YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Aussie, spool, or open diff for front of 94 IFS truck? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/aussie-spool-open-diff-front-94-ifs-truck-200300/)

JollyGreen 12-31-2009 05:10 PM

Aussie, spool, or open diff for front of 94 IFS truck?

I have a 94 IFS truck with a rear e-locker. I don't rock crawl ever. just trail riding with 31's.
Would you weld/spool the front diff, put an aussie/detroit in the front, or just leave it open?

99 sas runner 12-31-2009 05:27 PM

i have a 86 i was thinkin of weldin. is ther snow were you live???

JollyGreen 12-31-2009 05:29 PM

once every 5 years for 2-5 days.

91diesel 12-31-2009 05:49 PM

I had the same thing in a 91 (e-locker). My $.02 is either leave it open or put an arb in it. I just put an arb in mine and I can tell you that when it is locked it is a pain to steer. It just plain won't do it on pavement and regular dirt isn't much different. I was debating the same options (lsd or aussie) when I got a real good deal on an arb setup and I'm glad I didn't do any of the others.

99 sas runner 12-31-2009 06:03 PM

hmm i would go with a sas haha jk. im not sure

toyota4x4907 12-31-2009 06:34 PM

Leave it open or put in an ARB.

space-junk 12-31-2009 06:38 PM

if your just trail riding, do you really NEED a front locker? not trying to be rude, but think of the stress that it puts on the front end components, AND like people have posted you gotta be popeye to turn a locked front end... either leave it open, orif you feel your really need it, do an ARB... but idsay that unless your rock crawling, you wont need a front locker...

kottunmewth 12-31-2009 06:45 PM

I have read on other forums were a lot of people have used an aussie locker and really loved them.I had plans to put aussies in bought of my diff but planning something different now,but the cost of an aussie is well worth it,you can buy 3 aussies for the price of one arb unless you can get a really good deal.If your thinking of a spool just weld it,same result.Its not pleasant on solid ground or pavement.Hard to steer,keeps wanting to go in a straight line.Give you a good work out though.

waskillywabbit 12-31-2009 06:47 PM

If you aren't crawling a front locker is pointless, like a milk bucket under a bull.

Welding a diff to me is stupid, ruins it when you can get a spool for relatively cheap and not destroy a diff.

Selectable locker up front is the most desirable IMO, thus an ARB. Elockers are weak IMO and just don't hold up to serious wheeling.

:guitar:

kottunmewth 12-31-2009 06:54 PM

Well space junk,I have seen a lot of people get stuck because they didnt have the front locked and got that one wheel in the air or elevated a little higher then the other and didnt have 4 wheel drive no more they had 3 wheel drive or even worse 2 wheel drive because of that dam limited slip junk or open diffs and wouldnt turn both tires on the axle.I would definently put some thing up there and in the back.:popcorn:

dropzone 12-31-2009 10:18 PM

i am running aussie's F/R. I rock crawl and other 4 wheeling. From what you said, 31's & trail running you don't need a front locker. Save your money for something else and keep your FE open

doing a locker install on an IFS front end is not as easy as doing a rear third...

03coma 01-05-2010 07:16 AM

I there a different selectable locker other than arb? I just bought my 03 tacoma and wanted to make it more trail worthy than what it is. I've almost gotten stuck in slippery situations before with out one.

kottunmewth 01-05-2010 09:50 PM

Detroit has an E locker.It just as expensive as the arb,and it limits you on use.Go to detroit lockers web site and do some reading up on it before you buy it.Not sure if they offer it for a taco.:google:

brian2sun 01-05-2010 10:09 PM

AFAIK, ARB is the only selectable locker available for the Taco's/4Runner's front diff. I agree with the majority, leave the front open if you don't crawl. In 4LO and the rear locked, my truck is pretty tough and there isn't much I've found that I can't do. I don't feel the need to get a front locker unless I SAS someday and turn my DD into a true beast.