YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   2006 Tacoma Engine Tick (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f117/2006-tacoma-engine-tick-125495/)

OSU4Runner 09-24-2007 02:21 PM

2006 Tacoma Engine Tick

So I took my 2006 Tacoma into the stealership today to figure out this annoying a$$ ticking noise. Now I know there is a TSB out for 2005-2006 Tacomas to change the LH and RH exhaust manifolds, but my taco doesn't fall under that vin number. I've heard that even with the "new" exhaust manifolds, that it still doesn't help. So they told me that it was fuel injector pulsing, and that it was more pronounced due to the aluminum head. Does this sound like BS? Anyone else have this problem? I'm about to start bitching at Toyota, I payed $26,000 for a truck that sounds like a POS. The ticking is loud as HELL, you can hear it inside the cab with the windows rolled up. That also told me that it was a common problem on the 3.4, which I called BS on, my 3.4 has 89k on it and still sounds baby smooth.

Knuckles 09-24-2007 02:28 PM

my 3.4 ticks, its been doing it ever since iv been driving it. so is it the fuel injectors on the 3.4 that causes the ticking?

but if a real Toyota tech looked at it he has to know what he is talking about, they go to school for years and deal with Toyota's everyday.

they should seriously look into it more, you paid them your hard earned money, they shouldn't just blow you off.

fillsrunner4 09-24-2007 02:28 PM

is it already out of warranty. if not I would make them fix it regardless if its injector pulse. make them replace all injectors and tighten the exhaust.

fillsrunner4 09-24-2007 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24 (Post 50623465)
my 3.4 ticks, its been doing it ever since iv been driving it. so is it the fuel injectors on the 3.4 that causes the ticking?

but if a real toyota tech looked at it he has to know what he is talking about, they go to school for years and deal with toyotas everyday.

not neccisarily true ive talked to some dumba$$ toyota techs. ya there are real smart ones but ive even been told you cant do the 3.4 swap in place of 3.0 and most the time I go to toyota for a part I end up looking through their computer cause they dont know what they are doing even the techs.

OSU4Runner 09-24-2007 02:34 PM

I didn't get to talk to the mechanic, he had already left...Imagine that....The service rep seemed like he new what he was talking about, but you never know with dealerships. Its still under warranty, I haven't even had it a year. Anyone know what injector pulsing is? Whatever the ticking noise is coming from, it has gotten worse over the last 10,000 miles. I might wait a few weeks, then take it back in and keep complaining. It just pisses me off how horrible it sounds, and with only 15,000 miles on the truck.

juddemt 09-27-2007 05:54 PM

I haven't heard a 4.0L that doesn't have that annoying ticking sound.

keithguts 09-27-2007 06:07 PM

I just want to ask you a question, What did id sound like when you got it? If the ticking wasn't there then, well then I would bit%h about it. If anything, they should tell you about this when you buy. I wouild never put up with something like this, no way, no how. But, if the tick was there when you got it, well then that is another story.

OSU4Runner 09-28-2007 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by keithguts (Post 50626131)
I just want to ask you a question, What did id sound like when you got it? If the ticking wasn't there then, well then I would bit%h about it. If anything, they should tell you about this when you buy. I wouild never put up with something like this, no way, no how. But, if the tick was there when you got it, well then that is another story.

It was there when I bought it, but no where near as loud as it is now. I thought it was unusual when I first heard it on the lot, so we started up another Tacoma and it was about the same. But, the tick has gotten suggnificanly worse over the past 10,000 miles, before I could barely here it outside the cab, unless I had the hood open, now driving with the radio off, and the windows up, its very noticeable in the cab. Sounds like ......I'm just gonna stay on the dealerships a$$ about it. They already know me very well there, they tried to screw me over with my 4Runner tranny, and I gave them a world of hell. I plan on taking it back in probably in a few weeks.

OSU4Runner 09-28-2007 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by juddemt (Post 50626116)
I haven't heard a 4.0L that doesn't have that annoying ticking sound.

Weird...I've heard a few trucks do it. But, my buddy has the same year/model Tacoma as me, and it runs baby smooth...I don't get it

ryland 09-29-2007 05:35 PM

mine ticks, but not as bad as you are describing. my mechanic isolated it to an emissions component on the driver side of the black plastic cover. i tried a fix found on the web which was to remove the bolt holding in the component and place rubber o rings on both sides of it. i cant tell if it helped. its still there, but again, not that bad. one way to argue is if they tell you it is normal, then ask if we should bring our trucks in if they dont tick. i feel your pain. we paid a lot for our trucks and i would sure like it to sound good. my last truck was a 2000 tacoma, v6. that thing sounded like it had some guts under the hood! i immediatley noticed the difference when i got into my new truck, it just sounds wimpy. fortunately it is NOT wimpy and has plenty of power. good luck with the tick.

2007 tacoma, 4wd, auto, 4dr, long bed

elbandito 10-01-2007 08:10 AM

Run a search for TSB's related to an engine tick. I think if there's a TSB, it doesn't need to be within your warranty period.

keithguts 10-01-2007 08:23 AM

This might sound crazy, but I was told from a friend of mine that he had a very loud tick as well in his 2004 Tacoma. He keep taking it back to the steallership, and they told him the same as they were telling you. To make a long story shotr, he found that the valve covers were to tight. He backed off on the nuts a little, and the tick went away. I no this sounds crazy, but you never no.

hoggy 10-01-2007 08:20 PM

The 4.0 litre engine has a valve clearance adjustment indicating it's has solids which will tick louder as the clearance increases. I don't know the configuration of the OHCs such as bucket type or whatever. You're valves may need adjusting. It tells you the valve clearance on the post note under the hood. At least on my 07 4runner it does. I'm by no means a Toyota mechanic but I've owned older American cars that had solid lifters that I needed to adjust. Such as 427's and 273's from the 60's and early 70's. May not be the problem however as I said I'm no Toyota mechanic. This is my 1st foreign car ever.

OSU4Runner 10-02-2007 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by elbandito (Post 50628643)
Run a search for TSB's related to an engine tick. I think if there's a TSB, it doesn't need to be within your warranty period.

There is a TSB, but it doesn't apply to my truck. It was for the exhaust manifolds, they supposively caused the ticking. My truck came with the "new" exhaust manifolds. Guess they didn't work

wutastic 10-12-2007 05:04 PM

take off the intake manifold plastic cover. put your finger on one of the injectors while its running. that will tell u if its the injectors or not. if u were here in richmond, id take a look at ur truck.

UKMyers 04-15-2008 12:16 PM

I posted a video of my Borla exhaust on Youtube and 3 people replied telling me it sounded like my valves were out of adjustment. The truck had like 500 miles on it at the time. I took it in where I bought it and they let me hear one of theirs on the lot and it sounded the same. I think they are just a noisy engine.

Man4God 04-15-2008 12:38 PM

All Toyotas have noisy engines. My 3.4 sounds like what you describe. It runs great, sucks gas, and never fails to start. Every other 3.4 I have heard has the same sound. I think Toyota just builds them like that.

frick 04-16-2008 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by elbandito (Post 50628643)

Just for the record... TSB's are NOT recalls, if your truck is out of warranty the dealership does not have to fix your truck b/c of a TSB. A TSB is only a tool used by manufacturer's to help the techs diagnose problems easier. That being said, most dealerships will honor a TSB fix if you reported the problem within the warranty period.

mkgarrison5 05-15-2008 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Man4God (Post 50806479)
All Toyotas have noisy engines. My 3.4 sounds like what you describe. It runs great, sucks gas, and never fails to start. Every other 3.4 I have heard has the same sound. I think Toyota just builds them like that.

same here, i bought my 02 v6 taco with 52k miles and its ticked even today at 110k miles.. i think its just the nature of the beast. i really do. sometimes it gets loud and sometimes its not as bad.. either way she runs fine

UKMyers 05-15-2008 11:21 AM

I just switched my truck over to Royal Purple Synthetic two days ago and it quieted the engine down substantially.