03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

New Suspension Setup - Donahoe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Suspension Setup - Donahoe Questions

I started the process yesterday with Demello.

I have a 2006 V8 Limited, and I'm putting Donahoes up front, and Deaver springs in the rear. Can I do 3" of lift in the front no problem? Any reason I wouldn't want to? Do the Donahoes run better at 2.5 - or will I have CV boot problems?

Also... I have heard around that the Donahoes are not all-weather coated. I am planning an Alaska trip and go up to the snow once in a while. Am I going to ruin my Donahoes?

I can get Deaver to make the springs any length/rate I prefer - do you think I am better off getting these (2.5 inches longer than stock and 30% firmer?) and Bilstien 7100s

or OME shocks and springs in the rear?

I am not really going to be flying over sand dunes... this is more of an expedition vehicle... highway, and varied offroad terrain from desert roads to Alaska trails. But since I live in CA the desert will be a major attraction.

Thanks for the feedback. I just want to be sure not to make a major mi$take.

Thanks,

Mike

K6UK
Old 04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

1. Donahoe Coilover up front no problem. Any front suspension w/ 3-3.5" no problem actually.
2. Should be fine in Alaska I think? For more details please contact Donahoe Racing directly 714.632.3033 or email them.
3. Have you thought about OME shock/coils? Lots of users with great success. (895 rear coil with N141(Soft) or N142(Firm) shocks - you decide.)

Since you're considering expedition, OME's will be a great choice for you since down under (Australia) that's all they do! Their kit is tuned for expedition stuff so that'll be the easiest and your best bet.

Sample:
Medium Duty Coils (front/rear) 884/895
Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 885/896
Extra Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 886/897

Shocks:
Front - N140S
Rear - N141(Soft), N142(Firm)

Example lift measurement:
OME Mediums 884 front / 895 rear / N140S frontshock / N142 rr shock = 3" lift front / 2.75" rear

Personally speaking, if you're not planning to do some major high speed stuff coilovers are just bling. If you want the ability to tune your front end then coilovers will help but for the most part I think it's not well suited for everyone. I feel that people just buy it because it's the top of the line and expect the it works for everything but not necessarily. If you have the $ and can afford it by all means I highly recommend Donahoe's coilover over any other coilovers in the market right now for the 4th gen 4runner (present time in comparison to other coilovers readily available).

Not sure about the 7100's either though... Since they're eye/eye meaning you'll need to get an adapter to use them which means smaller shock ultimately (You lose 2" approx from the adapter alone). I've got the 7100's on my 4runner but I've done some extensive modifying to make them work well and I'm not sure if everyone will follow this path.

I would personally recommend OME's all the way around for an expedition vehicle. I think it's better suited for that style of offroading. It's rather inexpensive and easy to install and hardly no maintenance. Visit Slee Offroad (www.sleeoffroad.com) or contact them at 1-888-4x4slee for more information. If you do go this route, make sure you get the top plate reassembled so the installation will be even easier.

You can have Demello Offroad do the OME installation as it's just as easy as installing the Donahoe Coilovers.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM

>>>Personally speaking, if you're not planning to do some major high speed stuff coilovers are just bling. If you want the ability to tune your front end then coilovers will help but for the most part I think it's not well suited for everyone. I feel that people just buy it because it's the top of the line and expect the it works for everything but not necessarily. If you have the $ and can afford it by all means I highly recommend Donahoe's coilover over any other coilovers in the market right now for the 4th gen 4runner (present time in comparison to other coilovers readily available).<<<

I have to disagree with this. I take off a couple sets of OME a year and people always say the same thing. It rode fine when it was new but wow what a differnce the coil overs make. The coil overs are not just for off road they are also for on road! where 90% of us spend our time.

Bling is a billet shift knob, pretty stickers or some fancy new mud flaps. Donahoe coil overs or any coil over provide way more function than bling. you can rebuild Donahoe's over and over for many years of use or you can replace the stock shocks with OME or factory ones. Donahoe charges 40.00 for a rebuild. I don't think you can do a factory strut for that.

I'm not saying the OME's or any other shock out there is bad. it's all about what you want out of it. If you want a awesome ride on and off road and you can aford it then coil overs are the best way to go! If you want to save a buck then spacers or some replacement coils will work just fine!

>>>Not sure about the 7100's either though... Since they're eye/eye meaning you'll need to get an adapter to use them which means smaller shock ultimately (You lose 2" approx from the adapter alone). I've got the 7100's on my 4runner but I've done some extensive modifying to make them work well and I'm not sure if everyone will follow this path.<<<

We use 10in short bodies with a stem to eye conversion. it works well doesn't bottom out and the stem to eye conversion is 35.00

It all breaks down to how well you want the truck to work and what you can afford.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JDeMello
I'm not saying the OME's or any other shock out there is bad. it's all about what you want out of it. If you want a awesome ride on and off road and you can aford it then coil overs are the best way to go! If you want to save a buck then spacers or some replacement coils will work just fine!

It all breaks down to how well you want the truck to work and what you can afford.
Exactly!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Went for the Donahoe Solution!

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Donahoe/Deaver/7100s this morning.
Will post a detailed report after the install!

Thanks for the help Lance and Jason!

-Mike
K6UK
Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM

sounds like a nice setup, looking forward to your review on it.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:18 PM

How much lift can you get with Donahoe?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:22 PM

i think it's 3" with the shock alone, no spacers.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:26 PM

Yep! Looking forward to your review and some pics
Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 AM

How do the Donahoe's compare to the Sway-away Racerunner ciolovers???

I have a 97 4Runner wanting to lift about 3" all around!! be thinking to go the coilover route!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97Limited
How do the Donahoe's compare to the Sway-away Racerunner ciolovers???

I have a 97 4Runner wanting to lift about 3" all around!! be thinking to go the coilover route!!

Thanks in advance!!
I don't have DR but have SAW's. Supposedly, the DR's are built better. They're also at least $100 more.

Echamberlain (I think this is his name) had DR's on his Taco but has SAW's on his 3rd gen runner. We PM'd each other on the benefits/drawbacks of the DR's vs. the SAW's. He feels that the quality of the DR's are better than the SAW's.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks ebelen1;

Is it still better to go with the 'OEM' lift that SS sells for the front or maybe the Coilover way???
Old 04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97Limited
Thanks ebelen1;

Is it still better to go with the 'OEM' lift that SS sells for the front or maybe the Coilover way???
It really depends on who you ask. I won't chime in as both have their positives and negatives. It just really depends on what you want.

There are a few threads on asking about the OEM lift vs. the OME lift but I haven't seen one on coilovers except this one. If you buy coilovers new, that setup will cost you more than the OEM lift...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

How did I miss this thread. Good stuff.

Yes I would buy Donahoes over SAWs any day. Have had both. Quality of materials is better and the DR seems to withstand the SoCal salt air much better. I really wish I would have figured out a way to swap my DR's out of my Taco before I sold it. I just did not expect it to go for full asking pice within a week w/no advertising.

Saws ride nice so it is just materials for me that makes them worth the $$.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 AM

Thanks Guys for all your good imput!! After talking to Steve at Sonoran Steel I went with the Tundra/Land Cruiser Lift!!

The TRD Tokico Blue front coilover
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did those shocks come with the TRD logo from the factory? I thought it was just the "Tokico Gas Shocks" sticker?

thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM

hello everyone... me just new to the whole 4x4 thing, kinda got obsessed after my first 9 day surf/camp trip down to central baja.
i just wanted to post that i am going to order the donahoe front and rear suspension + deaver leaf spring package tomorrow. my 2003 tacoma dbl cab stock suspension wasn`t cuttn it on miles and miles of baja wash board doin up to 5o miles per hour. so after some good research time i figure donahoe has an xlent baja track record and considering the promise of on road performance aswell i am sold.

right now...
b-sides the custom long bed on my dbl cab tacoma,
all is stock. the transformation begins!...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
dude this thread is three years old....

donahoe isnt even donahoe anymore lol its called "icon vehicle dynamics" now