Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3.0 won't idle after timing adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 won't idle after timing adjustment

Hello everyone,
I bought a 1994 pickup and was checking out a few things. I adjusted to timing (was advanced at around 25 degrees) set it back to around 15 degrees. Had jumper wire installed. Then adjusted to idle to 800 rpm's. Idled great in the driveway. Later on went on a drive and noticed i had no power going up a hill then it wouldn't idle at all. Seemed to run fine when rpm's were up. tried advancing the timing to where it was and playing with idle screw but it doesn't make a difference. i searched on here for some clues but i have had this truck for two months and haven't had any problems. Possible TPS, but can't believe it would go out that fast. Egr problem ? theres is the diaphragm on the front of the motor. most of the vacuum fitting were broke or clogged hard line so i took it out and plugged it up. checked for vacuum leaks and could find anything. No codes are flashing. stumped as to what could have happened in such a short amount of time. any help appreciated.

Last edited by oregonbatch; 04-29-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tonight i pulled out the idle adjustment screw and put a new O-ring on it. didn't help. It also smells like it is running really rich