Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Advice on buying newer onroad/offroad 4Runner?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on buying newer onroad/offroad 4Runner?

OK so yes I'm a newbie and have not done extensive searches, but I think my situation is probably unique enough to warrant a post. I do believe my topic will be valuable to the forum....

So here's my situation.....
  • I'm a father of three and it is likely our family will grow over the next few years....(and we often need extra seats anyhow)
  • We live off-grid 2 miles up a HORRIBLE old rutted logging trail and 9 miles from any pavement.
  • My family and I drive to town about once a week or so.
  • We've been making do with our 2001 Ford F-150 Crew cab 4x4 which is pretty much stock except it has all terrain tires that are snow rated and a winch.
  • We have had to replace the whole front end suspension on the F-150 about once every year and a half or so because of what our road does to our truck.
We are about to buy a newer (2012-2017) Toyota 4Runner and I've got a $30k budget..... Here is what we are looking for specifically...
  • 3rd row seating is a must
  • 4x4 a must (obviously)
  • under 75k miles
  • Must handle well on pavement (and ideally get half decent gas mileage)
  • ideally locking rear diffs
  • something that can stand up to the abuse of our driveway (having to replace the front end less often would be great)
  • ideally some kind of upgraded suspension and possibly a slight lift?
So there is where my question really starts.... suspension. I don't know much about off-road suspension. It would be great if I did not have to replace my front end every year and a half. Considering the fact that every time we come and go from our house we have a 4 mile (round trip) off road adventure, I would like something built to take off-road abuse, however the vast majority of the rest of our miles will be highway mileage, so it is absolutely essential that it handles well on the pavement. I will admit, I do like the look of slightly lifted trucks, but I can honestly say aesthetics are the least of my concerns. I've read the TRD PRO trim is the best for off-road but I've also heard that you can't get the 3rd row in this one (not to mention it's hard to find one within my budget.)

I'm looking all over the country for something that fits the bill and I am mostly finding stock 4Runners in my budget, but occasionally I stumble across something like this

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...636788644.html

Yes this one is a bit out of my price range, but is a truck like the one above (slightly lifted and upgraded suspension) gonna fit the bill for me better that a stock 4runner? Overall, will the maintenance costs of a slightly lifted vehicle be more or less for how I would use it? Is a slight lift even worth it for my situation? I know not all lifts are created equal, but I am confused and a bit ignorant about the ins and outs of it all. I guess I am already rambling a bit in this post, I've got more to say/ask, but I'll save it. Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 08-05-2018, 02:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your drive way is so bad it takes out the front suspension of your Ford 150 anything you buy will pretty much be in the same boat .

Just what parts were being replaced ??

I am guessing your access road is not yours so any upgrades to make it more passable are not going to happen.

Maybe a 4Runner that has had a Solid Axle swap will hold up better Then you get into the quality of work done

Suspension and steering for the last 2 miles will most likely not be comfortable for highway use to some people

Two vehicles maybe one with tracks makes getting out in 3 feet of snow much easier

Under 75 ,000 may as well just look at 2017 and 2018 Toyota`s get driven
Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've replace the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends on the f-150 3 times in 5 years and I believe the pitman arm and idler arm twice, also the hub assembly/bearings twice, I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting.... I'd have to look at the records again to be sure. I worked on it with a buddy once in his garage, but mostly I'm taking it to the local mechanic. I'm finding a few with under 75,000 as old as 2010. We plan to eventually improve the road but it will be at least a few years as there is legal recourse necessary to procure the "legal access"..... Plus then there's the actual time/energy/money needed to improve the road. We have considered the tracked vehicle option especially in the winter.... plowing is a whole other story and we have mostly resorted to the snowmobile when the snow gets too deep......