YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   82 4x4 truck alternator wont charge battery (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/82-4x4-truck-alternator-wont-charge-battery-228173/)

rodney_stanley2003 01-22-2011 04:48 PM

82 4x4 truck alternator wont charge battery

I just replaced the batt and I took the alternator to auto zone and got them to test it for me, it was good. but still no charge. so now I think the wiring was messed up when I got the truck. what wires do I need running from the alternator and where do they go. any other ideas as to what may be going on? thanks for reading..

85gijunk4x4 01-22-2011 04:50 PM

bad grounds, corroded wires, bad battery, maybe something is draining your battery

flg8r22 01-22-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rodney_stanley2003 (Post 51642596)
I just replaced the batt and I took the alternator to auto zone and got them to test it for me, it was good. but still no charge. so now I think the wiring was messed up when I got the truck. what wires do I need running from the alternator and where do they go. any other ideas as to what may be going on? thanks for reading..

is this a gauge in your truck saying its not charging? or have you checked the charging system with a meter while the truck is running?

rodney_stanley2003 01-22-2011 06:19 PM

I know better than to trust a 29 year old dash light;) no its the fact that the truck wont start without a jump and i took the alternator off and got it tested and its good. but as far as testing it while its on the truck and running I havent done that because I dont have a meter to test it. what kind of meter do I need?

flg8r22 01-22-2011 06:43 PM

although the alternator passed the bench test, i would check at the battery with a multimeter. should be just over 14v with the system loaded or unloaded. other issues could also be the regulator or relay. or on a positive note, could be something as simple as a loose belt? wish i could help more but im not a mechanic, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night :)

swampfox 01-22-2011 07:39 PM

Have you checked the voltage regulator ?

rodney_stanley2003 01-27-2011 06:20 AM

so now it looks like I have a starting problem. I put on a new starter, tried another battery traced down all the grounds and when I turn the key all I get is a few clicks from the starter and clicks from under the dash. I tried running a hot wire to the starter and it made a winding and clicking and it sounded better but it still wouldnt turn over. what is going on with my truck?

wyoming9 01-29-2011 12:23 AM

How does one trace the grounds?? Just what does that tell you about the condition. This grounds were poor from new.

Every Toyota I come across I make new grounds running one to the steel of the engine block the other to the body cures many starting and charging issues

The wire coming off the Alternator B terminal going to the fuse block also has a habit of dieing from old age getting so brittle it no longer conducts electrons

When you replaced the starter maybe you have a poor connection on the wire to the solenoid and the coil does not energize .:camp2: