Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who wants to finally see homemade hoodscoop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants to finally see homemade hoodscoop?

http://m1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ster1/?src=www Sorry but Im doing this from my phone so you'll have to go to the boto˟˟˟˟˟et page.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM

http://m1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ster1/?src=www I meant to say photo bucket.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
debating whether to chop my hood or not... seems so wrong but really helps both temperature and motor clearance...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Took me a while to commit to chopping also.After I hit a dear and dented the hood I bought one off craigslist then I chopped the dented one,made the scoop fixed the dent and put it back on.Now the craigslist hood is in the basement.This hoodscoop was to keep the engine bay and specifically the crossover pipe cool.You wouldnt believe how good it works.The hood remains cold to the touch no matter how much driving I do.And when you pop the hood you can hold your hand on the intake plenum which was unheard of before I did the mod.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Could be my imagination but I think it runs better with the colder engine bay.The air going through the intake is much cooler.From what I know engines like cold air.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's awesome. I think you're right about the cold air, my truck loves as much cold air as it can get. Once it gets hot in the summer, 100+, my truck gets sluggish again. That roof scoop is probably better than getting a K&N cold air intake mod.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Thanks man I put a lot of work into it and I love the results and the response from the truck.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM

looks nice , i wonder how much work it be to put a hood scoop from a gen 3 4Runner onto a gen 1 hood
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 87 turbo truck so it gets pretty hot under the hood from the turbo and manifold. I put a hole directly above the manifold/turbo and put the side intake vent off a 1st gen mr2 on it to vent out the heat. It's gotta be doing something,you can see the heat waves right in front of you at stop lights rising through the vent.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 AM

Im not sure which would be easier,using the scoop from a 3rd gen. hood or fabbin your own scoop.There would be a lot more cutting with the 3rd gen. hood.I think fabbin your own from flat metal stock like I did would be the easier route.But I think the 3rd gen. would look better.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 AM

Roof,
what about snow or water getting into the engine area?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 PM

At first I worried about rain and was going to make a cover I could snap on in those situations.Before I could get around to it I was caught in a terrential downpour for like an hour.When I finally popped the hood it was dry.Seems like either the water just vaporizes or doesnt get far enough up to be an issue.So I havnt bothered to make the cover.I really dont even like driving my truck in the rain unless I have to.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the vent on my hood above the turbo/exhaust the water just burns off. I figure when I start it up in the morning,rain or not the manifold gets hot enough it just burns right off.No biggie.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM

have you ever see a toyota with an electric fan on the hood? as an extractor
I see a lot of the cherokee croud doing that as they have the same "big" engine in cramped enginebay problem that we have and those trucks like to get hot

It gets pretty hot in summer and even in winter my trucks seems to run on the hot side and I think the fan on the hood looks cool
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM

That scoop looks great! After seeing yours I think I'm gonna build one too. I was thinking about buying a cowl scoop, but I have some sheet metal around so I think I'll just use that. I'm gonna build a cowl just to get the hot air out. Not too worried about getting cold air in and I like the idea of a fan hoping that I get air flow coming through the radiator and as it heats up the fan will suck it up and out the back of the cowl. How big is that scoop? You worried about it not having a bead rolled in it to stiffen it up and not vibrate being sheet or did you do any stiffener in it underneath?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 AM

Actually Travis h I did roll the front edge and crimped it flat to add strength.I used 3 rivets on each side and 3 rivets on the back edge to secure it to the hood.I also built up the front edge a bit with bondo and feathered it back to add a bit of mass to resist any warbling.The thing is solid,no movement at all.The only downside if you want to call it a downside is a slight humming from the wind blowing in,like blowing in the top of a bottle,but a deeper resonance.The size is 12" wide up front tapering to about 10" wide in back,about 14" long,2.5" maybe 3" high at the mouth.Works aqesome
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 AM

Funny thing is all the 3rd gen. hoodscoops I look at have a solid piece of honeycomb plastic covering the mouth so theyre basically for show.Why would Toyota ruin aerodynamics and not try to benefit from the scoop by not opening it up?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Because the rest of the truck is a brick and the hood scop isn't going to add dramatic drag and looks sometimes rule over functionalty and buyers loved the scoop functional or not. The reality tho' an open scoop on the 3rd gens would just lead to a dirty hotter running engine even if cooler air is getting under the hood. I'd rather have a clean engine since an open scoop probably isn't adding anything to peformance.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Good idea on crimping it over I couldn't even tell. Looks good. I'm going to fold the back over and crimp it flat on mine too, but maybe roll a bead down the center or brace it inside somehow. I'm doing mine longer that what yours is I think the cowls don't look good short.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lowering temps adds significant enough performance, that's the whole reasoning with the CAI's. Colder air is denser which means more O2 molecules in the same amount of space. add more fuel to that and presto, more power.

I don't understand why there's a huge following of people that knock on hood scoops, I could care less about the looks but they do help with underhood temps and if you go offroading, you can just make a cover for inside it.

My runner will probably get chopped after I do a motor swap as much as I don't want to cut into a perfectly good hood, it's worth it.

Another very effective way to reduce your temps is to use alcohol injection pre-TB, check out TexasAce's thread with the video; drops the intake temps dramatically.

Quick Reply: Who wants to finally see homemade hoodscoop?