Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Bought a 1986 Pickup with a 22RE Turbo and need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a 1986 Pickup with a 22RE Turbo and need some advice.

Howdy! First off thank you for this sight, its been an awesome help in the past.

I have been coming here for info for years, but am a new user. I have used the search function and google but don't have all of my questions answered yet. There are some great write ups on how to do it but not really when you should do it..
I don't want to dive into this with partial info like I did with my 3vze... can-o-worms.

QUESTION: =D

I just picked up a 1986 5-speed toyota pickup with a 22re turbo and manual hubs.

Everything besides the bed is factory. Timing chain head gasket possibly sparkplugs... It has had 2 owners, First one I have no idea about other than he sold it at 30k. Second owner says he bought it from a dealer 30 some years ago. It now has around 300k miles on it. I'm not sure how much because the speedo stopped working at 256k.

The thing runs great other than the clutch is a little soft and possibly slipping and rust on the rear frame. (gonna take a grinder and weld some support/patches) I havn't taken off the valve cover to check the chain yet, but I'm pretty sure it needs changing. Like I said he clutch seems like it might be going but the master cylinder needs to be bled for sure.

I was thinking about rebuilding it but you know the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I figure I should at least change the timing chain. I'm sure it has stretched to all heck by now but Should I go ahead and replace the pump and timing cover too? Ebay has them for $30 but a whole rebuild kit is $250...

Don't really want to throw money at it since it still runs great, but at the same time I don't want that chain to snap and break stuff either...

Also, is there anything else that might need maintenance? Hubs, tranny, diffs?

Any help will be awesome!
Thanks!

Pop.

PS: bought it for $400 with new tabs included =P

Oh, It does have a new alternator, calipers, clutch master cylinder. Other than that he says its all stock.

EDIT:

Forgot about the Exhaust...

ITs gone from the cab back. I think the cat is still on but there in no muffler. Thinking about going 2 1 half in straight pipe?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Popcan; 10-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is not the chain you need to worry about it is the guides being worn through and the chain rubbing through the timing cover into the water jacket..

Only you know perhaps when the fluids were last changed ??

Clutch Master cylinder done without the slave and the rubber hose??

The hoses are they all hard and brittle with age

The belts?

The brake system??

fuel and brake lines if the truck lived in the great salt belt.

So much that may need to be done
Old 10-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replying!

all oils changed regularly. Not sure about the oil filter... Rear break lines are new (forgot about that) and the front lines look ok. Has new brakes and calipers on front. less than 1000 miles.

I'm not sure about clutch set up. He said it was replaced but the clutch never felt right after that he said. I'm make sure to check on that tomorrow.

Hoses are nice and rubbery.

Truck was on the Olympic Peninsula for most of the time he had it. That's were it is now.

Its so old and has never had much of any anything done to it besides oil changes. It runs too well for something this old. I've heard of how good 22r's are but I wasn't expecting this.

As long as the chain guides are good the chain is good?

UPDATE:

I asked the previous owner about the master cylinder and he says that he did replace the master cylinder and the lines. I bled it today and the clutch problem went away.

He also said he forgot that he had the head gasket done at around 100k but he wasnt sure if they did anything else. I still didn't get a chance to take off the valve cover to check the chain guides. My guess is that they must have been replaced when the HD was done to last this long?

I drove it 40 miles and the little bugger seems to run fine.

Last edited by Popcan; 10-21-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: about