YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   1989 Toyota Pickup (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/1989-toyota-pickup-301771/)

Mont Ray Udy 09-11-2017 06:14 PM

1989 Toyota Pickup

I just bought a 1989 Toyota pick-up (Had a 2002 Jeep Liberty die, Done with Jeep). It is in great shape and I decided since I am about done with school, instead of buying a new vehicle, I am going to keep this truck and put a few thousand into it to make it a prime running vehicle. What are some tune ups to make it run better, and what are some performance mods to start with? It is a 4x4 with 176k on it. Am I being too hasty? I really love this thing and plan on keeping it as a daily runner for a few years, and I want something that will handle some outdoor adventures very well.

wyoming9 09-11-2017 11:13 PM

You might want to tell us just what engine and transmission you have.

Read read and read some more lots of good threads on here look for a copy the factory service manual

To hasty perhaps do you have any history of the truck??

Just how much of this work can you do yourself that is the important question .

I always start at the ground and work up tires, brakes, suspension and steering parts there are always areas that were neglected .

Rather then performance maybe shoot for more reliable and trouble free

RAD4Runner 09-12-2017 09:14 AM

P.O. I strongly recommend you put engine, transmission, trim AND whatever's not standard with your truck in your signature.
I will save people time asking you what they are and waiting for you to reply each time you ask for help with your vehicle.

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52376810)
You might want to tell us just what engine and transmission you have.

Read read and read some more lots of good threads on here look for a copy the factory service manual

To hasty perhaps do you have any history of the truck??

Just how much of this work can you do yourself that is the important question .

I always start at the ground and work up tires, brakes, suspension and steering parts there are always areas that were neglected .

Rather then performance maybe shoot for more reliable and trouble free

Second that^^^

What's the point of a vehicle that performs so well over difficult terrain, it will get you there but not bring you safely home?

MissAnthropy13 05-15-2018 06:44 AM

Good morning, fellow Yota owners.
I recently purchased an 89 Pickup 5 speed, stocked, no performance parts whatsoever. I am the 3rd owner. I recently pulled the motor and had it rebuilt, running good.
My question: I would like to upgrade my suspension. I'm not going to off-road it. It is my daily driver. I plan to keep it stocked. I would just like a smoother ride. Any suggestions on suspension upgrade kits?

MissAnthropy13 05-15-2018 06:55 AM

I forgot to state that it is a DLX, 22RE, 2WD

wyoming9 05-15-2018 11:32 PM

Will it ever be used as a Truck or just a car with a big open trunk ??

Trucks are made to haul weight around when empty they do tend to ride rougher then cars

Now if the shocks and rear springs are worn they can be replaced .

You can soften the ride by custom tuning the rear springs at the loss of cargo weight capacity .

If you still need the truck to be a truck some weight in the bed 300 -400 pounds will help

MissAnthropy13 05-16-2018 04:46 AM

It will be used as a car with a big open trunk. The previous owner, recently, replaced the front and rear shocks. But, I'm pretty sure, he installed "economic" type shocks.

thefishguy77 05-17-2018 03:14 PM

You can try new shocks but unless you spend some coin your probably going to get a negligible change. Try throwing a few hundred pounds, not a body, back there. See if that gives you the ride quality you want and still maintains your milage and drive-ability.

MissAnthropy13 05-17-2018 05:12 PM

I'll do that. Thank you for the advice. I was debating if I should buy a tool box, think I will.

thefishguy77 05-17-2018 08:07 PM

Thats a good excuse. Win Win!!