Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 4runner 3.0 3vze misfire and more

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy 94 4runner 3.0 3vze misfire and more

Long story short, my 4 runner had a misfire and blinking engine light that I noticed around New years and most recently a sputter started and a lot less power. Unfortunately I didn't get around to attempting to fix it till now because of life as you know it.. I'm not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined so I had a go at it this entire month of august. Delays due to employment and having to wait for parts and more parts to be delivered and a lot of research. Before I had at it, I ran my obd1 codes, 42 my spedo/odo (stopped working) and 12 for my distributor. I decided to do a overhaul of the entire intake and fuel injection system. An injector was leaking fuel and the o-rings were no longer rubber.
Parts replaced as followed: Distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs/wires, EGR gasket, air intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, fuel injector kit (o-rings etc), fuel injector pigtails/harness, all new vacuum hoses, cold start injector pigtail/harness, oil/filter, air filter, pcv valve/grommet, various coolant hoses/coolant.
After doing all this and putting it back together, the engine light is no longer blinking but is now solid, I haven't ran the codes yet & I will get back to you on that today.
When I first started it up, overwhelmed with stoke that it started after doing all that work for I have never worked on an engine before, but the misfire was still there if not worse, I drove it around the block after operating temp and I got a sputter here n there, then all of a sudden the sputter got so bad it felt as if it was running on one cylinder, it couldn't drive faster than 5mph just dragging along trying to get it parked by my house again. It shuts off multiple times in my attempt to drive it only a couple hundred yards. It didn't do any of this before my service and now I think I have a blown head gasket, but not for certain because there isn't any leeks, steam, or white smoke. I decided to do a sea foam green cleanse, maybe bad timing on that, didn't make anything better... I'm going to run my codes today and clean my new spark plugs since the sea foam green.
Any tips and thoughts are much appreciated!
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Borhegyi; 08-25-2018 at 10:32 AM.