Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re cylinder head will not even budge

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re cylinder head will not even budge

Hello, have a 1990 pickup 4x4 22re. I am doing the headgasket I have everything apart, intake and exhaust manifolds separated from engine. Have removed "hidden bolt" my Haynes manual mentioned it actually. #8 head stud broke 1/2 an inch below top of the hole. Well I can pry the rocker arm assembly at any other part. It will not BUDGE at the #8 one, I guess due to corrosion. I have heated and penetrated, pounded, pryed and prayed, Nothing, the front is up about 1/4 in. So I decided maybe I'll just try "cherry picking" the head itself, well somehow it WILL NOT BUDGE not even at the front where nothing should be in the way. I fear damage to head will ensue(already has) if I keep trying to persuade it. I have found similar threads but they seem to have made headway somehow, I have spent 17 hours so far, heating prying pounding, cherry picking, repeatedly, have used penetrant, carb cleaner, and "freeze out" and somehow the head itself seems welded to the block. Along with that one(1) rocker to head assembly there's just no give, I even broke a 800lb rated strap when I got angry and gave it a "little more". Anyone with insight into a completely stuck head welcome. Also it is only the head bolts and the timing cover to head bolt that hold the head down correct??? My haynes manual(garbage), and even the FSM I found online mentions nothing else holding the head to the block. Thank you in advance to any and all who have answers!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
How about a photo of the head bolt section you got out? They have a neck bulge, someyears and suppliers larger than others, that restricts the oil passage in the rocker assembly.

I assume you have the sprocket off the cam, if not that's going to cause a bind.

There are the two locating dowels in the block, located at the front and back in the center, so it needs to lift straight up for the most part. I don't recall any for the rocker assembly, but it will bind on the head bolts if not lifted "normal" ( straight ) from the head upper surface.

The rocker assembly needs to come off first, more so since you have the partial bolt there. Get the head level and free up the rocker first and you should be able to progress.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 PM

The bolt is broken just below that bulge part. I will try clamping the rocker assembly down to have it flush. Then try prying again. It would be nice if it was simply bound, but unlikely as that was my first thought, so I put the front two back in and started at that bolt. But I haven't tried that twice yet!! Good to know the front of the head won't really move unless the back is as well. Thats what started to freak me out. With how well rest of the gaskets were holding I could swear the last guy in here used some kinda allumaweld.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just a thought the coolant lines and EGR parts at the back of the head have been removed??

All the assorted bracket bolts going into the head ??

Studs on the manifolds hanging up on anything??

There is something more then one broken bolt holding this on since you tried with a cherry picker

Last edited by wyoming9; 04-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Took those hoses off at the back, I dont see how they would have interfered with anything. I put all the head bolts back in and tried from the start. The rocker assembly wiggled .05mm's more than before! So I guess it's just crazy siezed and will take a long long time to get this rocker assembly off, then I'll try on the head once I get this off. Thanks for the advise. It is in fact just one broken head bolt holding it together like it's welded. Guess I'll just keep bashing, prying, heating, freezing and 'cherry picking'. Maybe I'll post a total hours on here when I finally get it lol, I'm on hour 27 now.

Also carb cleaner seems it would have been a better idea to start with instead of penetrant, it really eats the corrosion and seems to be helping more than penetrant. Just watch out with the torch!!! An air impact would probably be nice addition as well.

​​​​​
Old 04-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Pictures of this project would be very interesting
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Progress

The rocker assembly now has a fingernail width between the head! Maybe this crazy Alberta weather is helping. With the gap started I sprayed CARB CLEANER! in that gap and I am working sludge out as I pry/wiggle and tap the assembly/bolt with a hammer/punch. It is very, very...very slowly coming up, I think/hope this is all that will be needed now, maybe another can or two of carb cleaner. Unfortunately snow and rain without a garage has stopped my progress for now. Sorry no pics I am internet illiterate. Baby steps, I barely figured out how to post this haha. Thanks for the interest I will update when the head is off and whether I broke it haha.