Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1987 22r Toyota Pickup 4×4 5-Speed sometimes doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 22r Toyota Pickup 4×4 5-Speed sometimes doesn't start

Alright, I'm pretty new to this site and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my truck. Sometimes it doesn't start at all and it'll give me a single click with the turn of the key. It's seemingly random. Not long ago, I replaced the starter and have since had the current one checked. It works. I've replaced the starter cable and the positive and negative battery terminals. I thought that something was draining the battery but I let it sit over night and this morning it started several times in a row. Then, later today I climbed in to go for a ride and it didn't start again. It would have the singular click. My guess is the ignition but I'm not sure how to test. Looking for any possible or even more plausible ideas Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You might want to check your ground to the block

Just what type of battery terminals did you use??

Then check your starter relay

If you don`t have a Multi Meter it might be time to get one
Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

First, start with the basics.

Check all battery and starter connections, both on the positive and negative sides of the circuit. I know you said you replaced the cables but it does not hurt to double check the connections! This includes the battery posts, the positive terminal and cable going to the starter, the ground cable going from the engine block to the negative side of the battery, and the body ground going from the inside of the fender to the negative side of the battery. You will want all connections to be bare, shiny metal contacting bare, shiny metal for good electrical connections. Get rid of any corrosion found!

If all of the above connections are clean and you still have a no-crank problem, check out RAD4Runner's post on how the starting system works.

RAD4Runner's wiring modification mentioned in the post is not 100% necessary to get the Truck working again, but will help prevent premature failure of components in the future and is definitely recommended if you are inclined to do so.