03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Adding Fog Lights to 2003 4Runner SR5

Old 05-29-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Fog Lights to 2003 4Runner SR5

I know this is a topic routinely repeated on this forum, but the last thread I found was from 2012. So here is my situation and I'll try very hard not to bitch.

I purchased a set of stock fog lights for my truck. They came in and I installed them. Just as I hoped, there were a nice set of connectors for fog lights coming off the same harness as the turn signal lights. I checked the relay box, under the hood, and discovered that the fog light relay was fully populated with connectors. Then I tested each contact for power. Sure enough, one of the relay contacts does have power to it even when the truck is off.

So if the truck wiring harness already has fog light power plugs and a fully populated relay socket, why can't I find the plug that goes into the fog light switch? I understand that Toyota uses the same wiring harness on several model vehicles. If the truck is built with fog lights, the connectors are used and a relay and switch are installed. If the vehicle model doesn't come with fog lights, then those connectors are not used and the relay is not installed and the switch hole is filled with a blank.

So the switch I have has a connector on the back end with four wires: 1 Black, 2 Pinks with yellow stripes, and 1 green with a yellow stripe. All 4 wires also have a marking down their length of "- - - -" which I thought was a negative polarity marking, but all of them have it so it probably doesn't matter.

How do you fine folks suggest I get the information I need to wire the switch into the existing wiring harness? See photos of switch plug and wires. Since the switch was aftermarket, it has the wires, but I shouldn't need the wires, just the existing plug. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Adding Fog Lights to 2003 4Runner SR5-20170529_155431.jpg   Adding Fog Lights to 2003 4Runner SR5-20170529_155457.jpg   Adding Fog Lights to 2003 4Runner SR5-20170529_155513.jpg   Adding Fog Lights to 2003 4Runner SR5-20170529_155537.jpg  

Search this Thread