YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Black or chrome bumper??? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/black-chrome-bumper-207072/)

stevenauman 03-15-2010 06:45 PM

Black or chrome bumper???

1 Attachment(s)
Painted the old crusty bumper black to see...the chrome was rusting thru...I think it looked better chrome and am thinking of buying a new one.Took it for a ride and some guys yelled "youre leaking!" Found a bad leak at the front main #%$*&!!

iamsuperbleeder 03-15-2010 06:49 PM

I think if you painted the grill to match, it might look a bit better, like Jay351's (maybe he'll post a pic of his for an example :great:)

I think maybe it looks a little "off" because it's half chrome and half black :dunno:

runneroffroad 03-15-2010 06:53 PM

ya paint the grill black and it match/come together in the front better. i like the black on blue looks good.

pb4ugotobed 03-15-2010 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went with flat black because it's easier to touch up when you scrape it off on trees and stuff out on the trail... :)

pb4ugotobed 03-15-2010 07:50 PM

Wait a minute... I've seen that truck runnin around here before. maybe a week or so ago? I'm in psj...

and the front main leak is easy. It's the rear main that's a bastard...

stevenauman 03-15-2010 08:50 PM

psj

I live in the Groves...havent been out much yet.just got the truck driveable and was goin to get a tag today till I found the oil leak.Already got it down to the pulley.Gonna do the timing belt too as it got oily.

pb4ugotobed 03-16-2010 04:18 AM

Maybe it wasn't the same truck... I remember seeing a grey one out that direction with that same light bar on it though... You don't see a lot of those things around. Oh well. Do you need a seal? I think I have a couple extras around in the garage if you want one. I actually have quite a few 'extra' parts I've accumulated (I bought my truck from a guy in MI for super cheap cause it didn't run, had no compression on 2 of 6 cyl's, etc). Have slowly been bringing it back from the grave, as time permits... Let me know if you need anything for it.

stevenauman 03-16-2010 05:27 AM

grey truck

That was my truck you saw....before my son hit a semi that turned in front of him!Thanks for the offer, i think Ill go get a new one today when I get a timing belt.I think I saw your truck on craigs list last year...

pb4ugotobed 03-16-2010 05:55 AM

That was probably it. He listed it as having a "blown head gasket" but failed to mention the headgaseket was fine, and it instead had severe valve issues. That's all right though, the junkyard in titusville had a couple 3.0's up there, and I got a head for like 80 bucks with a good cam :) I've rebuilt engine, suspension, replaced a ton of stuff, fixed a lot of electrical issues, replaced transmission, (will be replacing tranny again soon once I get time to rebuild it)... There literally isn't anything on this truck I haven't touched in some way, shape, or form. Will be putting a new starter in it today because the old one has been giving me some issues as of late... regret not doing it while I had the tranny out last time. Even with the wheels and tires, I still have less than 2 grand into the truck, and drive it daily now. (driving it daily is why I traded a guy my swampers for a set of 33" procomp mud's) Working at toyota helps I guess... :) On my 3rd set of wheels, and 4th or 5th set of tires trying to find a set I like... finally think I got it right!

When you get your timing belt, just be advised you'll probably need the idler pulley at the same time. (the one at the top with the water pipe going through the middle). This was THE stupidest idea ever, and I have yet to ever take one off that doesn't need replaced.

stevenauman 03-16-2010 07:07 AM

Thanks for the info..Ill check the idler pulley.Hope the seal fixes my oil leak.Ill be able to tell when I get the pulley and tinmiing gear off.

pb4ugotobed 03-16-2010 07:15 AM

If you don't have a puller, some PB Blaster and a hammer to kinda tap on it to shock it loose and sometimes it will slide right off. If not use a couple pry bars, you can kinda work the pulley back and forth and kinda walk it off.

PErsonally I use a puller and a 19mm wrench. Comes right off every time :D

stevenauman 03-16-2010 05:43 PM

got the seal and timing belt on,but put the pulley on BEFORE the lower cover.DOH!Used an impact on the pulley bolt and couldnt get it loose again...ran out of time.Might need to make a toyota SST to break it loose!and everthing was goin so smooth..oh well,tomorrow Ill get it loose again.

pb4ugotobed 03-16-2010 06:44 PM

I just use a chain wrench. You can use the old drive belt if you're putting new ones on, to keep the chain from digging into the pulley. Or a rag. Then I'll just use a chain wrench and a ratchet.

Alternatively, you could rest a breaker bar against the frame rail and bump the starter. That'll bust it loose with minimal effort ;)

stevenauman 03-17-2010 05:39 AM

Used a giant channel lock clamped on grooved alternater pulley belt for padding"clamped tight with vice grip clamp",and locked up against the P.S pump.Then I used a pipe on the ratchet for leverage on the bolt.It worked great.thanks for the old belt idea to protect the pulley!Now Im goin to town to get new belts...they were all pretty bad(cracking,oily,etc...)I have an excuse to go to harbour freight now for a chain wrench!

CodyX36 03-17-2010 07:15 AM

Not a pickup, but this is after I painted my back bumper flat black. I'll never go back to chrome! Gotta take it off, sand it down, and paint another couple coats this summer though. I painted this around Christmas, and since I was careless about how cold it was, there are a few specks up top that are chipped. Besides that it's holding up great though!

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ner/truck2.png

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lackbumper.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...umperclose.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/DSC02811.png

tj884Rdlx 03-17-2010 08:27 AM

i like the black. my preference would be to do the lower valence to match the body. the chrome in the grille goes well with the headlight trim and your cleared signal lenses. i'd leave that chrome. but the bumpers i'd want to match the flares, which look great in black on this truck.

like this:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...100cl/blue.jpg

stevenauman 03-17-2010 09:19 AM

Wow!Nice work.I think Ill try that.

pb4ugotobed 03-17-2010 04:34 PM

fuggit... krylon the whole thing camo :P

BTW I would HIGHLY recommend Toyota belts. I've tried several sets of aftermarket belts (dayco, gates, etc) and every damn one of them doesn't fit for crap. They're all long and don't leave a lot of room for adjustment once they set in and stretch a lil bit (they all do). I threw a set of yota belts on (finally) and have had to 'adjust' them once... and by 'adjust' I mean take them off, scrub them with soap and water to get all of the mud/sand caked out of them, and reinstall... because they would 'chirp' a second when I'd first start the truck cold.

If you swing by the dealership, lemme know. I'm there pretty much every day.

stevenauman 03-17-2010 07:25 PM

R u at M.i (Erdman)?What dept...parts,service?What do u go by..P.B for short?LOL...WE have a corolla,camry,and my bro has a scion xB.Used steve in sales dept,he is alright.Oh,I still have the donor truck if you need any thing.3.0 5spd.im gonna yank the front diff and axles and get rid of my add.

pb4ugotobed 03-18-2010 04:23 AM

Yeah I work at erdman. Some people call me chris, some just call me a dick :) I'm a service tech/science project afficionado (long story). I know sap pretty well, I've been up there for a few years. Chances are at some point I've worked on one of your cars, and if you've had anything added to them when they sold it (a bluetooth, spoiler, etc) chances are that I did it.