Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

00 2.7L Exhaust leak & Loss of power - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RESOLVED*** 00 2.7L Exhaust leak & Loss of power - HELP!

Hello all,

I recently bought my second Tacoma and started dealing with fixing all the rust issues, rusted out rockers that I fixed with boatsides.
It seemed to drive just fine, I knew it had a small exhaust leak somewhere but it didn't seem to effect the power. Not that it had any power to begin with pushing 33s!
Anyway, last week I was pushing it a little hard trying to make it to a furniture show on time, I was loaded down with stuff to sell so that didn't help either.
Other the past week or so it begin to lose more power and get louder...it started to sound like my WRX, hissing and blowing.
I just replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, 2 collector gaskets, the donut gasket at the cat and the two EGR gaskets, intake and exhaust.
Now the damn thing sounds like it has a rice burner exhaust under the hood...low deep burring noise and hardly any power. I am at a loss and do not have time to fiddle with diagnosing the issue.
The main hissing of the leak is gone but some issue still remains. I had the O2 sensor cel previously P020 or something like that. I do not have it any more since I reset the ECU but Im sure it will come back soon.

Any and all thoughts, comments, concerns, ideas, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doc

***In an attempt to figure out the issues I started at the end of the exhaust and worked my way towards the motor; not sure why this made sense but it did at the time. I discovered that my catalytic converter honeycomb had broken up (prob over the years) and blocked the exhaust from escaping. This was causing back pressure in the motor but the leaky exhaust manifold gasket was allowing the pressure to escape. Once I replaced the gaskets and tightened everything up the back pressure had nowhere to go thus bogging down the motor. Not sure how bad the damage could have been but I didn't drive it in that condition. Not sure if this will help anyone else but I figured I'd post up my solution to the problem.***

Last edited by docmurphy; 06-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Trying to save some money and not have a shop diagnose.

Thanks!!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Not sure how this was resolved with gaskets if the potential problem (the cat converter) was not replaced. If you don't live in a county that requires emissions testing, there are 'options'. If your code comes back as p0420, it's fixable. If you want to prolong the life of the converter, you should replace the pre-cat sensor, if your engine has such.