Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1986 Pickup/1999 4runner Parts Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Pickup/1999 4runner Parts Compatibility

Hello All,

I have been a long time lurker on the site and am an auto repair newbie. Two years ago, my 99 4runner (4wd/2.7L/Auto/235k Mi.) lost oil pressure and I decided to park it and purchase a 22RE pickup. I found an 86 SR5 Pickup (4x4/EFI/Manual) with only 160k miles and have been enjoying driving it daily since, diagnosing and fixing any small issues I have had with it (Converting AC, replacing belts, cleaning grounds, etc). Well I finally have come around to the idea that I am not going to invest in fixing the 4runner, and wanted to part it out and scrap it over the next couple of weeks. She's essentially been used exclusively as housing for angry bees over the past two+ years.

I was wondering, would there be any parts that I could hang on to that would be usable in my pickup? With the different engine and the body style being so different, I know any list of parts would be minimal, but wanted to ask the knowledgable folks here if I should save and store anything for future use before listing it for parts. I'll definitely be grabbing the aftermarket stereo, roof racks, badges and maybe the seats, but am unsure of any important parts that could be of use. I'd love to get as much out of the old girl as possible before dropping her in the recycling bin.

Thanks in advance,
-HisDudeness

Edits: Fixed typos

Last edited by HisDudeness; 06-18-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
3rd gen 4runners didn't share a platform with pickups (Tacoma's) by that point so not much cross compatibility. The 99 wheels might fit your truck, but don't quote me on that, I just know that the BCD's the same. Backspacing could be an issue. Seats won't be direct bolt-on, but can be made to fit if you found them very comfortable.