03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

BFG's: 6-ply or 10-ply?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG's: 6-ply or 10-ply?

Me wants new tires...

I've narrowed my choice down to BFG A/T's or MTZ's.
My only dilemma now is whether to go with the 6-ply or the 10-ply.

I want the peace of mind of the 10-ply but I don't want to suffer a bumpier ride. They'll be going on an '07 Tacoma DC Short Bed that is most likely never going to get lifted.

Why have I narrowed it down to two entirely different tires?? Point blank...the MTZ's are just plain badass. They look sweet, can take a beating and chicks dig 'em...haha. The MTZ's are an 8-ply and there is only one option.

What are your thoughts?
Will the ride quality be THAT much worse with 10-plys or would it be about the same as with the 6-plys?

Thanks!

Fink

*NOTE* I have searched *END NOTE*
Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM

i didn't mind my 10 ply ST-C's but to save a little mass and $$ i would go with the 6 ply
Old 01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cost isn't really a concern to me since I would only be saving about $40 or so. My biggest concern is whether the ride quality will be any more harsh with the 10-plys than it would be with the 6-plys.

Thanks again!!

Fink
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM

when i temporarily ran some 10 ply bfg a/ts that came off my dad's truck, i didn't notice that much of a difference from my 6-ply buckshots....and before everyone starts telling me that's 2 different tires, i know...just was comparing the ply-rating and to say i noticed no difference...
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
unless you are doing some serious weight hauling, I would could with the 6 ply...JMO...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was shopping for my BFGs, I was doing some searching online. I came across the size I have in both load range D and load range E. I'm assuming the higher ply rating is also the higher load range.

Anyway, the load range E has less tread depth. It's not a big difference, seems like it's 2/32", but I wanted the deeper tread. And since the BFGs have a good reputation for durability, I don't think that the 10 ply are needed. I went with the load range D.

Even if there isn't a ride difference, I would just get the 6 ply, unless I needed to haul or tow more than I do on a regular basis.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

I don't haul all that much weight. Mainly my 4wheeler and occasionally a load of mulch on a trailer.

William, you are right...the 10-ply is load rating E. Thanks for your opinion.

Another plus to the 6-plys is they are readily available, the 10's are on backorder.

Keep it comin' guys, still haven't made a decision...

Fink
Old 01-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

E load rating is overkill on a 4Runner and is more for trucks weighing over 5000lbs on up. D is fine.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfg/vehicleInfoSubmit.do

If the D rating was available in this size I would get it...however I either have to go down to a C rating or go up to a D rating. Being overkill doesn't bother me...that fits my personality, I like to prepared for anything.

I don't know how comfortable I am going down to a C rating, like I said, if there was a D rating I probably wouldn't have started this thread, haha.

My question is, is the ride going to be any more harsh/rough with the 10-ply versus the 6-ply? If there is not going to be a noticeable difference in ride quality, I will go with the E rating...that way I have a super durable tire and it doesn't cost all that much more.

Thanks for all the info and opinions!

By the way, these will be going on my '07 Tacoma DC Short Bed.

Fink
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

The ride will be noticeably harsher.

On a lighter truck the ride will be bouncy too since E load rating is for large full size trucks and SUVs. A truck weighing under 4500lb is especially light for an E tire.

Last edited by X-AWDriver; 01-16-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I could always go with the 8-ply MTZ's...

I would feel much more comfortable going with an 8-ply.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 01-16-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Turns out just about any tire imagineable that is available in the size I need is either a 6-ply or a 10-ply...they just don't seem to make the D load rating.

So...looks like I am leaning towards the BFG A/T in the 6-ply. I am going to call BFG and talk to them just to add one more opinion to the mix and then I'll go from there.

Keep the opinions coming, no decision has been made yet...

Fink
Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 PM

My BFG's are load range D, and I didn't notice any difference. If anything, the M/T's are smoother than the crap tires it had before. Basically, with the 4 extra plys it'd just be insurance against flats.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:35 PM

hey fink, you can never go wrong with bfgs, I just keep my radial long trails aired down and they do just fine! where you taking that yota off road at?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

I called BFG today to talk to them about it and see what they say.

The guy said that the ride will not be noticeably harsher. He said that because the sidewall ply is still 3-ply no matter which tire I go with, the only real difference is how tough the actual tread is. He said if go down a dirt road there might be a slight change, but he said under normal driving conditions it should not be that noticeably different.

Now, what do YOU all think about that?

I get what he is saying, but I can definitely see where the 10-ply would have a tendency to be a little bit rougher riding than the 6-ply but like he said, mainly on a dirt/gravel road where the rocks are actually hitting the center of the tread...unlike a speed bump or bump on the road where it is impacting the entire width of the thread.

Does any of that make sense?

Thanks guys!

Fink