Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Detroit Tru-Trac: Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit Tru-Trac: Looking for advice

Well, went out on a trail ride yesterday, and came to the realization that i've finally come to the point where I need a little more help. Me, my little bro (98_3RZ), and Tony (4runnincolorado) went up to Rollins Pass and did the jenny creek trail. There were quite a few times on that trail where I was REALLY hating the open diffs, especially in the slick, water hidden rock sections of that particular trail. It really was challenging, and there were a couple point's where I wasn't sure i'd be able to make it with my truck and its current mod's. Now, my plan had always been to eventually get a Detroit Tru-trac for the rear, and some yet-to-be-determined locker or lsd in the front.

My question is what do ya'll think about the tru-trac? Who like's them and who doesnt? I've installed a few in J**P's, and the owner's seem like they like them, but I never really get to talk to them after they've had them for a while, and gotten a chance to really get some mile's on them. Any ideas? Input? Critisizm?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it! Lockers are awesome! I got lockrites front and rear, but if I'm not mistaken the Detroit is a very similar design. "Lunchbox" or "automatic" locking differential.
My experience has been that I no longer need 4hi ever. My two wheel drive, with two tires actually turning, is extremely effective for sand, mud, and just good ole' wheelin. When it's time for boulders, I drop into 4lo and the only way to get stuck is to get all four tires off the ground. I've had the truck on two sidewalls in a ditch, put it in reverse, and climbed right out. And if you're IFS, I'd call it almost a necessity. That suspension just doesn't flex, so your only real option is to put tires in the air all day long. When you got a locker, you know that no matter what, the tire on the ground is gonna grab.
So that's my infomercial for lockers. They're super rad. And I've had no significant problems with road manners. It bucks a little if you don't hold the gas around corners and every now and again it'll pop loose with a sound like a cannon, but nothing dangerous. My pickup with the locked diff is actually my rainy day commuter, 'cause it handles bad road conditions way better than the motorcycle.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, the TT is a limited slip. The best ltd slip b/c there are no clutches and springs.

It's all gears.

If you need or want a limited slip it's the best option I know of, maybe outside a Torsen.

Where lockers are locked and both tires are at the ready 100% of the time, the TT needs wheel spin in order to bump the other side.

WAY more streetable, and WAYYY better than the alternative... An open diff.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
No, the TT is a limited slip. The best ltd slip b/c there are no clutches and springs.

It's all gears.

If you need or want a limited slip it's the best option I know of, maybe outside a Torsen.

Where lockers are locked and both tires are at the ready 100% of the time, the TT needs wheel spin in order to bump the other side.

WAY more streetable, and WAYYY better than the alternative... An open diff.
The Tru-Trac is a torsen, and that was the biggest selling point on it for me. I don't wanna be pulling my 3rd in a couple years to put new clutches in. I got the wild hair up my butt to put a lockrite or aussie back there, but then I got to thinkin about the price of tires, so that put a non-selectible locker out of my mind completely. I also thought about an ARB, but that idea went in the trash pretty quickly when I saw the price and the fact that it wouldn't help on the street at all. So that brought me to the LSD idea, and thus the Tru-Trac.

The Jeeps that i've put them in behaved very well on the street, but like I said above, I have no word on how they do after I did the initial test drive...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My impressions of my old front TT:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml#Impressions
Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 AM

That's some good info 4Crawler. I need a little time to digest.

BTW, Thanks for the quick order and delivery on those bolts! Two days! Awesome man. Thanks again for the help figuring those out.

-Edit- forgot to mention, I'm IceBlueT over on 4x4wire.

Last edited by 250000_yota; 10-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.