Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22ret swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it says theres one about 40 miles away but ive never been able to find it.can my stock fuel system and injectors handle running e85? couldnt i just get some race gas sence its only 9 a gallon when i want to run a all out tune?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

so new plan pull head open the chamber, port alot more say take it from the 170cfm it is now to 200ish, add new guides to let me run over .440 lift, reinstall head to make 9:1 with metal head gaskit,arp head studs,and reinstall stock exhaust manifold (non turbo) wait til i get the intercooler kit,mega squirt,water meth,gauges,adjustable fuel pressure regulator, wided band and most likely a 14g or 16g turbo if i can make them fit but if i cant would a t3/t4 turbo be enough cuz i know people have made them fit or a ct26?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM

ok so u sayig leave it 10.5:1 for now and go stand alone with intercooler ? and wided band and all the other ˟˟˟˟? how much power do u think itll push with the turbos uve said i know i only said 200+whp but it seems like i should beable to blow that out the water ? cuz thats my next hing if i do. lower the compression,port the head more, big turbo cam, bigger turbo, standalone ecu,intercooler injectors to feed it what ever size it my need, and water meth what a good guess power number? for all that money it should be way over 200ish shouldnt it?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM

td05 ? stock evo turbo ? 16g? but why not use a ct26 with the 16g compressor wheel snece itll bolt on easyer ?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 85celicagthatchback
it says theres one about 40 miles away but ive never been able to find it.can my stock fuel system and injectors handle running e85? couldnt i just get some race gas sence its only 9 a gallon when i want to run a all out tune?
E85 would be run all the time for less then the cost of pump gas. Race gas is a limited time deal due to how pricy it is. Never been a fan of race gas, might as well use meth injection and get the same performance except all the time.

so new plan pull head open the chamber, port alot more say take it from the 170cfm it is now to 200ish, add new guides to let me run over .440 lift, reinstall head to make 9:1 with metal head gaskit,arp head studs,and reinstall stock exhaust manifold (non turbo) wait til i get the intercooler kit,mega squirt,water meth,gauges,adjustable fuel pressure regulator, wided band and most likely a 14g or 16g turbo if i can make them fit but if i cant would a t3/t4 turbo be enough cuz i know people have made them fit or a ct26?
No, leave the engine alone, don't touch it except to possibly install cams if you want, that is a bolt on task though. Wait until something goes wrong to open it or you reach the limits of something.

ok so u sayig leave it 10.5:1 for now and go stand alone with intercooler ? and wided band and all the other ˟˟˟˟? how much power do u think itll push with the turbos uve said i know i only said 200+whp but it seems like i should beable to blow that out the water ? cuz thats my next hing if i do. lower the compression,port the head more, big turbo cam, bigger turbo, standalone ecu,intercooler injectors to feed it what ever size it my need, and water meth what a good guess power number? for all that money it should be way over 200ish shouldnt it?
Yes, leave the engine exactly as it is now, don't mess with anything internal until after you have it running good.

Intercooler will be a 100% must without water injection, with water injection it is still a darn good idea.

Wide band and all the other tuning electronics are a given.

How much power you make will be a matter of how much octane you have. With a good high quality (Aka, $600 kit with failsafe) meth injection kit, you should be able to easily surpass 200whp. How much power you make will depend on boost level and the tune.

For now though focus on all the bolt on parts, get the turbo setup running on the megasquirt and all the external parts. Just keep the boost at ~4-5psi until it is all setup and running.

Then after all of that is done see where you stand and you will be far better educated on where you want to go from there.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM

ok what about the part that i said about the turbo ? or are u talking about bolting on all the stock turbo stuff i have but leave my 10.5 compression?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

td05 ? stock evo turbo ? 16g? but why not use a ct26 with the 16g compressor wheel snece itll bolt on easyer ?
Because the CT-26 turbine sucks big time. Do you have a manifold for the CT-26? It uses a funky flange and if you use it you are stuck with it. A TDox turbo uses standards T28/T3 flanges that can be used with any other turbo of choice later.

Plus the TD series of turbos have WAY WAY WAY more flexability. They are cheaper, make more power and are just plain better.

MR2 guys regularly swap from CT-26's to TD06's since the TD06 can make about 200whp more then the stock turbos.

If you have the money then go for a high quality turbo like an S252 borg warner. Or even better an EFR if you have the big bucks. Those would make all kinds of power while spooling great.

The T3/T4 turbos work but the problem is the cheap ones are china throw away turbos. The more expensive ones are only slightly cheaper then a modern billet turbo and don't make much sense.

The TD0x turbos are the new T3/T4. They are cheap, plentiful, easy to rebuild, standardized so pretty much anybody can work with them and TONS of options for them.

For a budget turbo there is little better honestly.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

ok what about the part that i said about the turbo ? or are u talking about bolting on all the stock turbo stuff i have but leave my 10.5 compression?
Yes, do not remove your engine from the car or open it up. Only work on the external parts. Get the turbo setup fabbed up and installed, all the electronics/supports mods ect but leave the internals alone and instead spend that money on a quality meth injection kit.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM

i figured id run about 8-12 psi with 9:1 with inter cooler and mega squirt
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM

i have the stock ct20 truck turbo manifold which has the same style flang as a ct26 just smaller they sell adapters for my manifold to the t3 flange
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

i have the stock ct20 truck turbo manifold which has the same style flang as a ct26 just smaller they sell adapters for my manifold to the t3 flange
Yeah, just get the adapter in that case, you will have to fab up the exhaust either way since it is a custom install so it should not make it any harder unless the adapter causes clearance issues with the car.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Define knock prone please? One of the weakest engines out there to turbo is Nissan's KA24 boat anchor and people boost hardcore on stock lower decks. Saying an engine is knock prone is like saying they need gas to run... duhhhhhh. All engines will knock if not managed properly, its all in the tune and how well you can keep the motor from pinging. Ping chews rings and ringlands and cracks pistons and flat spots bearings. Yes... 22R isnt a honda motor (hence why its possibly the best engine ever built) but it still operates under the same parameters as any engine
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by s13drifter88
Define knock prone please? One of the weakest engines out there to turbo is Nissan's KA24 boat anchor and people boost hardcore on stock lower decks. Saying an engine is knock prone is like saying they need gas to run... duhhhhhh. All engines will knock if not managed properly, its all in the tune and how well you can keep the motor from pinging. Ping chews rings and ringlands and cracks pistons and flat spots bearings. Yes... 22R isnt a honda motor (hence why its possibly the best engine ever built) but it still operates under the same parameters as any engine
There are 100 things that can effect knock proness. While they all work on the same princeable there is a reason that a 5.0l V8 mustang engine from the 90's made a whopping 250-300hp and the same 5.0l now days makes 450hp.

A lot of that is making the engine less knock prone allowing for higher cylinder pressures and thus compression ratios and a more efficient combustion event.

Hondas have always flowed real good and been very efficient engines, toyota not so much.

Has nothing to do with how strong the engine is, it has to do with how likely it is to knock.

EVO's run 30psi on pump gas all the time without knock, MR2's can only dream of that, over 17psi on pump gas is considered risky.

Just one example of something that will make an engine more knock prone is reduced exhaust flow. Toyotas generally are more intake biased then hondas or mitsu engines, this has a big effect on how knock prone the engine is as just one example. Another is quench area and quench efficiency, this also plays a BIG role. Then you have swirl and homogenization and combustion chamber efficiency and valve flow biasing. There are literally 100 things that can effect it.

End point is that toyotas engines of old in particular were not exactly on the cutting edge of performance and as such can't do what some other engines can do.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 01-10-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM

But what youre saying is theyre knock prone engines and cant handle boost+high compression. Sounds like an old mitsu 420A argument from years ago. Thats b.s. (not trying to discredit you or be disrespectful) but ITS ALL IN THE TUNE! With fuel and proper management a high comp 22r can/will handle boost and the high comp will especially be great if E85 is available cause then he could run more timing advance. 91 octane sucks but you could run 87 with boost, just tune for mid 8's lol j/k. Back to the point though, high comp and boost is great. More torque, better throttle response and better boost response. My .02, keep your compression and enjoy your turbocharger. Megasquirt Im not much of a fan for but SDS is one of my favorite horses but Im a daughterboard (Nistune, Link, Hondata) and SDS fan myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Btw, I love your gun control signature. Pro 2ed right here
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

I never said it could not be done, look above, that is what I recommended he do.

What I said is that a more knock prone engine will not be able to run as much boost or make as much power. That IS fact. An MR2 can run high compression with boost but instead of being limited to 17psi on pump gas they can only run ~13psi before reaching the knock threshold and be down on power from the low compression engine.

Of course with E85 you can run high compression and high boost, did you read my earlier posts? Thats exactly what I said, it is all about your octane limits.

Adding more fuel is not the answer, it only goes so far, timing plays a much larger role in knock then fuel.

Which is where the water/meth injection comes in, gives the octane boost you need to get full usage out of a high compression build.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM

so does the 14g and 16g eclipse turbos use a t3 flang? they dont look much bigger then my turbo just saying
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought you and your pops have a shop and build tons of motors?

Wouldnt a celica forum better suit your needs?

Last edited by HighLux; 01-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Build a shortblock before you Turbo this thing.

All I see in your future is a hole in a block.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM

we smart ass but ive never done the turbo side of it and all the other parts its one thing to build an engine and its another to do a whole turbo set up on a car that never cam with it

Quick Reply: 22ret swap