YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   87 to 89 22RE swap (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/87-89-22re-swap-290023/)

GeoRoss 07-21-2015 01:23 PM

87 to 89 22RE swap

I may have the chance to buy an 89 4Runner with a blown engine (has all parts, a failed rebuild) and terrible interior. This will come with the disassembled engine. The body looks ok+ in pictures.

At the same time I may be able to buy an 87 4Runner that is a running well, good ++ interior but has severe wheel well rot and maybe worse.

I may be able to get these both for about $3300. The idea is to swap engine and interior from the 87 into the 89. What are the things to consider on this? I know about the injector differences. Anything else?

The big downside on this right now is that the 89 doesn't have a super clean body and some panels are off color mismatch. I'm thinking drive rusty while I clean up the 89's body. Then power through the engine swap, then swap in interior pieces as time permits.

wyoming9 07-23-2015 01:26 PM

Your going to pay $3300.00 for two project vehicles .

Neither of which you can really drive.

Unless my idea of severe rot is much worse then yours

Perhaps I need to raise my price I was thinking about selling my 2 87 4Runners that both drive for $ 2000.00 for both.

To bad your so far away.

Just swap all the electronics and ECU with the running engine

Plus what ever cab harness modifications need done.

With out sitting down and looking at both EWD`s pretty hard to get all the differences.

Terrys87 07-23-2015 02:06 PM

I would move the interior over to the good body if it will match color wise. I currently am moving my 86 wiring over to my 88 and it is a big job and I can swap harnesses in my sleep. If it is your first time, there are several things that are nice to know but would take a book to write. If you have the space and time to do it, it can be done. Just will take alot of time. I do have some write ups that could help and my 86 build has a lot of pictures and info that could help.

You will need to move at least the main harness, injector harness and I am doing the head light harness just to be on the safe side.

GeoRoss 07-23-2015 09:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. The body donor deal fell through. The more I thought about it the more worried I became about the size of the project.

I may still get the rusty one and see what happens.

wyoming9 07-23-2015 11:25 PM

I thought you really did not have a problem with rust in the Southwest ??

Perhaps all the rain has changed that at least for the most you don`t have winter chemicals except in the mountains.

GeoRoss 07-24-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52282132)
I thought you really did not have a problem with rust in the Southwest ??

Perhaps all the rain has changed that at least for the most you don`t have winter chemicals except in the mountains.

We don't, as long you didn't spend your formative years elsewhere. :D

Mr Rusty wasn't raised in the desert SW. He was raised in Utah. :scared:

Every wheel well is rusted. Low in the fenders there are holes along their entire circumference. Paint bubbling half way up the panels. However, it runs well and has a really clean interior. Heck, the front seats have been fully recovered. I may buy the rusty one on that basis alone, if I can negotiate a better price. :lof:

Usually it isn't worth buying a vehicle this rusty here as you can find them rust free. I'm just being impatient and see a future for it as a parts truck. While we may be rust free, our plastic bits don't fare well.

osv 07-24-2015 01:02 PM

is that paint bubbling over the rear fenders? because if you are going to get serious with the truck, you'll have to chop the rear fenders out anyway.

the fronts can be replaced.

look at the windshield pillar on the passenger side, mine is showing cancer bubbling, it looks like a seam above it leaked.

GeoRoss 07-24-2015 01:17 PM

Sadly yes, the rear wheel wells are the worst. It would require cutting in new steel there. Because what is visible is so bad who knows what is lurking. That is why I think it would make a better parts vehicle here in AZ.

osv 07-24-2015 01:22 PM

by serious i meant that you would be going to open up the wheel wells for big tires, so you'd be chopping on it anyway.

even so, you are probably right, it's a dead end.

i looked at early 4runner prices in tucson recently, what i saw looked a bit higher than here in so cal, which doesn't really make sense.

GeoRoss 07-24-2015 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by osv (Post 52282218)
by serious i meant that you would be going to open up the wheel wells for big tires, so you'd be chopping on it anyway.

even so, you are probably right, it's a dead end.

i looked at early 4runner prices in tucson recently, what i saw looked a bit higher than here in so cal, which doesn't really make sense.

:lof: it is a perfect candidate for that!

I attribute our high prices to persistent heat stroke and permanent UV damage to brain cells.