Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22r carb throttle linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r carb throttle linkage

I think the throttle linkage on my stock 22r aisin carb may be assembled wrong, or missing pieces. I just recently rebuilt it, and got it from not working at all, to the two butterfly valves on the bottom operating. I am having difficulty with the top valves though. Have a few questions:
Are the two top valves supposed to open and close simultaneously, or do they operate on their own?
It's an electric choke, so if it is not plugged in, is the choke valve supposed to be closed, or will it remain open a little? Mine is open, and can be easily pushed to the closed position with one finger. When I move the linkage assembly, it moves just slightly, should it be moving a little, or should it rotate to a fully open postion, to a fully closed?
The other valve, does nothing when the linkage is moved. I can pull it open with my finger, but it will not fully close, nor will it go to a 90 degree open position...
Finally, can someone post a picture of their throttle linkage, a side view, and a top down view?

All help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:22 AM

My two top valves operate on their own. As far as the choke valve, mine is also open. I also rebuilt my stock carb but it just didn't perform as well as I was expecting so I just ended up getting the Weber 32/36 and now all is well. I still have to crank the engine a few times to get it started when cold but after that it runs great! I think the $300 for the Weber was well worth it and recommend it if you don't want to keep messing with your Aisin.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

By the way, mine is on an 83 4x4 with 22R all stock except for the Weber and some smog equip removed.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM

Looks like I'll be going the new carburetor route. When I was taking out the tiny screws for the butterfly valves, the heads seperated from the body of the screws! Upgrading to Weber it is!