Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

? for you guys with 1st gen roll bar in a 2nd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
? for you guys with 1st gen roll bar in a 2nd gen 4runner

So I got a 1st gen roll bar and cut it down the 2 1/4 " on all the legs but can't seem to get it to go through the rear and turn to fit where it should. I have almost punched out both windows trying to get it to turn and sit proper. Any hints on how to get it in right would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried folding the seats down and going through the rear passenger door?
I know i cant get my 1st gen rollbar off without taking the roof off....
Old 12-29-2007, 03:24 AM

I had a hard time with getting mine in. I took both rear sholder belts out and worked through the gate and both rear doors to get mine in... You need to try and get it to lay in position on the folded down rear seats then slide it back and stand it up.... But it was the biggest PITA there is to get it in there....
Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For mine I removed the driver side interior panel and the driver side rear quarter window, also the driver side rear shoulder seat belt assembly. It gave me just enough additional room to get it into place. You might want to check with the Wabbit, I believe he's done a few and may have an easier way.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Never put one in a 2nd gen 4Runner but on a 3rd gen we had to push the front seats all the way forward, fold the rear seats up and remove interior panels in the rear to get it in and we still scratched the window tint in a spot. We put the roll bar in through the 2nd row of doors, not from the rear. I know a 1st gen is narrower than a 3rd gen, so I imagine a 1st gen roll bar would fit in a 2nd gen as well and that it would be wider too. You could always cut it in half in an easily accessible spot and reweld it in the truck.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mistake, thought it was a 2nd gen , The 3rd gen has a little wider access from the back because of the lift up gate. Never even thought about going thru the rear doors, probably would have saved some time and reassembly. My guess is it could be done either way.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Have you tried folding the seats down and going through the rear passenger door?
I know i cant get my 1st gen rollbar off without taking the roof off....
I do have the seats folded down and it helps a bit thanks

Originally Posted by 91 4Runner
I had a hard time with getting mine in. I took both rear sholder belts out and worked through the gate and both rear doors to get mine in... You need to try and get it to lay in position on the folded down rear seats then slide it back and stand it up.... But it was the biggest PITA there is to get it in there....
Getting it in through the back and forward a enough to roll it back is the pita partseat belts i will take out today and see what I get thanks
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Never put one in a 2nd gen 4Runner but on a 3rd gen we had to push the front seats all the way forward, fold the rear seats up and remove interior panels in the rear to get it in and we still scratched the window tint in a spot. We put the roll bar in through the 2nd row of doors, not from the rear. I know a 1st gen is narrower than a 3rd gen, so I imagine a 1st gen roll bar would fit in a 2nd gen as well and that it would be wider too. You could always cut it in half in an easily accessible spot and reweld it in the truck.
Ya cut and reweld is what I was thinking if nothing else works hoping not to have to go that route but if thats what it tkaes well so be it thanks
Originally Posted by Dublin
My mistake, thought it was a 2nd gen , The 3rd gen has a little wider access from the back because of the lift up gate. Never even thought about going thru the rear doors, probably would have saved some time and reassembly. My guess is it could be done either way.
You are correct it is a 2nd gen 1990 gonna try to rear door access and see what happens thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 11:18 AM

I folded the seats and removed the rear seatbelts and went in through the rear doors, not the tailgate.

Lamm