Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ZUK Coil Mod .....some notes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
ZUK Coil Mod .....some notes

I have 14 pics here to help understand what to check and what to expect. Expect 4.5" of new lift from your 86~89 Runner that still has the factory leafpacks/shackles. This is with using 14" x 125 pound rated Black magic coils. It seems to work for older pick-ups that have a sag issue also. Might not lift the pick-up a full 4.5". Here's the link to inspect them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RACING-C...#ht_1493wt_944
Smoking deal on them....probably $75 for 2 delivered to your door. Specify 125 pounders when ordering.

Some people are ok with the new rake look. But there is always the ball joint spacer blocks that can give the front end about 1.5" lift to offset the rake for the most part. New shocks might be needed....actually probably for sure with a 4.5" lift. The ride softness is considered phenomenal by some.

Here's some shots I took of my own 2001 Taco but the lift principles are the same as having the Runner.
I chose to have rubber mounts on the bottom AND top for mine though....just my choice. Here it is...the
daily driver and occasional trail rig.

Underside-- Bils really work well for me. They are pricey though. I had an unused pair of red coils laying
around(150 pounds per inch) so I recently used them to replace the "too soft" black 100pounds/inch. I
had a problem with the the lighter rated ones going brick mode on the deep ruts offroad. These HD ones
fixed that. The ride is more "firm". No more BAM! when I hit a bump though

Closer look showing the rubber stoppers top and bottom. I had to get the high speed sanding wheel out
to trim the rubber on the 4 corners such that the coil would slip 100% all the way on...that took 4 minutes
a side.

I seated the coil first and pushed the loosened up u-bolts out such that the coils would fully land on the pack.

The top rubbers are heavily tacked in 4 spots. The temporary heat did not get intense enough to melt
rubber or change the coil heat treatment.

Using a tape measure, I measured the length with just normal load on it...

10 and 3/4" long. These are 14 inch coils so that means they are compressing 3.25"...each coil is supporting
about 500 pounds for what it's worth.

So, using the Hi-Lift, I jack each slider up and shove a jackstand under the frame such that BOTH
wheels are off the ground. Maximum wheel drop is achieved with both off the ground,,,,probably not
the case if only one wheel is off the ground.

Now, I can determine if the coils will ever ever ever fall-out. Mine are not quite loose...and even if they
were loose up to 2 inches they still would not fall out due to the extended rubbers.

13 and 3/4"....I'm good to go. And, this is a measurement that should be done by anybody that is concerned
about the coil being long enough.

I already know my shocks are the right length but here's how I verified it...hold the tape up to the top end
of the chrome shaft...

...and see what it is at the bottom. I used my finger to figure out where it is and it is at 9.5"....and the
shocks I chose are 10" of travel so I'm right where I want it to be....it will never quite fully extend the
shock and damage it.

Another shot of the upper rubbers and the MIG welds. I was welding "out of place" so making pretty welds
is tough sometimes. They are strong though.

Last edited by ZUK; 10-26-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: adding text