Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

02 Tacoma Help W/ tires & lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Tacoma Help W/ tires & lift

okay guys i recently bought a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 quad cab. and it's due for a new set of tires. what i'm after is a nice tire to go offroad a dozen times a year. i travel to pismo dunes, dumont and glamis quite often. this is the only offroading i do.

so the million dollar question here is. what is the biggest tire i can run without having to regear. i don't want huge tires. just something nice looking that will serve me well when i go offroad. i was thinking about maybe going with some 265/75/r16 but don't know if i really want to sacrifice any power or gas mileage. also i would like to lift truck some. how big of a lift do i need to buy to run these tires. thanks guys in advance. any picture with a describtion would be nice. thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome.

265/75R16 will not noticabley effect your milage. Infact I put my old 265/75s on my wifes Qcab Taco with no lift at all and the only noticable diff is that the front tires rub slightly on the frame at full turn and a slight incline. If it had 2 inch of lift I am sure that would not be an issue either.

You will here all kinds of opinions on which tires are better for what. I have had good luck with BFG ATs and would suggest them to anyone. Some guys here feel that the Bridgestone AT Revos are the bomb also. The tire brand is totally your call in the end.

I would not go crazy if you do not intend to do a lot of off roading. If you did a Taco leveling kit which is just a spacer for the front and the 265/75s I think from what you have told us that you would be happy.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/kt09105.jpg

which is at this site for an example of what I am talking about
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoma.htm
Old 05-15-2006, 02:09 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out www.ttora.com for more Taco info
Old 05-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

You have 4.30 gears in your taco so going to 33" tires will not make a noticeable difference under 50mph. You'd also see about a 1-2mpg decrease after going to 33's but that kinda depends on your tread pattern too.

And if you're just going to hit the dunes, coilovers up front and 8-leaf deavers w/10"+ travel shocks will make a world of difference on the sand.

If you go to 33's prepare to do a body lift or break out your BFH to reshape your wheel wells
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM

thanks guys for your input. i really appreciate it. surprisingly i thought i was going to get flamed due to a topic that probably has been beat to death.

what do you guys think about if i did a 1.5 leveling kit and matched with 265/70/R16 tires. do you think it would look funny? i'd like to get maybe a picture of someone with this. i think this would work great for me plus easier on the pocket book. thanks guys again.

Rene'
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bakotoy
thanks guys for your input. i really appreciate it. surprisingly i thought i was going to get flamed due to a topic that probably has been beat to death.
And yet you still posted??? Just kidding.

If you are indeed posting in the newbie section asking a question that's been asked before, it's usually okay. This site is far friendlier than most.

I do however encourage you to use the search button for lots of your questions, because there sure is a lot of info on this site archived.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:53 AM

yeap i did
seems like just about any forum you go to people do this(flame) newbies. it's like people think they earn seniority because they have been here longer and think they know everything a newbie would ask. so this gives all of them a right to flame away. funny! i took my chances. it's life (a gamble)
Old 05-16-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared
And yet you still posted??? Just kidding.

If you are indeed posting in the newbie section asking a question that's been asked before, it's usually okay. This site is far friendlier than most.

I do however encourage you to use the search button for lots of your questions, because there sure is a lot of info on this site archived.
jared,

it was moved to the newbie section after he posted in the main subforum. but yes, baktoy, definitely use the search feature and check out the tech as well asa the community forum for ideas. the thing about our forum is that you will get flamed not for asking newbie questions, but feigning ignorance and or claiming that "youve searched for hours and i can't find anything on the deckplate mod" (for example). there are just some topics that everyone knows that has pages of thread results

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 05-16-2006 at 11:03 AM.