YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Wobbly Auto Shifter (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/wobbly-auto-shifter-183335/)

cdreed06 05-31-2009 03:02 PM

Wobbly Auto Shifter

Hey all, does anyone know offhand what parts I need to fix a wobbly automatic shifter in a 89 pickup? Mine is really loose and I can hold it to the left and then the indicator will line up and show what gear I'm in. I know you can't diagnose from this far away but if anyone has done this before and a cheap fix is out there I would love to know, otherwise I will just keep saying to myself Park-Reverse-Neutral-Now Go. LOL

jmlmarine 09-09-2009 06:14 AM

I have the same problem.

I have had my 90 4runner for about 3 yrs and the shifter has gotten looser and looser since i have had it. I took the assembly apart and cant find anything that is causing it to be loose. I havent had to money to have anyone look at it and fix it but I have gotten a price on a whole new shifter but it is 357.28. I dont want to spend that kind of money when I can just pull it to the left and shift. The only problem that I have is that it is hard to get into part sometimes. As soon as I find some way to fix it cheaper i will let you know.

kellhammer 09-09-2009 06:27 AM

I have the same problem with my 1989 xtracab. I searched the forums and remember discussion about replacing a detent ball gizmo. Apparently, it's only a couple of bucks. But, can't seem to find the thread about it any more.

boxer.fan 10-20-2009 06:56 PM

BUMP !!!!!

I was hopeing the search button would work for this, but I dont see any answers yet so I thought I would bump it up again.

KtrainHurricane 02-11-2013 04:00 PM

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but this problem was never given a solution and a "search" provided me no answers either... (I am having the same problem)

Co_94_PU 02-11-2013 05:58 PM

Left to right movement is controlled by the pushings and pin at the base of the stick.

Pretty easy to figure out what is worn out one you get eyes on it, if it's not those bushings.

Here is a diagram for the 92(?) models, busing is 33501g and pin is 33511.

Stick is the one in the lower right corner.

SeanCeltiad 01-24-2015 02:37 AM

'03 4Runner automatic shifter loose

hi, I've suddenly got a L to R wobble with my gear shift selector especially 3rd to Drive. I've gotten down to removing everything and can see a SS tension? clip with a hooked end on what I can see, did not see any springs or broken plastic in cavity below and am wondering if someone can tell me before I remove the black plastic "lid" to see where this clip might go is there anything that i will have to be very careful of under that lid piece, it's held on by a shift lever lock pin and shift lever lock nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated asap due to appt at dealership who usually know less than I do thanks to these forums and their members.
Thank you,
CeltiLad :bowdown2:

Hrddrvs 01-24-2015 01:10 PM

Look at this.... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...er-fix-267369/

SeanCeltiad 01-24-2015 04:06 PM

Are you saying that..........

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hrddrvs (Post 52249781)

Ok, are you telling me that this has nothing to do with the shift lever guide housing inside the 2003 4Runner and that what needs to be done is underneath it from the outside ?
If so then what is the piece of metal, flat with hooked end that is obviously out of place inside the shift lever guide housing ? And last is the shifter lever doing nothing more than controlling the cable ? which is the reason you sent me to the link re fixing this problem from underneath ?
Thank you for the reply and your help. Hope the pics make it.
SeanCeltiad

Hrddrvs 01-24-2015 06:14 PM

I did'nt realize you need info on a 2003.The link I posted is for 86-95 trucks and 4runners.Try the 4th and 5th generation trucks and 4runners forum on this site.Best of luck.