YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Whining sound (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/whining-sound-65724/)

cccp 08-21-2005 11:01 AM

Whining sound

I have been driving lately and i got a whining sound in my engine. I am not sure where it is comming from but it only happens when i press on the gas pedal. Can anyone please help and tell me what this sound is and can i still drive with it.

superjoe83 08-21-2005 11:09 AM

i would check you power steering fluid level

cccp 08-23-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by superjoe83
i would check you power steering fluid level

I cheked my power steering fluid and it was half way full. I put some in but it still goes on. I think i figured where the sound is comming from... now i am not a mechanic so i will try to explain this as good as i can. The sound is comming from behind the belts (alternator, power steering, ect.) :think: Hope this helps.

L33T35T 4Runner 08-23-2005 12:40 PM

i just want to make sure its 100% positive it's coming from the engine compartment. i had a whining sound for the longest time when i first got my truck, i thought something was seriuosly wrong, it changed with engine speed. it turned out to be my stereo making the sound, alternator whine.

cccp 08-23-2005 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
i just want to make sure its 100% positive it's coming from the engine compartment. i had a whining sound for the longest time when i first got my truck, i thought something was seriuosly wrong, it changed with engine speed. it turned out to be my stereo making the sound, alternator whine.

I am positive it is comming from my engine. its not my stereo. Because when i press the gas pedal it starts doing it.

LittleRedToyota 08-23-2005 01:44 PM

which engine do you have? if it is the 22RE (4cyl), it could be the power steering tensioner bearing. they have been known to go bad and make all kinds of horrible sounds.

if you go to toyota, they will tell you (or at least three different dealers told me) you have to buy the whole assembly for like $100, but you can actually just buy the bearing for less than $10 (got mine at a local bearing shop called "Applied Technologies, Inc.", but i think napa might carry them).

the bearing number is: SKF 6204-RSJ, NSK 6204V, or equivalent

takes about 20 minutes to replace it.

(btw, to test, just take off the power steering belt and run the engine...see if the whine is still there. if not, it's most likely that bearing...though it could be the power steering pump, too.)

ayoung101 08-23-2005 02:01 PM

i had a strange and annoying whining sound once that was coming from somewhere inside back when i had my camry. it took me awhile to figure out the origin of it. it turns out that it was coming from about 2 feet to the right of the driver's seat and only happened when my ex-girlfriend was in the car with me. well, needless to say, problem solved. no more whining, not even when i sold it at 220k.

cccp 08-23-2005 04:18 PM

My engine is the 3 v ze and its the 6cyl. 3.0L

justanother4x4 09-15-2005 07:33 PM

have you checked the fan for stress cracks and movement, that is where my noise is coming from

LittleRedToyota 09-16-2005 06:56 AM

could be the fan clutch also...they whine sometimes...strangely enough, when they are working properly.

(my truck had a bad one when i got it...the bad one never made any noise, but i would overheat crawling up steep hills. put on a new fan clutch and the overheating was solved, but, dang, that thing can whine like a bi...um...er, well let's just say it can be pretty loud when it engages.)

Tomsriv 09-27-2005 12:07 PM

It could also be a vacuum leak.

Snorkeldepth 09-27-2005 12:34 PM

The timing belt idler bushings make a lot of noise when they get old. I replaced mine for that reason when I changed my timing belt the time before last. Make sure it's not your belts making all that racket. My belts have been known to make all sorts of noise. Belt dressing spray takes care of that.

86SR522REEFI 10-13-2005 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
i had a strange and annoying whining sound once that was coming from somewhere inside back when i had my camry. it took me awhile to figure out the origin of it. it turns out that it was coming from about 2 feet to the right of the driver's seat and only happened when my ex-girlfriend was in the car with me. well, needless to say, problem solved. no more whining, not even when i sold it at 220k.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats hilarious

sandcrawler 10-14-2005 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota
could be the fan clutch also...they whine sometimes...strangely enough, when they are working properly.

i second that; could be the fan clutch.

sandcrawler 10-14-2005 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota

i second that; could be the fan clutch.

Ganoid 10-16-2005 02:13 AM

My truck whines a little from behind the timing cover (sounds kinda cool actually) I figure I got the timing belt just a bit tight when I changed it last. I been meaning to pull it apart and back it off a bit but I haven't yet. The only other parts of interest back there are idlers and a water pump?