impact then bolted the engine back to the trans in the rig. Stuck it in gear and blocked all 4 tires. Then put the torque wrench on it and hit the torque spec.

I had a piece of 1" angle iron I used for drilling hole and locking stuff up. Like I described in my post above. Pretty sure I may or may not have used that same technique with a fly wheel in the past as well.

gsp4life 09-18-2018 07:26 AM

Crank pulley first. Last time I used a huge chain wrench which is what the fsm recommends (wrap the pulley to protect it), but isn't the best way. Better is to use a homemade tool to thread to the pulley like fishguy mentions. Torque it to spec.

Then you can put a breaker bar (with a cheater pipe unless you're a beast) on the crank bolt and tighten the flywheel bolts to 80 ft/lbs. It won't loosen the 116 ft/lb crank bolt or hurt the forged crank.

Republic77 09-18-2018 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I am gonna make the tool that fishguy suggested and go from there.

Kolton5543 09-18-2018 08:28 PM

I've used an old belt an c-clamp before. Wrap the belt around the pulley tight and pinch the belt together tightly with a small c-clamp. Loop the other end of the belt around a nearby bolt or pulley and torque as needed.