Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3rd gen fog light wiring connector-will universal plug fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen fog light wiring connector-will universal plug fit

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L V6 5vzfe SUPERCHARGED

It's about to be winter here in Northern Arizona, lots of snow, hail, and rain, and I'm putting fog lights in my truck. I have an SR5 model, which came with the factory fog light wires already ran, and it has punch out plastic covers for where the fog lights mount in the bumper, which is flippin' rad for the Noobster.

So, ostensibly, I don't need a wiring harness or relay. All I have to do is mount fog lights, attach the factory wire plug into the fog light, and I'm good to go???? I'm confused. Do the factory wires have a relay or whatever already installed? These kits say to wire the relay included with the fog lights up to the headlight wires and wire the relay to the battery. (I think I would want to wire it to the fuse box???)

My problem and question, first of all, is when I'm doing research on my Toyota, I don't know where to look to find the specifications of each little thing, like the #/name of the fog light plug on my truck. Sooo, when I go to buy fog lights which advertise having a 9005 connector, like these universal Hella Micro DE's, I have no idea if they will fit.

http://www.rallylights.com/all/light...ngle-lamp.html

Second, I run into a common problem when shopping for parts. I put my vehicle make model, etc. into the fields and it turns up that the part isn't supported by my truck. But most of these parts are universally adaptable and the damn description field of the ad says they are universal, so why the hell are they trying to confuse a noober. Grrr. So when I run into a set of seemingly quality lights like these:
Projector HID Xenon Fog Lights 10000K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Projector-HID-Xenon-Fog-Lights-10000K-Off-Road-Light-Custom-Mounting-Universal-/360623343663?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53f6d3882f

which seem rad, if the connector doesn't fit, I will just have to cut off both male and female connectors from 4Runner and lights, and hard wire them together with solder, correct?

I feel completely inadequate to do anything electrical. I'm a bookworm and research non-fiction writer, not an electrician. Man, I tell you what, I wish they taught electrical in school instead of most of the other useless crap.

Ok, so, if I'm wiring into the factory wires, I can ditch the relay? Groovy.

Answers will be worshiped, comments loved, especially if anyone has had experience with these Chinese supposed HID Xenon style lights.