Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Do I count? 1985 Toyota "Belair" 22re running on 3 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I count? 1985 Toyota "Belair" 22re running on 3 cylinder

Hey Thur,

This is my first post. What Ive got here is a 1985 yota base with a big old (poorly built)(ehem!) motorhome on the back that I am in the midst of tearing up and rebuilding.

I have to say that its the most fun Ive had in a long time but recently we noticed a big loss of power and sputtering engine. Ran seafoam, replaces plugs, wires and air filter. Found out that #4 cylinder (?)(the back one) was not firing. This was determined by pulling the plug wire on that cylinder and noting that there was no change in idle when pulled. Also have concluded that the plug is getting spark- when I put the wire back over the plug I can hear it ticking- sparking I assume.

This makes me think that it must be the injector. I am a little paranoid that some bad gas- debris or whatever got through the fuel filter and has clogged the injector, after all before I bought this thing it had been sitting for a few years. I think this more so because right before this problem started I ran the gas tank down the most I ever have since bought. I imagine that it must have almost been dry in there.

Have had the RIG for about two months and 1,000 miles (5 tanks of gas maybe). Have also added Murphys oil to the gas.

Its kind of bugging me because the thing ran great- better than any other 22re Ive ever owned before. Heck, I was getting 18 mpg on the highway in this thing and that was before doing any tune-up work!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, yall.

Also would like to point out that the tarp on the roof is a symbol of the previous owners negligence of this vehicle. I have put a new one on, just have to seal the seams to be confident in its water-shedding abilities.

Peace yall, Happy Friday
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM

I dontknow what Murphy's oil is, but I have put marvel oil in a gas tank and clogged up everything between the tank and engine. If it set long you might consider dropping the tank and cleaning it, a couple gallons of lacquer thinner, one at a time, and shake around or an hour or so will go a long ways toward deshelacking. Then replace filter and prolly it might run. You may have to clean injectors. Check the four plug for fouling, and gap and clean them all.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats with the Murphy's oil?. IIRC it's soap for cleaning wood. Is this some urban legend concoction?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 AM

Whups, right it was Marvels. Had to check the can again. So thats not Murphys, Marvels..

Plugs should be good they are brand new.

Elger IDK man, drop the tank? If it was May I would say OK but its cold out there boy! It appears to me that if the "Marvels" oil is oil that is clogging up the engine, then maybe some highly activating Techron may help to rinse it out.

Funny at first I thought that it might have been a fuel issue but moved away from it for some forgotten reason more recently. Maybe it was too good (and simple) to be true?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Maybe try a few can's of seafoam, I wouldn't think that marvels would clog up motor.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Just looked at a 90 toyota with a ruined Winnebago. Towing service got hold of it. Sitting for years. Towing service had to replace tank ($1,000+), sending unit, fuel lines, fuel filter (along frame), and run cans of seafoam. Better but not perfect yet.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Ks: a few cans? Oy vey well better than the alternative I suppose... Guess I will just run Seafoam until my head spins and see how that goes.

Peabody! We are twins! So far Ive spent about $2k on materials for the walls and ceiling/roof and dang maybe 150 hrs. Tore out alomst everything, all of the appliances, most of the furnature, man I have to stop talking about it Im getting tired just thinking about it and Im to go out there in a few...

so are you just going to trash the winnie and call it a truck or what?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM

oh wait you "looked at it". BUY BUY BUY great investment lol
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Not mine yet. It has 52,000 on ODO. Good body, frame. Can't decide.

I have a dead 92 dually, flatbed, 5-speed with a brake fluid/salt-eaten frame. You can see where I might be going with this.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=watershoes;51997612]Ks: a few cans? Oy vey well better than the alternative I suppose... Guess I will just run Seafoam until my head spins and see how that goes.

Start with one can, follow directions and see if that helps, It will probably work better than murphy's oil. JK Good Luck. Post back with results.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Those fuel treatments are ok if the problem is not too bad, but if it is bad drop the tank, it's only like 10 bolts then poor a gallon of lacquer thinner in it and shake it every five minutes for about an hour, it will clean it out, then run the fuel treatments to clean up the rest of the system.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM

Could swap injectors with another cylinder and if the symptoms follow the injector then you found your problem.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would follow Mitchells advise. Guessing it is clogged. If it still isnt firing on #4 then I would suspect the crimp that connects it to #2 in the wiring harness or the connector itself. I have seen them come loose and the other injector still fire as they share a common line. The crimp that connects the two injectors is a poor design.

On post #664 I have more info if you should need to go that far into it.
Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...9/index27.html
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Happy Sunday yota peeps!

Id say Go with it peabody. Cant get much better than a yota dually if ya ask meh

Thanks Ks, I will run a tank or two with Seafoam and if this doesnt do the trick I will look into the other avenues.

Elger- it may be bad...I mean i still have to drive the "thing" (has the soul of a Tiger, its just a Tiger thats a little under the weather atm)...but for example when I come home and have to reverse it up the driveway (slight incline), it really putters and stalls. For some reason reverse is the worst :/

Hey Mitch, sounds like a good idea. Is removing injectors very involved? I have a regular kind of mechanics tool set etc. Just want to be prepared if it means buying any rebuild kits (gaskets/seals?? etc) or if I need any special tools :/

Terrys I had heard about the loose connector. Had since forgotten. Today I will unplug and reinsert to see if this helps.

Yesterday I was driving it with Techron in the engine and kept imagining that it everything was getting cleaned, and that everything was all better. Unfortunately this was not the case, but one can dream

Just out of curiosity, am I putting myself or the RIG or the engine of the RIG in any immediate danger by driving it on 3? I mean besides the lack of power...I just wonder if there is any added stress going to the other three to make up for that one problem child. I mean Im fine riding the bike when theres no rush and its not raining but sometimes its necessary, and well I guess you guys wouldn't be suggesting I run Seafoam in there if it was dangerous... Suppose I just need a little more validation, thats all

Thanks yall!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM

I'd also introduce some of the seafoam into intake, not just the fuel tank.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i was looking into a 1uz swap alot of people said that when the motors sit sometimes the injectors stick and all you generally have to do is with the engine running rev it up a little and tap the injector with a wrench or something and it will unlock if not you could send the injectors to somebody and have them ultrasonically cleaned or whatever they call it, possibly a new set whichever is cheaper
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreidel
you could send the injectors to somebody and have them ultrasonically cleaned or whatever they call it, possibly a new set whichever is cheaper
Witchhunter up northwest U.S. way... Did an excellent job on my injectors, I highly recommend.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Also, no I don't remember taking the injectors out to be a hard job really. I rebuilt a 22re as my first real automotive endeavor though so I'm not really scared off by much with these engines lol.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Hey Guys!!

Good news, it was the injector. After helping a friend out with some work on his engine (1980 Rabbit) I gained some confidence and decided to give it a shot. How easy!!! Bolts and hoses and a couple of gaskets and gas lines... Once I had it all off and found the clogged injector I found that the filter screen on actual injector was clogged with brown stuff. Upon further investigation there was also some buildup in that side of the fuel rail. Dug out the injector screen and dowsed and cleaned it all with degreaser.

Also I figured that while I was in there Id replace the fuel filter in case it has any trouble with whatever the original cause. Also figured Id look for that cause- went to drop the gas tank and saw that this would be nearly impossible (bolts rusted solid). What I did instead was drive the thing around like a bastard slamming the brakes etc (to shake up the gas that was in the tank), then parked it and drained some gas to inspect for dirtiness. Looked pretty good and clear to me so Im thinking that the clogged injector/fuel rail could have been initiated by bad gas, and not a bad tank(?).

"The Tiger" runs like a beat now and this whole thing was a real fine, "get to know ya" project. Thanks for all the help brothas
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM

I went the other way with things. 22Re first then helped rebuild a vw 1.8 16 valve.

Glad to hear you figured it out.

Last edited by Mitchell12; 12-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Do I count? 1985 Toyota "Belair" 22re running on 3 cylinder