Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Why in the heck would my starter turn over when I put in my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why in the heck would my starter turn over when I put in my clutch?

Wouldn't know where to begin with figuring this problem out. It started happening after it got rained on in a hell of a storm with the top and doors off (the thing was soaked, gallons draining out).

While my truck is running, everytime I put the clutch in all the way to the floor, it turns my starter over. Im pretty sure its my starter. It's that nasty sound when you turn the key and its already running.

The first time I just turned it on and off a couple times and it stopped and didn't do it for a month or so. Now after playing in some mud, I washed it and was under it the with the hose.

Same thing. Did it a couple times, I let it run for a little bit, turned it on and off a few times. And its gone

ANy ideas? Is there some sort of wiring for the starter and clutch connected or tied in somewhere?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had this happen once, right after I had a replacement key made. They locksmith had to disassemble the lock to make the key from measuring the tumblers as I don't have the original passenger door handle, which is where the key code is stored (DOH!).

Never found out why, but I'd venture it's something to do with the ignition switch.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only connection I can think of is the clutch cancel button. All toy's have them so either you have to have your clutch in to turn over the starter or you have to push the clutch cancel button. The wireing that supports this system does tie your clutch to your starter so if your ignition switch is shorting out and is somehow stuck in start and not actualy returning to run everytime you pushed in your clutch it would send a signal to your starter.

That would be my best guess hope it helps.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, the starter signal goes from the ignition cylinder, through a relay on the passenger firewall, high up on the right side of the dash. It could be that your starter signal is shorted to "always on" and the only thing stopping it from turning is the clutch safety switch, so when you push in the clutch, the safety switch is off and your starter goes. I would start with a new ignition switch, then if that didn't work, I would run new wire to the starter myself, bypassing all the relays.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 on the relays being wet and having a short across them. That would be the first thing I would check.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Makes sense. Im going to give it a try and see what happens. thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DaddyRunner
The only connection I can think of is the clutch cancel button. All toy's have them
Not all of em. My 99 Taco does but my dads 99 4Runner does not