03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

VSC TRAC lights on, no codes come up

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC TRAC lights on, no codes come up

I started my truck one day and the check engine light came on along with the vsc trac lights came on. Found a rat chewed some wires, and took it to the dealer. The diognosis pulled up a P0020 code, camshaft position sensor malfunction. There were two chewed through wires coming from the sensor to back this up. Well instead of paying them $600 to replace some wires, I fixed them myself. This cleared the check engine light and the vsc trac lights. Now when I start my truck, everything seems ok till I put it in drive or reverse and drive a foot or two, then the VSC TRAC lights appear and stay on, but no check engine light comes on. Pushing the diff lock button doesnt clear it. I hooked up an obdII reader and get no codes back. I have a 2004 4runner sport. Any suggestions? Also, when I'm in 4Hi and push the diff lock button, it works, but as soon as i put it in drive and move a foot or two the, vsc trac off light comes on. Would tires with real low tread possibly cause this?

Last edited by passitoverhere44; 08-09-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:43 AM

I have a 04 runner myself and had the Same problem. Did some research and I kept getting to check the gas cap to see if it was closed tightly, which was not the best answer in my situation. So then after taking my truck into Toyota they said it was one of the four Oxygen sensors gone bad, got that replaced and the light was gone for about 3 weeks,then once again the light appeared. I brought her in and after hours of waiting they told me they were sure it was the whole cat. , so luckily warranty covered that. To this day I havent had that light and its been about 4 months and also drove her to Mexico and back =D. Hope this helps a little
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mendez25
I have a 04 runner myself and had the Same problem. Did some research and I kept getting to check the gas cap to see if it was closed tightly, which was not the best answer in my situation. So then after taking my truck into Toyota they said it was one of the four Oxygen sensors gone bad, got that replaced and the light was gone for about 3 weeks,then once again the light appeared. I brought her in and after hours of waiting they told me they were sure it was the whole cat. , so luckily warranty covered that. To this day I havent had that light and its been about 4 months and also drove her to Mexico and back =D. Hope this helps a little
Ive had the cat replaced a few years ago because of the recall, and don't forget that I am not getting any codes coming back from a OBDII scan.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Got the new tires on. Look and feel great. Lights still on. Noticed when I slow down, one tire has a wobble. When I got home I checked all four tires, tugging on them. I found the passenger front tire has some give and makes a clunk when I grab the top and wiggle it. Any guesses? I think maybe a bearing.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:35 AM

OK. I just got done with basically the same problem. VSC and TRAC OFF along with the ABS lights came on. Battery was getting ready to crap the bed, and local guru's suggest that this might be the cause of the fault. NO CODES thrown by the OBDII.

Replaced the battery and lights stayed on, even after a week and a half of restarts.
So... I figure this must be something simple, right? All of the wheel sensors appear to be OK. Wires are as new! I notice that the ABS System has relays and fuses up the arse in the relay panel, so I meticulously un-plug and re-plug all the relays and fuses associated with ABS. Hop in the car, fire it up. SHAZZAM!!! No lights. So I figure if this was a wheel sensor connection, it will probably show up again soon. If it was just a poor connection in the relay panel, then I may not see it ever again.

Old school prodding and poking maybe just saved me a $400 trip to the dealer!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 PM

I'm trying to revive a dead thread, but I had a similar experience with TRAC light staying on. I read this thread and was ready to go to battle in trying fix the issue!! Luckily, in my case it was just the gas cap not being tightened all the way upon last fill up (thnx wifey!!). I learned a valuable lesson, always check for the simplest explaination first, then take from there!!
I'm NOT trying to revive a dead thread>>>
Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

gofast- welcom to YT! Glad you got your issue settled. No worries about bringing back a dead thread...if it was 5 years old maybe but not this one
Old 09-05-2009, 05:23 AM

I've noticed the same phenomenon, I submitted a post in this URL:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...d-help-186991/

Its not a dead thread for me, I'm trying to charge head on. Bmackey, what fuses did you pull, i'm willing to give it a try too!

Last edited by drfeelgood824; 09-05-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 AM

Good luck on your endevour!! The only thing I can suggest is try the simplest solution first. Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Just to clarify gofast, Ive done my research and read through all the threads i can find before i started this one and none helped solve my problem. Thanks for the suggestion drfeelgood, the recalibration makes sense, and is one i have'nt tried yet. Ill see if it works.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Thank you very much for the link drfeelgood. I checked it out and followed the instructions. It worked first try and cost me nothing. You saved me from getting ripped off at the dealership, which was my next option. I really apperciate all of you taking the time to reply.
Joe
Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 PM

After seeing several references to the yaw-rate calibration problem, I used my AutoEnginuity OBDII (which I believe caused the problem in the first place) to recalibrate. It had a built in function to do the recalibration. I had not seen any codes before this, but this time it did show a code that the software said was related to the yaw rate calibration data having been cleared. So that confirmed that I needed to reset the calibration.

I connected (it auto-detected CAN), went to the ABS/TCS system, OnBoard Tests, and chose the yaw rate calibration.

Made sure steering wheel was straight ahead and I was in my garage, which is as level as I can hope to find.

Turned engine off based on instructions in ScanTool (AutoEnginuity's OBD2 sofftware) and ran the calibration. The only message was that the test was not supported, but it must have done something because the VSC TRAC and ABS lights started blinking rapidly.

Restarted the engine and the lights were off. I drove around a bit to make sure they stayed off - they did.

Disconnected my OBD2 and then reconfirmed that the lights stayed off even while driving.

I think my OBD2 caused this accidentally. I saw another reference to OBDs causing this problem in another thread. Is this my truck's way of telling me to leave it TF alone?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 PM

deleted

Last edited by petrolero; 03-13-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: duplicate