Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re bad gas mileage and bad throttle responce

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re bad gas mileage and bad throttle responce

please help.i have a 1986 4runner with 22re.ive ran out of ideas.it idles and runs good but has no throttle responce from about half throttle and up while driving.its also a stock truck on 31s and gets 14mpg. i had a 85 4runner with 22r and 33s and it got in the low 20s and had a butt load more power? i have got new plugs,wires,cap,button,fule filter,fule damper,and tps is set around .580 with efi shut.and i set timing with wire jumped.it has 150-160 compression. what can i do next? thank you
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Dirty fuel injectors?

If thats the case, this place might be able to help.

http://www.witchhunter.com/
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM

thanks alot man ill check it out
Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Possibly try some seafoam? who know, could do the trick.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:08 PM

i tryed a can of sea foam in the fule with about half a tank and also sprayed out the plenum with with tbi cleaner and its still the same. and it never threw a light.it really beats me
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compression check?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM

I'd check for vacuum leaks and possibly fuel leaks. Also, I've had trouble with the fuel damper on mine. I bought it with what appears to be an aftermarket damper. The crush washer caused a blockage. That doesn't happen on the OEM damper. My little illustration shows what my aftermarket (left) looked like compared to OEM (right).
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bako88; 03-23-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM

SoCal- the compression ranges between 150-160. i did that first thing.

Bako-yes i also had trouble with my fule damper it was also starting to leak fule .i cut it apart for fun and the diofram had holes all in it. but i put a brand new one in about 2 weeks ago. according to your photo it was an OEM damper..im thinkin about removeing fule injectors today and try to clean them but looks to be a royal pain.ima also double check for vacum leaks.like i say ive never got a check engein light so im guessing fule supply?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
TPS? My truck was doing something that SOUNDS similar, ..but please, tell us more...(scratches chin with interest), lol.

When my TPS was way out of adjustment, it would idle PERFECT, then as I'd get on it a lil bit, it would BAT OUT OF HELL at around 2000 RPM's.... and only in 1st and 2nd gear, for the most part.

PS> ^^ easy check vs. pulling the intake, etc., ....but the injectors might need a good once over by witchhunter, anyhow, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-24-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Chev... Pull your TPS connector off, just for S&G's, .... see if you still have the drop off the map throttle issue. Don't run it like that forEVER, lol... but to check is fine.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM

ok this is what i did today instead of pullin injectors i read my hanes book and it said a good method was to use a steahascope to listen to them and it past there simple test so i decided to pull the valve cover and adjust the valves.a little wishful thinking with no luck lol thank u very much for the help chefyoda.im going to try it here in a min and let u know the out come.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Right on. From what I THINK I remember, lol... When you pull the TPS, your idle SHOULD rise, fairly noticeably. Pulling the connector puts you back in open loop(like when it's warming up before the 02 Sensor jumps in, etc.... it's a pre-set pattern that the ECU runs on). So, SOMEtimes, not always, you can get an idea by pulling that if you at LEAST need to adjust the TPS(and heck, at least check it with a multi-meter and some feeler gauges, eh? lol) It can be a lil difficult to test it properly the first time,....definitely more difficult to 'set' it... but it's not that bad, in all honesty.

Hmmm, let us know, I'm curious.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 PM

ok i went out there unpluged it while it was running and the idle came up like u said. ohmed it useing the hanes book.fully open it calls for 3.3-10 ohms, i had 5.68 and the other way you test it with it shut calls for 4-9 ohms, i had 6.83?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM

if anything i can drive it with the responce it has.. but the 14mpg it getting to me cause i could drive the one i have with the 4.3L and 38s and get that lol i just know it cant be right.if any ideas what so ever please throw them out there id be more than willing to try anything just about
Old 03-24-2011, 05:04 PM

Hmmm, Well, the WOThrottle reading was off, right? So, it might need adjusting, but my interest was in whether it would allow the throttle to climb, unimpeded? Some readings being off, especially the IDL-E2 ones, are CRUCIAL. But again, it's just guesswork to say "that's probably it", ya know?

When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? That's another one. Also, I'm not sure if the damper or fuel pressure regulator having issues could cause the symptoms you're having, but it might be worth it to do a fuel pressure test(if you got the equip.... I don't, lol). There are other tests for the FPR but I don't think for the damper.

If the injectors are ticking away, then you could still have some that were either unresponsive under load AND/OR maybe leaking/dripping really badly inside. IOW, they are ALWAYS shooting fuel, and when they're not, they're leaking fuel through the fuel rail to the intake ports. Hmmm.

Have you multi-meter tested the AFM? That's another one that can starve performance when it's taking a dump! lol. Maybe it's not responding under load?

First things, always, and that would be fuel filter. Not sure how badly that would effect your mileage, but performance? heck yes. lol. I think the coolant temp sensor can cause some pretty decent problems, too. There's a simple test for that as well.

Heading out to see a flick.... I'll check in when I get back. Sorry man, I know it's frustrating to have these issues, TRUST ME! lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM

i put a brand new damper on it 2 weeks ago a OEM. and a fule filter ,plugs,wires,cap and button 3 weeks ago.ive also checked timing.im kinda thinkin injectors like you say.temp gauge seems to have been working normal so do u think maby thats an issue?and what exactly is an AFM?if u dont mind me asking.i dont have anything off hand to check fule pressure but i bet i can find one to use tom afternoon. lol.ill try it.now my best question is maby i missunderstand my readings.? they seemed to fall right in the middle of what they called for?right? should i go up or down with them?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM

I thought readings between what's called for is good.

AFM is what registers air flow into the intake. It's right after the Air filter.

Don't forget the cold start injector. Sometimes I wonder if mine is leaking, but I'm not willing to take time to test it. I'm averaging 18mpg.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM

OMGOSH, I just lost my whole post here, GRRRRRRR!

OK, LOL................

You should start a good Process Of Elimination(POE) and a Suspect list. So, so far we have;
Replaced or Verified as good;

1. Fuel Filter
2. Fuel Damper
3. Injectors(seem to fire fine under stethoscope)
4. Plugs & Wires
5. Cap & Rotor
6. Compression(150-160 Cross the Board)
7. TPS(Reading within limits, fine... Also idles up when disconnected)

I might have lost something that I'd typed, but it WILL come back to me, trust me. Next, you make a list of Suspects, or Plan of Attack, right? Look through the Haynes Troubleshooting section(WEAK, but often useful for actual directions of labor)... And Factory Service Manual(FSM; They're all OVER this site... I should have one in my Sig, I Don't, sorry, lol)

Before that list,.....YES, MY BAD< ...I did misread your post. Got it, and corrected in the POE List, right? >>(TPS WORKING, fairly certain)

Ok, so a list of "More Suspects"... That has to start with the "COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR"... This is NOT related so much to coolant temperature, when it malfunctions. Rather, it's related to 'RUNNING LIKE CRAPITUS when it "MISREADS the Coolant Temps"... This can wreak HAVOC, buddy... trust me. Mine went bad and I had issues. So look for it in your Haynes, Chapter 4-Fuel Section(Read through the Beginning, too, there are many tips in there and descriptions of what those parts are in the EFI and EFI-Sensor system, and the CTSensor is one of them, k?

So;
Things to rule out;

1. Coolant Temperature Sensor
2. Fuel Pressure
3. Vacuum Leaks(You'd have to have a pretty big one for this kind of power loss.... but anything's possible, and even a DECENT leak could cause serious mileage issues(Because it's "Um-metered Air" coming into the system, ya see? Computer Sees "MORE AIR", ..... Computer adds "MORE FUEL" to compensate.
4. ETC., ETC., OK?

But trust me, VERY important you stay organized as you go through all this. DON'T Want to backtrack, ya know? Plus, to be honest, you'll get MORE PEEPS, peepin out this thread and sticking around, because they don't have to fish for "what's the problem, where's he at, etc.", make sense?

The Air Flow Meter is VERY important to proper EFI function, especially the "Air Fuel Mixture". If it wont open, etc., it can DEFINITELY wreak havoc! So, go to this site, BOOKMARK HIS MAIN PAGE, and look to it as part of the "toyota Biblical Documents"... no blaspheming intended, lol. Just that he's GREAT and very simple to understand.......

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml

I'm watching, post back with your AFM and CTS readings, k?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM

ok fellers this is what ive found so far the "good" AMF all readings passed. cold start injector and timing both passed. temp sending unit passed. now i was doing this all by my hanes book and whats been said so far and i have found one item that FAILED.-the VSV = Vacume Switching Valve located on top center of the valve cover..and another strange stupid thing i discovered was the what i beleave is the "idle screw"? was backed all the way out and it was pulling a little bit of air around it. i tighted it and idled it down extreamly low.i guess before avg idle was bout 900rpm now i got it around 500-600.i wonder if the little bit of extra air it was pulling could effect my mileage? and also i wonder what the VSV effects?ima go back out there and sniff around some more.thanks a millon for the help!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM

im great with carbs but am clueless with EFI lol but its makeing alot more since now

Quick Reply: 22re bad gas mileage and bad throttle responce