03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

03 4runner v8 rear axle seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 4runner v8 rear axle seal leaking

So ive done some research on leaky rear axle seals but seems like i can only find info on gen3 4runners. Its a fairly bad leak if i do a bit of driving on the highway which is rare for me. I did check my breather valve for the rear diff its deffinitly messed up i will be doing that in the next few days. My question is like the 3rd gens most guys say the wheel bearings will wash out and fail early if this kind of leak happens. Is it true the same for 4th gens? Same basic install for seals, oring, bearing, and the abs wheel on the axle? Anyone else have a issue with breather valve causing leak? What did you end up doing if you have?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
No experience with 3rd or 4th gen 4runners, but a clogged diff breather will definitely allow the built up heat\pressure to push gear oil out the axle seals. As for premature bearing wear, I think as long as you keep the oil level as full as possible, you shouldn't do any real damage to the bearings. I'd replace that breather and see if the leaking stops, if it does not, then you might have to progress to changing the axle seals, and once you've gotten that far, then make a decision as to whether you change the bearings while you have the axle shafts out or not.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
even if the breather was the root cause and you fix that I would still replace the seal and bearings
a lot of shops will press bearings out and press the new ones in for you if you bring them the axle shafts

you don't mention how many miles are on it..

Last edited by dropzone; 09-12-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats what i was thinking after researching alot last night.. ˟˟˟˟ well looks like its time to go to the steelership womp womp