YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   3.0 v-6 3vze turbo kit???? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/3-0-v-6-3vze-turbo-kit-231847/)

kdolla57 03-19-2011 03:12 AM

3.0 v-6 3vze turbo kit????

I have been looking for performance mods for my 3.0, but keep hitting dead ends. i am wanting to turbo charge it amongst other mods. Does anyone know where i can find this turbo kit or any other performance mods for my engine? It was rebuilt at 165k because i sunk it mud riding and snapped a piston rod in two. I want to say it has about 6 or 7k on it now.

WILLTHISIFSGOHIGHER 03-19-2011 03:20 AM

Hey man I dont know where you are but you might be better off with a different motor these 3-slows are just that. It almost seems like even if you did put a turbo on it you wouldnt even get that much performance. Im sure it would be better but Im not sure it would be worth it. I want to subscribe to this one cause hey Im with you on wanting the 3-slow to go more zoomie. Good luck!!!!:great:

kdolla57 03-19-2011 03:27 AM

hey man i appreciate the reply. I live on the coast of mississippi, by Biloxi. The truck has plenty of torque just as is. It will churp the tires in second gear. i have looked into putting a v8 in it, but i just rebuilt this engine and would like to leave it in it.

WILLTHISIFSGOHIGHER 03-19-2011 03:38 AM

Yea I hear ya, I asked where you were cause the stupid smog laws are killer her in cali. But you know what I wonder if the cost would be that much different from putting in a crate motor like a 350 small block or sumthin similar. You think about it and what do you think it would cost to do a turbo conversion I'm thinking like at least 2g's what do you think?

kdolla57 03-19-2011 05:38 AM

yeah, all those laws over there in cali are killer. As of right now MS has no laws about emissions or how high you can lift your vehicle or the size of tire you can run. But back to the turbo cost, that would be about right or maybe a little more. The engine swap could be done for pretty cheap if your a budget builder, but that is something I am not. Even tho a 350 would be more than enough, I couldn't stop at just a plain jane 350 . It would be pushing more horses than that truck drivetrain can handle and then I'd have to upgrade all that. So in my case, the turbo on the 3.0 is the cheapest route.

Team420 03-19-2011 06:41 AM

start with headers.... turbo is no use if the exhaust cant free flow outta the motor...

skypilot 03-19-2011 09:31 AM

I think the upper limit is 200hp before you break things. 3.0 is just not the way to go unless you have to have it.
I may be scapping mine and using a 350 detuned engine instead. I might even go for E85 carb rather than messing with expensive ECU systems.

tried4x2signN 03-19-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kdolla57 (Post 51684649)
I have been looking for performance mods for my 3.0, but keep hitting dead ends.

Usually that's a sign... Usually...

I could have elaborated on that subject a lot more, but I think a self-ban from nooby tech is a better idea.

MaK92-4RnR 03-19-2011 12:59 PM

Do not put any money into a 3.0. if you want more horsepower, swap it. headers, ISR mods, etc etc dont do anything. you want more power? change the gears

jpgordon24 03-22-2011 08:02 AM

3vze + turbo kit = kaboom! Im sure if you search around you will find how weak the head gaskets are on these motors and I could only imagine what boost would do to it... I say motor swap over boost. Or get a 3.4l and put a supercharger on it if you really want some reliable boost IMHO.

4x4yota87 09-20-2011 12:32 PM

I know this threads a few months old, but here's my .02.

Lc engineering sells mls head gaskets and a arp head stud kit. At that point the hg problem is a non issue.

A properly rebuilt short block can handle a couple pounds of boost. And theoretically at 7 psi you ad 50% more power. So something like 225hp, give or take.

For the turbo manifold, cheap way is to take advantage of the usually crappy crossover tube. In this case it routes the exhaust were you need it. And basically cap off the manifold where it usually exits, and cut a hole it the drivers side manifold and put the turbo on it. Like I said, CHEAP. Or you could buy the make your own header flanges from lc engineering and custom fab a set up.

Then you got the fuel system and ecu. Stock injectors are 200cc, and they are only good to 200hp. And the vam is pretty much a restriction at the stock level. I've read of people trying a 7mge vam, with so-so success. If you used the same size injectors the meter was set up for, might be possible to "tune" the motor with just a pressure regulator.

This is all kinda generic info, with a slight slant to the 3vze. There is a lot of details that would still need addressed. But it's been done. So yeah, my .02

skypilot 09-20-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by kdolla57 (Post 51684670)
yeah, all those laws over there in cali are killer. As of right now MS has no laws about emissions or how high you can lift your vehicle or the size of tire you can run. But back to the turbo cost, that would be about right or maybe a little more. The engine swap could be done for pretty cheap if your a budget builder, but that is something I am not. Even tho a 350 would be more than enough, I couldn't stop at just a plain jane 350 . It would be pushing more horses than that truck drivetrain can handle and then I'd have to upgrade all that. So in my case, the turbo on the 3.0 is the cheapest route.

Turbo's are not cheap, and they blow more often than you would like. Plus everything would be a custom part at premium prices.

Cheapest way is to swap in a better engine.
If you want that kind of power, you need a drag car not a little nimble off road truck.

blake.nemitz 09-20-2011 01:21 PM

ya swap in a 7mgte or a 2jz!!

4x4yota87 09-20-2011 01:31 PM

Cheap is a relative term, but yeah it can get pricey to do it right.

And turbos are generally very relaible. Usually they only blow when not done right.

I'd say the time for a 3vze turbo is when your going for a rebuild. Then buy the parts to stop the hg problem.

Nothing wrong with the motor swap. 7mgte is looking very tasty to me right now.