Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windows won't go all the way up. And comes out of track

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows won't go all the way up. And comes out of track

I just got this truck. I have a lot of wind noise on the drivers side. I thought it was the door seal. I got to looking at it better and it's the window seal. It is hard and shrunken and will not let the glass go all the way up into it at the top.

I tried WD-40 and Vaseline. I even ran a screwdriver in the channel. But it will still not go in all the way. The only thing I know to try next is a hair dryer. If that doesn't work I might have to cut the groove bigger some how. What have I got to loose,,,lol.

Also. I went to roll down the passenger side and it literately fell out of the track on the bottom. I can not get it to go back in all the way unless I totally remove the lower track rubber and slide it on the window. Which is very hard to do. That rubber is hard and shrunken too. But then it just falls out when ever I try to use it. How is it supposed to be held in. Just a friction fit. I see no way to hold it securely.

Any suggestions. Thanks
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It has been a while since I have been into a door but I think the bottom of the track where the rubber sits is/was riveted. I have used some black glue to put my rubber seal back into the track to get it to stay.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck didn't have a passenger Window Run when I got it. I went to Toyota and got a new one. I do not remember having to put anything on it for it to stay in place. If it has a vent window the part should be 68141-89108 same as 4Runners if yours can not be fixed.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You may need new OEM window runs - $75-80 each side. You should have a horizontal aluminum piece holding the window at the bottom that pushes the glass up/down with the motor/crank. If that’s missing, try junkyard or online or OEM - need to match the bottom of the Drivers window setup.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles4x4
You may need new OEM window runs - $75-80 each side. You should have a horizontal aluminum piece holding the window at the bottom that pushes the glass up/down with the motor/crank. If that’s missing, try junkyard or online or OEM - need to match the bottom of the Drivers window setup.
I should know better. But I bought some used window runs for $18. Better than dealer price. They should be here in a couple of days. I might have just tore up a $20 bill and threw it in the air,,,lol.

As far as the window staying in goes. All the parts are there. But the rubber piece that the glass sits in will not stay seated in the metal piece that the cranks operates. It's very hard to get it into place. But of course if I take the glass out the rubber will go right in. What holds that aluminum piece into the cranking piece?