Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1994 3slow 4runner destroying my bank account and will to live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 3slow 4runner destroying my bank account and will to live

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 automatic 4x4 that is evil. I bought it from a guy a few months ago knowing the head gasket was bad. Drove it till it exploded and tore the engine apart to discover it was ˟˟˟˟ed. So I bought a rebuilt engine and installed it. I also installed a new maf, radiator,power steering pump. Fired it up and emediatley had vacuum problems....it has very poor power at low speed and it feels like it’s shifting really late. My rpms will redline before second or third. It can’t climb hill and has no torque. So I went through the vacuum diagram and made sure they were all good. Still ˟˟˟˟. It drinks gas and smell like it’s running super rich. So I decided to take the intake off again and make sure it was really sealed. Also pulled all the plugs and they were carbon fowled...the egr that I had cleaned was super dirty...did a compression check and was low in all cylinders 125 across the board...literally not more than a pound difference between any cylinders. I’m at a loss....I’ve been ˟˟˟˟ing with this thing for 3 months and I’ve spent so much I can’t just sell it off. Please share some wisdom thanks
Old 01-28-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some times the best thing is to just walk away for some time.

Get another set of eyes on the problem we can all miss things some times so simple .

It can take time to get things worked out
Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
kinda with wyoming9 here it's best to take a small break then come back at it swinging. Keep in mind your 5 basics: 1-fuel, 2-air, 3-Combustion, 4-timing, 5-spark. there is so many things it could be. But used the best educated guess. perfect example is a combustion test which you already did. you can check timing and fuel pressure and try a new oxygen sensor. if your finding it to be to rich, after that i would check injectors or valve clearance.